The NFL Season is over. Let's Fire Mark Lovat already.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Give me one reason why he should still be employed as the Green Bay Packers Strength and Conditioning Coach.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's held in high regards by his peers... He isn't responsible for Aaron's collarbone...

He might be blamed for the reinjury of Matthews thumb

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup..... how is it that a hamstring injury keeps ya out an entire season? That guys needs to take a long walk off a short pier.

If you're referring to Hayward, he tweaked his hamstring in the off-season, playing basketball with his buddies. Not sure how you blame Lovat for that.

Also, hamstrings seem to have the greatest chance of re-injury than almost any other injury due in large part to the muscle developing scar tissue when it heals itself. Scar tissue is significantly weaker than the muscle, making it more likely that problems will persist for the duration of one's career. In short, once a player (Hayward, Matthews) develops a hamstring injury, it's probable the injury is going to plague them throughout their whole careers.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you're referring to Hayward, he tweaked his hamstring in the off-season, playing basketball with his buddies. Not sure how you blame Lovat for that.

Also, hamstrings seem to have the greatest chance of re-injury than almost any other injury due in large part to the muscle developing scar tissue when it heals itself. Scar tissue is significantly weaker than the muscle, making it more likely that problems will persist for the duration of one's career. In short, once a player (Hayward, Matthews) develops a hamstring injury, it's probable the injury is going to plague them throughout their whole careers.

I could be wrong but werent' there a handful of guys on the team with hamstring injuries this year? Regardless something needs to change in this department. We seem to always have the most impact players miss a good amount of time in the league.

OP
OP
7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Half the defense had hamstrings in camp and early in the season. Bush, Burnett, Jones, Clay, Shields.....I know there were more but it was ridiculous how many there were. I know Casey pulled his at home but he still did lovat's program in the off season so it may still be that his body was not properly prepared. Its not like there is a drill that caused these pulls....it was the off season/camp program that did not get the job done preparing their bodies.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Half the defense had hamstrings in camp and early in the season. Bush, Burnett, Jones, Clay, Shields.....I know there were more but it was ridiculous how many there were. I know Casey pulled his at home but he still did lovat's program in the off season so it may still be that his body was not properly prepared. Its not like there is a drill that caused these pulls....it was the off season/camp program that did not get the job done preparing their bodies.

Many players also have their own offseason program such as Matthews doing MMA training. The players have tons of offseason time away from team facilitates. It could their won programs and not Lovats.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score

Better check your source of info, he was injured the night of training camp starting. Read on:
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/102699/packers-place-casey-hayward-on-ir

raj34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could be wrong but werent' there a handful of guys on the team with hamstring injuries this year? Regardless something needs to change in this department. We seem to always have the most impact players miss a good amount of time in the league.

No, I'm pretty sure the best course of action is to do exactly the same thing we've been doing the past several years and hoping for a different result in 2014.

D

Deleted member 6794

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I closely noticed how both Super Bowl teams were nearly all healthy after playing 19 games. During the season I read an article about Chip Kelly and the Eagles. He promoted a new conditioning regimen mainly for the offense, but also the defense(assuming other teams would be running no huddle against the Eagles). He made everybody come in much better aerobic shape to handle the increased pace of his wide-open attack. The Eagles were mostly free of serious injuries. Broken bones like Rodgers and Cobb are impossible to stop, but the endless hamstrings and hurt ankles and knees are largely conditioning related. It's time McCarthy got his head on straight about this and did something about it.

D

Deleted member 6794

I closely noticed how both Super Bowl teams were nearly all healthy after playing 19 games. During the season I read an article about Chip Kelly and the Eagles. He promoted a new conditioning regimen mainly for the offense, but also the defense(assuming other teams would be running no huddle against the Eagles). He made everybody come in much better aerobic shape to handle the increased pace of his wide-open attack. The Eagles were mostly free of serious injuries. Broken bones like Rodgers and Cobb are impossible to stop, but the endless hamstrings and hurt ankles and knees are largely conditioning related. It's time McCarthy got his head on straight about this and did something about it.

I agree with most if your post. Just one quick note, broken bones can actually be prevented to a certain degree. More flexible muscles can absorb a lot of impact and because of it the impact is not as ******* the bone.

D

Deleted member 6794

Strength and conditioning assistant Zac Woodfin leaves Packers to take job at Alabama-Birmingham.

One down, some others still to go.

Beebe82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ever notice how McCarthy always puts an emphasis on having practices end early? I wonder if this has something to do with all of the injuries that seem to happen during practices, scrimmages etc. In the practices / family nights I've been to it seems like the team lollygags through warm ups and then kicks it into high gear for a while, then listens to the corrections, back into high gear, and then finally they are done. I bet the lack of emphasis in warm ups and probably other conditioning tools is one contributing factor to many of these "soft tissue" injuries.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/216947131.html

"So this off-season, McCarthy restructured camp in several ways. He noted "six or seven" specific adjustments to camp.

"Every year it seems like you have a position that is stressed by injuries, it’s part of the training camp process," McCarthy said. "Frankly, I refer to it as a preseason camp, because it is different than the traditional training camp. I have all the confidence that we will do a better job being healthier. There’s certain stress points in the camp, particularly how many days you practice in a row and what you do in those particular days. You may notice the changes, you may not.

"I’m confident it will help us be a healthier team, which gives you a chance to practice and gain the consistency and conformity that you want coming out of training camp."

Some injuries can’t be avoided. Sometimes you have good years and sometimes not so good years, so we’re doing everything we can. Trust me, we’ve looked at everything involved in our program."

It's not like the team isn't trying to prevent the injuries.

Members online

Latest posts