The Packers drafting a QB.

Calhoun Lambeau

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is something I haven't seen anywhere. I think Thompson will no doubt draft a QB this year. We won't be able to keep Matt Flynn past next season, I think a trade will be worked out after next season. We have to have a replacement for Flynn which means we have to bring one in this off-season.

With Ted you never know what's going to happen, but I would guess from rounds 4-7 it's a real possibility.

Any QB's who figure to go later you guys like?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think an ace QB should be brought in for a few more years.
Kinda like they did with Rodgers.
If they bring in an ace now, then he is going to leave for a team where he can start.
Is it really worth "wasting" draft picks on an awesome QB who may not stick around too long?
They should make wise picks and choose players who can contribute now instead of years down the road or not at all. Like they did with Buluga.

I'll leave it up to TT and other personal and have trust that they know what's best for the team.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I don't think an ace QB should be brought in for a few more years.
Kinda like they did with Rodgers.
If they bring in an ace now, then he is going to leave for a team where he can start.
Is it really worth "wasting" draft picks on an awesome QB who may not stick around too long?
They should make wise picks and choose players who can contribute now instead of years down the road or not at all. Like they did with Buluga.

I'll leave it up to TT and other personal and have trust that they know what's best for the team.
He's not talking about replacing Rodgers.

He's talking about using a low round pick to replace Flynn when he either leaves or gets traded.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
100% depends on how the team feels about our 3rd string QB. If they feel he is making progress and might be ready in another year then they should not draft a QB.

hansel13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would take a shot with Scott Tolzien from Wisconsin. Dude's accurate as heck.

Meh Wisconsin's running game makes Tolzien's stats look better by throwing it to wide open receivers on play action. He's not worth a pick in this draft. There's better QB prospects out there that we can get in a 4-5 round pick. Like Greg McElroy or Andy Dalton.

hansel13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And on top of that, if you take out Tolzien's cupcake games where they scored 70 or more (Austin Peay, Indiana, and Northwestern), Tolzien only had 6 touchdowns and 6 interceptions on the season, which is horrible for 10 games. And his completion rate is much more down to earth.

Like I said, better QB prospects out there IMO.

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know. I'm looking at the list of late round QBs and I'm not sure any of them are better than Graham Harrell. Graham Harrell's already been in the offense for a year, so I'm guessing he's learned and improved a whole lot. Then again, TT and the coaches know him better than I do, so we'll see if they think we need another QB.

Spriggins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess it all depends on how fast the CBA gets done. I think Flynn would be shopped if its wrapped up soon, but if a lockout is underway, I think we'll keep Flynn and the need for a rookie back-up isn't necessary.

OP
OP
Calhoun Lambeau

Calhoun Lambeau

Cheesehead
Reaction score
100% depends on how the team feels about our 3rd string QB. If they feel he is making progress and might be ready in another year then they should not draft a QB.

I haven't heard anything about Graham Harrell, and our coaching staff loves talking up players to the media, maybe I've missed something with Harrell, but it seems like he's just there for the sake of being there.

We as fans don't know, but I just get that feeling.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harrell seems like a good kid, but i don't think you can put him in a game. He is perfect for the practice squad. I would assume they would trade Flynn, draft a backup and keep harrell on the practice squad.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Graham Harrell will be a fine back up, I don't see them drafting a QB this year, maybe a UDFA but not drafting one. another off season in the QB school and he'll be solid. Green Bay may again become the QB breeding ground it was under Holmgren

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I think so too fettpett, I believe the Packers can coach up lower ranked QBs, Flynn was a 7th rounder wasn't he? Harrell was prolific and a winner in college, even if people call him a "system" QB.
Brohm was just a bust, glad we got Flynn in the same draft. I don't think it's crazy the Packers might select a late QB, Flynn is as good as gone I think. I'd love to see him next year, but then we'd get nothing for him. Pick your poison.

Reaction score
greg mcelroy is smart but not physically gifted. he can find holes in the opposing defense but he can't throw the ball a long way. he is almost the reverse of what greenbay needs to draft. green bay needs to pick up a physically talented qb that needs to improve mentally. you can teach reading skills. you can't teach speed or arm power.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
no, just no, we dont need a QB, we have a VERY talented backup in Flynn, and another potential great backup in Harrel.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I've heard is that Harrell is doing great, will be in his 3rd, most important year in the system, the management really likes him, and he wants to stick around, even if in PS, to learn and become a better QB.

If TT realy likes a QB like, say, Ponder, and he drops to great value, then I could definitely see them taking a QB.

But, otherwise, no, I don't think they look for one, and, quite frankly, I think they overlook in favor of other positions (if the value isn't too good).

I think this doesn't need to be said, but I'll mention it anyway. By value I mean, hypotetically, that, say, Ponder is graded as a top 3rd rounder, and when we pick in the bottom 4th, he's still there, and there are no other guys to pick in that position with the same value.

Members online

Latest posts