The NFL Players are SLAVES?

Packers80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So a while back Adrian Peterson made a comment that pretty much said that NFL players are slaves. Not only that, but with Drew Brees drawing so much attention to himself lately, its really hard for me to take these players seriously.

It might sound like I'm defending the owners when I'm saying this but if you think about it, its hard to avoid. These NFL players make millions of dollars. Drew Brees and Adrian Peterson are some of the highest payed players in the NFL, and yet they are fighting to keep X amount of dollars. Nothing wrong with that if you're maybe making 5 figures or maybe even $150,000. But we are talking millions. If the owners were to win and get their way, guess what AP, you're still making millions, just not as many millions. So for someone to say they are a slave is in all honesty ridiculous.

In my opinion, I also agree that there should be a rookie pay scale that reduces the amount of money a first round pick makes. Think about it. Not one of these players have stepped foot on a professional football field, and they sign a contract for $78 million or what have you (granted its the first pick). $78 million, going off of Sam Bradford's contract, is bit high to be paying someone who hasn't proven a thing in the professional realm. Think of all the first round draft busts that teams have had along the years. Not to mention, the Packers have had a few as well with Ahmad Carrol and Justin Harrell.

All in all, its a sad thing that it always has to come down to money. And I also know that these two issues aren't the only ones but do factor into the lockout. If I had to side with the owners, these are a few points I'd agree with them on. As for the players, well I don't blame them for wanting more funding geared towards programs to assist retired players.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His slavery comment was ignorant to say the least. Last I checked, slaves weren't paid and didn't have the right to hang it up and do something else.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has anyone really done a side by side comparison?

Slavery Vrs NFL

NFL has minimum salary of about $350k - Slavery NO - advantage NFL
Slavery has guaranteed lifetime contract - NFL NO - advantage slavery
Slavery has room and board included - NFL NO - advantage slavery
NFL can trade you against your will to another team - slavery owner can sell you against your will - push
Slavery, if you are caught messing with the owners daughter your dead - NFL you can text pictures of your **** to other employees - advantage NFL

I'm going to go with NFL here.

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll go with what Justin Tuck recently said. "Millionaires fighting with Billionaires over 9 billion dollars. It's ridiculous."

My feelings exactly.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts