The NFL's view of the Packers is Ridiculous!

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What makes me mad is how the NFL and the GM's view the players value from the Pack. They are consistently downgrading their value saying that they aren't that good and then someone signs them for huge money. We get nothing for Flynn (5th Round Compensatory Pick) and then the Seahawks can basically shop him for 2 picks after renting him for 1 season. We will probably not get anything Compensatory worthy for Jennings, Walden, Crabtree, Merling, or whoever else signs with another team. They'll probably deduct equal value for the DB (Loyce Means) who has never played in the NFL for players we lost. You have players like Vonte Leach who was in GB for years and now is the best FB in the NFL for the Ravens. What did we get for him? For Cullen Jenkins? What gives?

Heck, The San Francisco 49er's got a higher draft pick for trading Alex Smith then GB got for trading Brett Frave. How can anyone justify that? We got a 3rd & 4th Round pick for Mark Brunell, a 3rd or 4th Round Pick for James Lofton. Enough is enough with the way the NFL Ownership and their GM's run roughshod over GB.

They still haven't owned up to the fact that they blew it with the Seattle game last season which costed GB a 1st round bye and a home Divisional Round Game against the 49'ers instead of having to play on the road.

Again Enough is Enough! Someone needs to start speaking up about this crap! They can't fine me for talking!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What makes me mad is how the NFL and the GM's view the players value from the Pack. They are consistently downgrading their value saying that they aren't that good and then someone signs them for huge money. We get nothing for Flynn (5th Round Compensatory Pick) and then the Seahawks can basically shop him for 2 picks after renting him for 1 season. We will probably not get anything Compensatory worthy for Jennings, Walden, Crabtree, Merling, or whoever else signs with another team. They'll probably deduct equal value for the DB (Loyce Means) who has never played in the NFL for players we lost. You have players like Vonte Leach who was in GB for years and now is the best FB in the NFL for the Ravens. What did we get for him? For Cullen Jenkins? What gives?

Heck, The San Francisco 49er's got a higher draft pick for trading Alex Smith then GB got for trading Brett Frave. How can anyone justify that? We got a 3rd & 4th Round pick for Mark Brunell, a 3rd or 4th Round Pick for James Lofton. Enough is enough with the way the NFL Ownership and their GM's run roughshod over GB.

They still haven't owned up to the fact that they blew it with the Seattle game last season which costed GB a 1st round bye and a home Divisional Round Game against the 49'ers instead of having to play on the road.

Again Enough is Enough! Someone needs to start speaking up about this crap! They can't fine me for talking!

The nfl should release the formula for its comp picks.

I assume our couple of vet signs or Flynn not at all playing had something to do with it. Or him not being a big player for us at the time.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We did get 2nd round picks for J-Walk, Corey Williams, and Mike McKenzie. I think we did pretty well there, especially considering two of those were malcontents.

We didn't get a big return for Favre because he was a rental QB at the tail end of his career. The Jets almost made the playoffs that year, and if they had, it would've been a 2nd rounder, which I think would have been a good value for Favre at that point in his career, especially considering everyone knew we weren't keeping him

I agree that the comp pick formula seems pretty screwy, but I don't think there is some league bias against us when it come trade value.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When we were trying to unload Matt Flynn:
Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin, Ryan Tannehil, Brandon Weeden, Brock Osweiler, Russell Wilson, Nick Foles

When Seattle is trying to unload Matt Flynn:
Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, EJ Manuel....

Simple as that.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
We got at 4th for Jenkins. The Texans only got a 3rd for Mario Williams. High comps are hard to get. Chiiiiiiiill.

M

mayo44

What makes me mad is how the NFL and the GM's view the players value from the Pack. They are consistently downgrading their value saying that they aren't that good and then someone signs them for huge money. We get nothing for Flynn (5th Round Compensatory Pick) and then the Seahawks can basically shop him for 2 picks after renting him for 1 season.

He has 2 years on his contract with the Seahawks. Last year he was a free agent.

We will probably not get anything Compensatory worthy for Jennings, Walden, Crabtree, Merling, or whoever else signs with another team.

Yes, we'll get a comp pick for Jennings.

Heck, The San Francisco 49er's got a higher draft pick for trading Alex Smith then GB got for trading Brett Frave. How can anyone justify that?

Are you serious? Smith is 28 years old. Favre was 38 and every GM knew he was a pain in the Packers side. The two situations don't even compare.

