The Ground Game?

• Thread starter I_am_smoked_cheddar
  • Start date

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I personally have not given up on James Starks. I think he has a whole lotta talent that did not come out last season. The little bit of Brandon Saine that I saw looked GREAT and I am sure the Packers are itching to get Alex Green out on the field!

Also, don't forget about old #12. He can run, and run well. No, I don't want him running a bunch for a couple reasons: 1) I don't want the extra added risk of injury and 2) Although he is great on his feet, he is even better through the air.

I notice someone posted a stat of us running it almost 40% of the time (39.6?). To me, that is pretty damn balanced. No, it is not a 50/50 split but it is damn close. It is actually a pretty good ratio of run and pass when you consider our weapons through the air: Rodgers, Jennings, Driver, Nelson, Finley, Jones, and the backs out of the backfield. It would be a disadvantage to us if we didn't use the air attack at least 60% of the time because that is our greatest strength. A 40% running attack gives the surprise / honesty factor that an opposing defense needs to respect while also allowing us to take advantage of our greatest weapons.

Just my two cents.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
However, I should add that I WOULD like to see more run and less pass while we are within 5-7 yards of the endzone. Yes, we got the TDs through the air last season, and probably will get more this season...but more run in that area of the field I think is wise.

OP
OP
I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

The percentage of run to pass I'm not concerned with. The question is what is being gained when we do run it!
How quick are they getting through the gaps? Are they blocking like they need to? Are they holding on to the football?
Are they catching the screen pass? Do they run out of gas or run downhill?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People say run to keep them honest, but if they can't stop the pass what's the point of keeping them honest?

Another point is having an Oline that can block. Teams don't really pass block well and run block well. It's one or the other.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Be careful what you ask for.
It would be hardpressed to think TT could have invested anymore heavily in the Oline than he has in recent years. The #1 goal HAS to be to protect Rodgers. The big bulldozer run blockers are not for the most part nimble pass protectors. The few that can do both well command huge pay checks.
IMO a really top notch RB will only produce modest improvement in the run game without investing in run blockers.
McCarthy knows his personnel and his playbook provides alternatives to a power run game that fits what the players do best.
I blame the D for part of this.
McCarthy knew he had to put it in Rodgers hands and score points last year because the D sucked so horribly. He didn't have the luxury of getting a decent lead and expecting the D to hold it. I saw far to many opponents drives extended on 3rd and fairly long conversions and far to many points when we had teams by the throat.

They put a top 10/12 D back on the field and McCarthy can pull off more long drives that take up the clock. Last year it was all about outscoring the opponent because you knew the other team was going to get theirs. You can't go to your B game which in our case is running the ball when that's the case.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
McCarthy has an innovative offensive mind that rates with the best in the NFL IMO.

Last edited:

thomas28

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only reason I would entertain the thought of bringing in a RB would be to slow down the game against teams like Detroit, Saints, etc. But when we have the firepower to counter these big scoring offenses, why would we go the other way. I go defense before anything else...

toolkien

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't win when you don't run the ball in the post season. Yeah, we live in depressing times these days, when a 9-7 team with the 32nd ranked rushing game wins the Super Bowl, but the Giants did bring it in the playoffs, running over 90 yards in each game.

I don't think I have ever seen a team win a playoff game by throwing it 50 times or more, and then rushing less than 100 yards. No way. Ground game may have disappeared from the video game style of throwing it 50 times a game, but it still matters in the playoffs. Just look at the 49ers; the run game basically carried them 90% of the time without having to constantly air it out 24/7.

Just look at Drew Brees against the Niners if you don't believe the run game matters anymore. Brees threw it 60 times for 400 yards, great stats, but the run game? Is 37 yards on the ground something to be proud of when you are so one dimensional? It's no different from 15 years ago. Dan Marino couldn't win either in the playoffs when he was throwing it 40-50 times and had barely any rushing yards.

http://pfref.com/tiny/8nsdL

toolkien

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who wouldn't want to see every position be as good as it can be? But everything comes at a cost. You want more potency here or there, that means less potency somewhere else. Every team gets the same colleges, free agents, and a $120,000,000 to spend. Every team has a philosophy. If anyone has ever played roulette you've got a whole board to lay your chips out on. You can go heavier on red or heavier on black, or odd or even. The rest is luck (assuming it's not rigged). If you lay evenly on each red/black/odd/even you might as well go watch the grass grow. The Packers have decided to skew offense, and within that philosophy they've skewed pass. Any place you see as thin, they saw as thin 6 months to a year before you did and it was planned that way. They just play the luck game that they won't get hit where they are thin while where they were intentionally thick they can get a compounded return.

