The only NFL Draft preview that really matters

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
is mine

This is the most important draft since I've been a Packer fan, and this will make or break ted thompson's regime as packers GM

1-5) AJ Hawk, OLB, Ohio State--Don't trade this pick
--Fact...Mario Williams isn't going to make it past #2 or #4
--Fact...Vernon Davis is a tight end. Other top ten picks at this position--Kyle Brady, Rickey Dudley, Kellen Winslow Jr. The best tight end in the NFL played his college ball at Kent State. On the basketball team.
--AJ Hawk is the best pick at this spot. We lost out on LaVar Arrington. Hawk will help take some of the pressure off of Nick Barnett immediately. Hawk-Barnett-Thomas/Taylor is a solid linebacking core depth wise and quality wise, Hawk is the best option right here

Also possibly available:
-Micheal Huff, DB, Texas: Draws comparisons to Ronnie Lott, Marquand Manuel is solid but...
-D'Brickshaw Ferguson, OT, UVA: Nothing to stir an irritable fanbase like drafting o-line first pick

2-36) Ashton Youboty, CB, Ohio State
--This 2nd round pick is just as important, someone will slip from the first round, and Youboty could be the guy
--Similar to Ahmad Carroll, only three years of college ball, great athletic ability, a little more physical than Carroll plays. The difference is we don't have to throw Youboty into the fire right away. Carroll enters his 3rd season and hopefully he's learned a thing or two, Youboty could ease into the nickelback spot and we could have a solid defensive backfield.

Also available:
-Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College--injury and work ethic concerns have him slipping into the 40's, still a freak of an athlete
-Deuce Lutui (SoCal), Max Jean Giles (UGA), Devin Joseph (Oklahoma) OG's...all too fat to play zone blocking, don't draft them
-Darnell Bing, S, USC...Solid athlete who can play the run as well as the pass. Again, I'm not confident on Manuel OR Roman
-Maurice Stovall, WR, Notre Dame...A huge target, he's 6'5, could slide in as a 3rd reciever right off the bat and be a solid red zone target

3-67) Babatunde Oshinowo, DT, Stanford
--He's 6'2 305, and can easily bulk up. I honestly don't think Colin Cole is that good, it's just that he got support because there really wasn't much else we had going our way in 2005. Ryan Pickett was added to be an every down DT, and I think Oshinowo could alternate with Colin Cole to be a solid run presence.

4-104) Mark Setterstrom, OG, Minnesota
--I like his intangibles better than Elsinger, that and I think Scott Wells is dependable at center. Minnesota played a zone blocking scheme similar to ours, I think he can step in and start (hey, Whitticker did...)

5-139) Devin Aromashudu, WR, Auburn
--6'2, Ran sub 4.4 in the 40, he just needs to have his game refined by our coaching staff. Will be #4 or 5 on the depth charts and might contribute

5-165) Andre Hall, RB, South Florida
--With Ahman Green, Najeh Davenport and Samkon Gado holdin' it down--Running back is not a day one need, I cannot re-itterate this enough. I take a chance and take a high risk/high reward running back who could develop while riding the bench, or could turn out to be nothing. Andre Hall put up huge numbers this year, his stock has fallen behind the other mid-round running backs because of lower 40 times, which I don't think matter that much. Scouts say Andre Hall could be a good value pick because of his vision and cutting ability--go for it.

7-253) Justin London, ILB, UCLA
--Provides some depth and help on special teams

there you have it, fire away...

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice work all though I think Nick Mangold is got to be in consideration for our round 2 pick. He's a perfect fit for our zone blocking scheme and could play C or LG for us.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm kinda hoping they will pick Tony Manderich in the first round.......we DO need O-line help.......... :wink: :lol:

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not To Shabby this year is nice because we pretty much have to first round picks seeing as there will be people with 1st round grades that are going to fall into our lap :D and they will both be starters most likely,even our round pick will most likely be a starter and we can get a good player in this spot to so I am looking forward to this years draft.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good job...dont necessarily agree with all the picks but i like this draft better than most "professional" ones.... and whether all the facts are right or not. a very decent proposal.

OP
OP
H

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
good job...dont necessarily agree with all the picks but i like this draft better than most "professional" ones.... and whether all the facts are right or not. a very decent proposal.

This is a more of a "what i think we should do" draft...you and i both know that ted thompson is going to find some players from some school we've never heard of...

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My gut feeling is that the #5 pick will be traded away for more picks. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. There is no gaurantee that Hawk or Huff or anybody else will be a stud. This is a pretty deep draft and picking up more picks could yield 4 or 5 starters as opposed to 2 or 3 (just as an example). TT is obviously in no rush and we all know how much he loves the draft. Last years draft was a shining example of how he operates...did we ever draft out of an original spot? Anyways, my money is on us trading out of #5.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well it is a deep draft I think Hawk is a no brainer. I hope he does not pass on him for more picks

OP
OP
H

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Well it is a deep draft I think Hawk is a no brainer. I hope he does not pass on him for more picks

I've seen Hawk drop to 8th in some mocks, its a reach but it could happen, I think the best option is we could swap to #7 with the oakland raiders, possibly pick up a 3rd (or a 2nd depending on how much al wants it) and possibly end up with hawk, or definitely huff at #7

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
This is a more of a "what i think we should do" draft...you and i both know that ted thompson is going to find some players from some school we've never heard of...