We got a 3rd & 4th Round pick for Mark Brunell, a 3rd or 4th Round Pick for James Lofton. Enough is enough with the way the NFL Ownership and their GM's run roughshod over GB.

Done whining?

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain the current compensatory rules state the highest pick a team can receive is a third round. I also believe Saturday making the Pro Bowl counted against us, as he was our FA acquisition.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The system can work to our advantage too.

Based on his contract, especially if he starts in Indy most of the year, we could end up getting a 4th round pick for Walden. And we know he isn't worth that.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
The system can work to our advantage too.

Based on his contract, especially if he starts in Indy most of the year, we could end up getting a 4th round pick for Walden. And we know he isn't worth that.
Likely he never sees the field and we see a 6th, but I'll take it. Ted owns rounds 4-7

M

mayo44

I'm fairly certain the current compensatory rules state the highest pick a team can receive is a third round. I also believe Saturday making the Pro Bowl counted against us, as he was our FA acquisition.

Since the Pro Bowl is decided 33.3% by ignorant fan vote, it should have no material consequences for or against any team.

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since the Pro Bowl is decided 33.3% by ignorant fan vote, it should have no material consequences for or against any team.
I agree it shouldn't. For instance, Saturday had no business being in the Pro Bowl. But I believe that is still weighed in the formula. Lots of things are unfair in life. My father used to tell me "where on your birth certificate does it say your life is going to be fair?"

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
The coaches have just as much say as the fans, as do the players, (that's 66.6% majority) your point is moot. Saturday won the player vote too btw.

M

mayo44

The coaches have just as much say as the fans, as do the players, (that's 66.6% majority) your point is moot. Saturday won the player vote too btw.

Then players are idiots too and you have the Pro Bowl being decided by a 66.6% idiot vote.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We also got a 4th for Daryn Colledge, which no GM in his right mind would have given us.

That kind of highlights why it's not a perfect system, though. You can't get more than a 3rd, so you end up getting a 3rd for superstars and just a notch below, a 4th, for very average players.

H

HardRightEdge

We also got a 4th for Daryn Colledge, which no GM in his right mind would have given us.

That kind of highlights why it's not a perfect system, though. You can't get more than a 3rd, so you end up getting a 3rd for superstars and just a notch below, a 4th, for very average players.

I'm sure the players consider it a fine system compared to one where picks are awarded in kind. You can extract certain concessions when you decertify your union and threaten antitrust action.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
There is/was a person who posted on several boards who has very accurately predicted compensation picks. That tells me there is a formula to award those picks and thinking the NFL "has it out" for the Packers in this regard is baseless. And when one of the Packers' players goes into UFA, every team has an equal shot to sign that player. That's as free a market as exists in the NFL and except for one or two foolish GMs who bid up the price of a player, that's when we see the true market value of those players' services. Beyond that IMO it almost rises to the level of a persecution complex to think the league singles out the Packers for bad treatment. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in the league and they have perhaps the league's "richest" history. That's all good for the league as a whole.

When I see/hear Packers fans complain about the quality of the comp picks the Packers received the first thing that comes to mind is why does the league award comp picks at all? If a team can't afford, or doesn't want to retain a player why should it be rewarded at all? And doesn't such a system help smaller market teams more than the rich ones, since the former are less likely to retain all the vets they'd like to? The most curious aspect of comp picks to me is the inability of teams to trade them: Why "force" teams to be responsible? As far as I'm concerned "brilliant" GMs like Mike Ditka should be able to trade entire drafts for one player, including the comp picks! BTW, IMO the best comp pick is really a fourth rounder since it appears after the third round.

OP
OP
S

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with what your saying ThxJackVainsi, but the thing I question is that higher comp picks are awarded to teams like the Ravens regularly and I don't think that the talent they have is greater then the Packers. I hear that Matt Flynn's arm isn't that good and now he is a Starting QB. I hear that when Greg Jennings was hitting Free Agency the he was only as good because of Mike McCarthy's play calling and the position he put him in. Last I checked you still have to make plays. The point I was making is that Green Bay has a team of talented players and that NFL evaluators should not down play their talent level when speaking of GB's when they hit the open market.

Now Jennings was a 2nd Round pick who is going to a team to become their #1 receiver. Whether he stayed healthy or not most of the time in GB is beyond the point because he's been one of the most explosive receivers in the NFL consistently beating defenders deep, etc. If free agency ended right now and because of a stupid formula they think that GB at this point would deserve anything less then a 3rd round comp pick would be total BS. Just my opinion of course!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts