The Packers behind The Packers

• Thread starter I_am_smoked_cheddar
  • Start date

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course, speculation persists that the underlying agenda is a long term plan for a domed stadium, though it's hard to see how they could pull that off in any foreseeable future.
Rumor has it that the Vikings sent them the inflatable roof they had over the Metrodumb.
You know.
The one that caved in and got a hole when the snow came in.
It's OK though.
It's all patched up with duct tape.
It's packed up in crates where Brett Favre's locker used to be.

:D

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea the Packers are considered a "small market team" but the money that team generates for that city has to be incredible. Hotels, resteraunts, etc. have to make a killing during football season. I remember checking out of my hotel room to go to the game and seeing dozens of people dressed in Packer gear...it was a surreal sight being my first ever trip to Green Bay. The drive to the game was even more surreal. It's kinda like the spurs here in san antonio, the city doesn't really have another major sports team so during basketball season San Antonio generates a ton of revenue.

Rodell

Every Green Bay Packer Home game weekend brings in Est. $11M spent in Green Bay/Brown County.by Packer football fans and fans other NFL team.
This money is spent by fans in hotels, restaurants, bars, sports bars and Grills , gas stations , retail stores etc.

Estimated. 112,000 football fans come to Green Bay in the month August to attend Packer training camp practices at Ray Nitschke Stadium. These football fans spend millions during their stay in Green Bay/Brown County .
Green Bay's Lambeau Field is a destination of Packer fans all year, but big time in the summer months.

In fact, The State of Wisconsin Department of Tourism estimate Tourist (including Packer Fans) and conventions business brings over $500M annually into Green Bay/Brown County .

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO one of the main jobs of the executive committee is to stay out of football decisions. Before Lombardi and then during the “dark ages” one of the biggest problems with the Packers was interference by board members who didn’t know much about football. That’s why I view Harlan’s decision to create the position Wolf filled, or to infuse it a lot of power regarding football operations was a watershed moment in the history of the Packers. Its been reported that Lombardi wouldn’t have taken the Green Bay job if he weren’t also given the power of the GM. And the same with Wolf, he wanted the power needed to rebuild the team. It’s no accident success followed both hires.

We can argue about who fills the various positions in Green Bay but I hope we keep the current structure in place. IMO, the executive board should evaluate the job the president and CEO (Murphy) is doing. The president and CEO should evaluate the job the GM/VP of football operations (Thompson) is doing and he should hire and fire the HC. And I would prefer the GM and HC jobs not be merged again.

That we haven’t heard much about the executive committee is good news that I hope continues.

Jack.

The chair person of Packer 7 member Executive Committee is the spoke person for this committee is Mark Murphy, Murphy has the position of Packer President /CEO and also chair person of the Packer Executive Committee.

I don't think in this modern era of NFL , we will ever see the Green Bay Packers go back to dual position of Packer GM , Director of Football Operation and also Head Coach of Packers. Mike Sherman (2001-2004) will be last person to have those dual positions for the Packers. . .

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides the stock issuance and stadium expansion, the most notable thing I've read coming from above the football operation in the past few years is the buying up of land around the stadium. The value of the land took a big hit during the financial crisis; to what degree it has recovered I'll leave to the locals.

What's it for? The stated purpose is to develop an entertainment district around the stadium, something that will generate more revenue during game weeks and for the other 40 - 42 weeks during the year. They've done this in Indy around the dome, but it's supported by other events besides football games as Indy likes to bill itself as the "amateur athletics capital of the world", or at least they used to have pretensions to such. On a large scale, clearly beyond the reach of Green Bay but still an aspirational example, is the LA Forum district....

I'm not sure how this would work in Green Bay, albeit on a smaller scale.'

HRE

The Packers decided to buy 17 acres of land west of Lambeau Field on Lombardi Access street. The Packer hired a Firm of Developers from Milwaukee. . It is not just a Entertainment district. Packer plans for this Titletown District will be announced later on in 2014 when the plans should be finalized for this project.

