The New 'Old' Jermichael Finley

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good article hear from Jason Wilde- http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=8441&is_corp=1

'Continuing a trend that began during organized team activity practices, the once-loquacious tight end is no more. He has been replaced -- at least for now, although he will tell you it’s permanent – with a less controversial, less talkative fellow'

'While Finley wouldn’t say how much he weighs right now – he’s listed at 6-foot-5 and 247 pounds, as he was last year, but said he’d gained about 10 pounds – he is clearly heavier than he was before. During the 2011 lockout, Finley unapologetically dropped significant weight believing he was more of a wide receiver than a tight end. Now, he looks as he did in 2009, when he had a breakout season (55 catches, 676 yards, five touchdowns) and capped it with a franchise-record 159 receiving yards in an NFC Wild Card loss at Arizona.'

Hmm.. quieting down, gaining weight.. Thoughts guys?

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
It used to be easy to find Jermichael Finley, primarily by having working ears. But the Packers tight end has taken a different approach to this offseason, becoming intentionally boring after years of talking his way into unwanted attention. According to Jason Wilde of ESPNWiscon, Finley offered up a whole bunch of nothing during an…
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Fingers crossed. If he can consistently blow up the middle, Cover Two defenses will have their hands full.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've had some strong opinions about him because of his work ethic since he came back from injury, but I'd honestly like to see him bloom into the great player that he has all the talent in the world to be. I think he'll have a pretty seller year this year as well as long as he keeps his nose to the grindstone. But I'll reserve judgement till after TT and co decide what to do with him contractually and see how he responds if they ultimately end up retaining him.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be great to see him turn his career into more than just potential and for his mouth to stop running when it shouldn't, but I'll wait the season out and see.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everybody plays for something. Whatever a guy's major motivation is; glory, championships, money, fame, I don't much care. I want every one of our guys playing for what motivates him most.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

During the open locker-room session, a public relations official picked off Finley as soon as he appeared and followed him to his locker and back into the bathroom area to speak to Finley as the 26-year-old brushed his teeth. They reappeared. The interview began. And throughout the seven-minute interview session, the P.R. member leaned in to listen.

peteralan71

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everybody plays for something. Whatever a guy's major motivation is; glory, championships, money, fame, I don't much care. I want every one of our guys playing for what motivates him most.

You read this pretty often, that professional athlete's are always looking for something to fuel them, no matter what it is. I recall Vic Ketchman saying that the athletes hope somebody cuts them off on the drive to the stadium just so they have extra fuel for the internal fire. May have been an exaggeration, but........ You get it.

H

HardRightEdge

What I am concerned about is that we gave him too much money to start with in the last contract. Do we want to pay him more than $8M a year if we sign him to another contract?

However, the last deal had only $1 mil guaranteed in the form of a signing bonus. Gross $ per year are usually negotiated down in exchange for guarantees, which you would expect in Finley's case. That assumes he's even given an offer after season's end and he doesn't break the TE yardage record as his more chatty persona once promised. ;)

H

HardRightEdge

He did break the Packers record for catches by a TE with 61 last year.
Finley's claim, I think before the 2011 season, was that he'd go over 1200 yds. and break the NFL record. If I recall correctly, Gronk beat him to it.

Yes, he did have a good year last season, coming on strong after the bye in particular. The drops were a problem, but widely exaggerated in my opinion. People were b*tching about a drop when the guy was fully laid out for a ball that few TEs could make an honest effort at.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I am concerned about is that we gave him too much money to start with in the last contract. Do we want to pay him more than $8M a year if we sign him to another contract?

Not sure his next contract would need to start that high (unless he has an insane season). Gronk averages about $9m per season but the next highest is Witten at $7.4m. Not real sure that Finley will have a leg to stand on with any team if he's seeking to be the second highest paid TE in the NFL (even if he does have an insane season).

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts