The NFC North

Ausnadian

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the past 5 years, I have felt that the NFC north has always been a middle of the road division. Usually 2 decent teams, and two bad, its not the nfc west, but its not been the east either.
I have a feeling about next year.

The Bears added Carimi and Paea, they just got a lot better, whether or not they can score enough, eh, who knows, but they are scarier with these additions than they were to me prior to yesterday!

The Lions.. well they were much better on offense this year, yet couldn't keep a healthy QB on the field, if they can rectify that issue and then think about the addition of Titus Young, it was a very good move for them, it creates more room on the field for Megatron, and well.. it makes those former picks like a bit more dangerous. Their DL is bolstered, and any addition to the secondary or OL in free agency will make this team balanced in many areas.

The Queens.. well they still have some amazing weapons, AP, Rice, Allen. Hopefully they put up a bit of a fight, Ponder may work or not, college ratings mean nothing if he gives them 8-9 wins next year, so the jury in my head is out until he fails miserably, then I will laugh all the way home. I still wonder if they will try McNabb for a year or throw Ponder to the wolves.. or Pack as it is, to give him an apprenticeship that later on could become invaluable to the transition into the big leagues. Does anyone else give the Vikes this much respect??

I guess what I am alluding to, is that I feel the NFC North could become the toughest division in football. even if the Vikes fail, the other three could easily be 10 win football teams.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Queens.. well they still have some amazing weapons, AP, Rice, Allen. Hopefully they put up a bit of a fight.
Who's Allen again?
Don't forget about Percy Harvin, who has killed us in 2 seasons.

The Lions are the 2nd best team in our division now. The Bears did add a couple nice pieces on the interior lines, but not difference-makers. They had a lot of luck go their way last year.

I give the Lions an A+ for their draft so far, damn. Nick Fairley is this year's version of Ndamakong Suh, an interior DT who can pass rush and crush QBs. Plus they added a RB who many thought would go late round 1, in Mikel LeShoure way down at pick 57.

Titus Young at WR is pretty much Randall Cobb, except he's got the criminal gene instead of good person gene that Cobb has.

But those are 3 potential immediate-impact guys they've gotten already. Dang.

I don't believe in Christian Ponder though. That pick cracks me up. Then the Patriots, with the pick from the Vikings in the 70's, grabbed Ryan Mallett, who I 100% believe is better than Ponder. Ironic. Makes me laugh! :viksux:

OP
OP
A

Ausnadian

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hehe Frank, I wasn't discounting Harvin, hell two seasons ago a former GB QB torched us too, I just wasn't naming everyone :)
You don't think Carimi is a difference maker? I think he gives Cutler more time to throw and Forte an avenue through the middle, that is if he plays guard, not sure what the Bears have in mind for him, I think at heart he is better suited to tackle, but lets be honest, he is skyscraper tall and just a powerful man, and could play at either spot. If the Pack had picked him, I'd be peeing my pants with excitement.

On Mallett, he is one lucky bastard. The Pats were probably the best spot to land for him, their no showboating attitude, and Belichick coaching him is a bonus. I have no doubt Mallett will be better than Ponder now.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
Hehe Frank, I wasn't discounting Harvin, hell two seasons ago a former GB QB torched us too, I just wasn't naming everyone :)
You don't think Carimi is a difference maker? I think he gives Cutler more time to throw and Forte an avenue through the middle, that is if he plays guard, not sure what the Bears have in mind for him, I think at heart he is better suited to tackle, but lets be honest, he is skyscraper tall and just a powerful man, and could play at either spot. If the Pack had picked him, I'd be peeing my pants with excitement.

On Mallett, he is one lucky bastard. The Pats were probably the best spot to land for him, their no showboating attitude, and Belichick coaching him is a bonus. I have no doubt Mallett will be better than Ponder now.

I'm with you, I think Carimi would be a great RT. He's a great run-blocker and his pass pro is good enough. That pick addresses the Bears' biggest weakness.