However the first building was built on land leased by Packers to Cabela.
Cabela built a 100,000 sq. Cabela's Sporting goods retail store This storehas 200 employees and opened on July 26, 2013.
Cabela's is consider the anchor on west end of Titletown Project near hwy 41 and Lombardi Av. . Cabela's has be a success and generated lots of customer traffic In the Lambeau Field area.

PWT

GreenDeath

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course, speculation persists that the underlying agenda is a long term plan for a domed stadium, though it's hard to see how they could pull that off in any foreseeable future.

The fan base would revolt if they ever attempted to turn Lambeau into a domed/retractable roof stadium.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Rodell

Every Green Bay Packer Home game weekend brings in Est. $11M spent in Green Bay/Brown County.by Packer football fans and fans other NFL team.
This money is spent by fans in hotels, restaurants, bars, sports bars and Grills , gas stations , retail stores etc.

Estimated. 112,000 football fans come to Green Bay in the month August to attend Packer training camp practices at Ray Nitschke Stadium. These football fans spend millions during their stay in Green Bay/Brown County .
Green Bay's Lambeau Field is a destination of Packer fans all year, but big time in the summer months.

In fact, The State of Wisconsin Department of Tourism estimate Tourist (including Packer Fans) and conventions business brings over $500M annually into Green Bay/Brown County .

Well yea that definitely qulifies as making a killing haha.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The fan base would revolt if they ever attempted to turn Lambeau into a domed/retractable roof stadium.
Fan base be danged. I'm paying for that stadium and I would like to see it used more than about 48 hours a year. The "other" events hinted at during the last taxpayer shakedown have been very few. The Atrium has been used I'll admit but not the bowl. One major concert, a hockey game or two and an upcoming college football game. The snowmobile races were scrubbed by the weather. That is about it. Oh, and the annual shareholder meeting.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The chair person of Packer 7 member Executive Committee is the spoke person for this committee is Mark Murphy, Murphy has the position of Packer President /CEO and also chair person of the Packer Executive Committee.
I know, thus:
IMO, the executive board should evaluate the job the president and CEO (Murphy) is doing.
Whether it's the executive board or the board of directors who officially have the power to replace Murphy, my guess is the executive board members would have more of a say than board members.
I don't think in this modern era of NFL , we will ever see the Green Bay Packers go back to dual position of Packer GM , Director of Football Operation and also Head Coach of Packers. Mike Sherman (2001-2004) will be last person to have those dual positions for the Packers…
I hope not but as you noted, Harlan after (IMO) correcting the structure of the organization made the mistake of reverting to the GM/HC model because he was so fond of Sherman. And that happened in the modern era. Who is to say what Murphy would do if Thompson retires and McCarthy leaves too (either voluntarily or not)? I hope Murphy would find the best VP/GM candidate he could find and allow him to hire a HC, but if the hottest HC prospect wants the GM powers too… I don’t expect it, I just don’t know.

BTW, if you have been a fan since the 1940s , you know the contribution Jack Vainisi made in ‘setting the table’ for Lombardi. It’s not a big deal but I’d prefer being referred to as TJV, or Thx. My forum name is an homage to Vainisi, but I’m not “Jack”.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I used to think that as well. ... but as I get older the thought of a warm dome playoff game in January looks better and better. :D
I hear you on that point.
Since I have sworn off cold weather games at Lambeau, I know if it was domed I would be there in December and January.
I also know it would be much harder to get tickets no matter what time of year.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear you on that point.
Since I have sworn off cold weather games at Lambeau, I know if it was domed I would be there in December and January.
I also know it would be much harder to get tickets no matter what time of year.

I went to a December Packer game in Detroit years ago... and I'm not gonna lie... it was pretty nice to sit and watch a game comfortably without freezing my arsh off.

Members online

Latest posts