Yeah thats why I made my draft with some smaller school guys. It actually somewhat similar

Round 1 - AJ Hawk - No brainer for me. Hawk and Barnett together would be awesome! Pure athlete, tough as nails!

Round 2 - Nick Mangold C Ohio State - I would like to see a Guard at this spot but the only 2 that would be worth this pick are Jean-Gilles and Lutui but I don't think either one of them fit the mold for what we are looking for in the zone-blocking scheme. If Mangold is gone I think Lutui is a better pick.

Round 3 - Kevin Boothe OG Cornell - I know this may be a reach but this guy is an animal. Very Quick OG and would fit perfectly in the Zone Blocking Scheme.

Round 4 - Devin Aromashodu WR Auburn - Good size with a nice "Burst." Would be a nice Deep Threat and is also one of the top kick returners available. Would fill the KR position instantly.

Round 5A - Chris Gocong DE Cal Poly - Underrated DE with a knack of getting to the ball

Round 5B - Tim Day TE Oregon - Good Size and will make the amazing catch from time to time.

Round 6 - Reuben Houston CB Georgia Tech - Physical cover man and solid Tackler. If we sign Woodson I would go Guard here.

Round 7A - Chris Kuper OG North Dakota - Raw and Nasty. Definitely needs to be refined but could be a late round gem

Round 7B - Kent Smith - QB Central Michigan - Very Raw but is mobile. Fills the need as a third QB

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
Packers select Nick Mangold w/t 2nd selection
If he falls to us in 2, I will crap myself. Mangold is a legit 1st round prospect, and will probably be selected in the 1st.

OP
OP
H

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kmac said:
dhpackr said:
If he falls to us in 2, I will crap myself. Mangold is a legit 1st round prospect, and will probably be selected in the 1st.

I agree, high profile centers don't come up in the draft too often, and when they do they really have their stock rise...look at jeff faine a few years back who rose to the mid-teens

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kmac said:
dhpackr said:

If he falls to us at #2 I feel sorry for the people watching the draft with you!

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PyleDriver80; Really like the top two picks. I don't know much about the rest. If Mangold is gone, I'd pick the next best OG. We need help there, IMO.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no way ... i like the picks and some of them make sense.... i just dont think we can take 3 offensive linemen in the draft.... especially when we have june 1st cuts still to come ... id just like to see a more spread out approach. we need depth other places not just o-line.

OP
OP
H

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
retiredgrampa said:
PyleDriver80; Really like the top two picks. I don't know much about the rest. If Mangold is gone, I'd pick the next best OG. We need help there, IMO.

Mangold would be a blessing at #36...but no...I don't see him making it that far down

Here's my #5 based on a combination of likelihood of being there and relevance to the team:
1. Ashton Youboty, CB, Ohio State **(subject to change pending Woodson)
He's rated anywhere from 25-45, raw talent, a lot like Carroll
2. Maurice Stovall, WR, Notre Dame
We rave on and on about Vernon Davis, but I'd rather have a guy who is just as big, pretty speed, and is conditioned at running routes that recievers run--more importantly in the second round
3. Thomas Howard, OLB, UTEP
4. Ko Simpson, FS, South Carolina
5. Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota
This is a reach, I've seen him in some mocks going to Indy and Pittsburgh--this is the only running back i'd draft day one, every draft someone inexplicably slips, maybe lendale white moves ahead of maroney on some team's draft board and he can slip to us--maroney is used to the zone block system and i think he can be an explosive back for the packers

*If no Mangold I say we wait for Eslinger or Setterstrom from Minnesota in the 3rd-4th Round

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
retiredgrampa said:

Mangold would be a blessing at #36...but no...I don't see him making it that far down

Here's my #5 based on a combination of likelihood of being there and relevance to the team:
1. Ashton Youboty, CB, Ohio State **(subject to change pending Woodson)
He's rated anywhere from 25-45, raw talent, a lot like Carroll
2. Maurice Stovall, WR, Notre Dame
We rave on and on about Vernon Davis, but I'd rather have a guy who is just as big, pretty speed, and is conditioned at running routes that recievers run--more importantly in the second round
3. Thomas Howard, OLB, UTEP
4. Ko Simpson, FS, South Carolina
5. Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota
This is a reach, I've seen him in some mocks going to Indy and Pittsburgh--this is the only running back i'd draft day one, every draft someone inexplicably slips, maybe lendale white moves ahead of maroney on some team's draft board and he can slip to us--maroney is used to the zone block system and i think he can be an explosive back for the packers

*If no Mangold I say we wait for Eslinger or Setterstrom from Minnesota in the 3rd-4th Round

Stovall would likely be there in round 3 for us. Ko has a outside chance as well. Those guys are both reaches at #36. Perhaps we could trade down for one of them. I wouldn't bet on Ko though with Maneul, Roman, Collins, and Underwood.

OP
OP
H

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Stovall would likely be there in round 3 for us. Ko has a outside chance as well. Those guys are both reaches at #36. Perhaps we could trade down for one of them. I wouldn't bet on Ko though with Maneul, Roman, Collins, and Underwood.

I agree, I think Stovall is 45-50 pick, maybe we can trade down and get an extra 3rd out of it

Members online

Latest posts