I still believe the Bears are better than the Lions. Unless the Bears' defense ages very fast this offseason, they're more of a threat than the Lions.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have thought for at least a few season we have been as good as the NFC east or better. I think the NFC North is the best division in the NFC at this point, but the 2nd best is the NFC south. We dont have a team as bad as the Panthers and they dont have a team as good as the Packers. But as a whole the nfc south is better than the nfc east.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Lions are the second best team in the North. Saying that, they still have a very, very weak back seven on defense. The corners, safeties and linebackers are BAD. Also, Stafford has missed more games then he's played.

The Bears improved via the draft (on paper in April), but this team will be on the decline. Urlacher, Briggs and Tillman are all on the wrong side of 30. The secondary is still weak. Ja'Marcus Webb is going to be the starting LT now.

The Viqueens, barring a signing of McNabb, will be in rebuild mold. The team is old.

Reaction score
The Lions are 'the Lions'. They still lack the #1 foundation of anything and that is coaching, oh and a QB. Who cares if he was the #1 pick? I don't care how many people you draft that are suppose to be good. Prove it on the field.

Bears still have Cutler so they suck. He can leave the game whenever he wants too.

The Vikings are the most laughable team in the league right now. They gambled big time and lost. I loved every minute of it. AP may as well get traded to Tampa Bay or Cincy because he won't be seeing the playoffs any time soon with the Vikings. Why they got Pounder and not Lofton is crazy to me. Now the Vikes will continue to lose and Lofton will replace Palmer in purgatory.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
The last thing I would do right now is underestimate the Lions. Sure they have a few weaknesses that they need to address, but that's true of every team. They have receivers, two solid RBs, a good TE, a very powerful DL that will give any team trouble with or without LBs, an a somewhat suspect secondary. They have built a team with a good foundation for success that will be strong for years to come once someone does fill that missing QB position.

Additionally, quite a few people are saying that their secondary and LBs will be what makes them vulnerable. Sure this will be their vulnerability all year, but with the big two up front chasing down QBs, it's going to be difficult to get accurate passes of anyways.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I think it this way, thank the gods we got another guard and tackle. With the interior of the Bears and Lions we have to be able to protect our franchise. None of them have the CBs we do nor do they have the WR we do. So in that regard Packers win the shootout. I'm curious to see if the Packers look to do more running this year or abandon it and do more passing, spread style. Think about it, they pick the best WR at that spot, also very versatile, two TE a RB with good feet also a great catcher. A tackle and guard who are good at pass protecting. I dunno, but it seems to me this is gonna be one difficult offense to stop, even if we can't run.
They did it last year and the threat is there. On defense, when you're second in the NFL you don't need to add to the immediate future and I think they are betting Dom can swirl up a top unit while they get better on offense.
I really think the Packers just made themselves the best unit in the league, so who cares how the ViQueens, Bares and Lions all did, they will all fall to us next year. Look what Atlanta did to try to even things, lmao.
Sorry boys, it's the Packers, then Steelers and Patriots at the top position. I really think the only team with a chance to upend us is the Patriots, but we've got better uniforms so we'll win. 5th SB folks!

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Queens.. well they still have some amazing weapons, AP, Rice, Allen. Hopefully they put up a bit of a fight

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't hope they put up any fight. I hope they absolutely suck, along with the rest of the division. I do not care how tough the division is, I care about OUR final result. Look at the Steelers. Yes, they seem to make a run every year, but they get to play the Browns and Bengals twice a year and I highly doubt their fans are complaining.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather not play the Ravens 2x a year even if I do get Cincy and Cleveland. Plus even both those teams improved through the draft this year. Anyways Defense in the NFC North is now scarily good.

OP
OP
A

Ausnadian

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at the Steelers. Yes, they seem to make a run every year, but they get to play the Browns and Bengals twice a year and I highly doubt their fans are complaining.

Forgive me for not being a fan of blowout wins and boring football. I feel much more satisfied seeing the Pack overcome a great team than beat down crappy teams. Would you not have gained way more satisfaction if Flynn had beaten the Pats, when compared to our thrashing of Dallas last season?

Actually speaking of weak Scheduling, the Pack have it easy this year. Vikes twice, Rams, Raiders, Broncos plus we get to host the Saints and Bucs which for us is a good thing!
No Pats, Colts, Steelers, Ravens, Eagles or Jets.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I agree, although statistically we have the 13th most difficult schedule in the League next year. I am certainly glad its not first or second.

Members online

Latest posts