The Packers have had the best team in the league the last three years combined. Their philosophy has worked, and they've been undone only by turning the ball over in the 2009 and 2011 playoffs. If that's not good enough, then maybe some would prefer a team loaded at running back and defense that survives by controlling the clock and limiting the other team to 12 pts per game. Of course when that D decides to give up 28 or 31 pts in a playoff game, then the complaints will be why the Packers can't have a 49ers of the 80's offense. And anyone who thinks that any team should be able to crack off a potent AND balanced team hasn't been paying attention the last several years. It's been rare the last 10-12 years, and getting rarer. Potent and skewed is the order of the day for league leading regular season teams.

You establish a philosophy and you lay out your chips and you let the wheel spin. If you fail to follow your plan in the playoffs, regardless of how you construct it, don't expect to win it all. In the last 12 years, 9 Super Bowls have been won by teams who won the playoff turnover margin. The other 3 were won by the team #2 in turnover margin. And those championships were won by teams skewed to their offense, or skewed to their defense, and a few by balanced and mediocre teams. But they followed their plan and they didn't turn the ball over. But those who lost simply can't retool their philosophy every year because it failed, especially if that philosophy works and comes undone by uncharacteristic turnovers.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, what if we executed the draw play more often? I think that would really catch the defense leaning pass, and they we can shove a run down their throat.

Think about it: 1st down) Run

2nd down) Pass

3rd down) Pass, gained first down

1st down) Pass

2nd down) Draw. (If anyone doesn't know what a draw play is (and I am not trying to be a jerk) it is like a "backwards play-action." where you fake the pass and hand it off to your back)

It could work real well.

OP
OP
I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

I've not heard anyone comment about how the RB's looked in mini-camp. Was there anything in press? Could it be because there was nothing exciting to report? They were there practicing too, right? Well how did they look? Who was not there and why?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I've not heard anyone comment about how the RB's looked in mini-camp. Was there anything in press? Could it be because there was nothing exciting to report? They were there practicing too, right? Well how did they look? Who was not there and why?
RB's need pads to show their stuff. I think Green was absent to continue recoup.
Where's my chew toy?
You buried it out back in the left corner of the yard

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
I enjoy running the ball in people in Madden. Don't get me wrong I am a pass first guy but annoying someone by running the clock all the way down in Madden is a personal joy of mine.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come August I would hope that Green and Saine get a ton of reps.

Reaction score
meh, I like the ground game we've got... a handful of 4 yards per carry type backs that can pass block, a bunch of mid to late rounders that do a decent job when we have to lean on them....

I think it's better to have a 3 headed combo that doesn't cost too much salary cap space, than 1 really big mean monster back that threatens to hold out every other year unless he's paid "TOP Back Money!"

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think on this. Why are we so stacked with receivers? Why are receivers and likewise QBs the focal point (stars) of the game? It shows you the direction the league is heading to. I'm not saying the running game is obsolete by any means, just underutilized.

OP
OP
I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

I watched an NFL network program this mouring about the "67" Packers season. The ice bowl and SB2, it was super. They did it all. The could run, pass, stop the run, stop the pass, kick return, punt, etc. They could do it all. So what is so terrible about about a team that can do it all? NOTHING!!!
Teams that establish dynasties have few weaknesses. Is that not what we all want to see, domination in all phases of the game. There are cries about money and players that can't run block or greater needs eleseware. Would Vince allow any part of his teams to ever be just "good enough"? We all know the answer to that question!!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I watched an NFL network program this mouring about the "67" Packers season. The ice bowl and SB2, it was super. They did it all. The could run, pass, stop the run, stop the pass, kick return, punt, etc. They could do it all. So what is so terrible about about a team that can do it all? NOTHING!!!
Teams that establish dynasties have few weaknesses. Is that not what we all want to see, domination in all phases of the game. There are cries about money and players that can't run block or greater needs eleseware. Would Vince allow any part of his teams to ever be just "good enough"? We all know the answer to that question!!
This just in to the newsroom: NEWSFLASH: The NFL is about to embark on the 2012 season: A lot has changed since 1967!

Seriously, IMO Vince Lombardi would have been smart enough to take full advantage of the numerous rule changes that have taken place since the late sixties. Whether any of us like it or not, the passing game is preeminent in today’s NFL.

Arguing that some Packers fans don’t want the team to be dominant in all phases of the game is just silly. But that is an unreasonable expectation. In this salary cap era, teams must prioritize their needs and the running game is not as important as the passing game or fixing the teams problems on defense.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This just in to the newsroom: NEWSFLASH: The NFL is about to embark on the 2012 season: A lot has changed since 1967!

Seriously, IMO Vince Lombardi would have been smart enough to take full advantage of the numerous rule changes that have taken place since the late sixties. Whether any of us like it or not, the passing game is preeminent in today’s NFL.

Arguing that some Packers fans don’t want the team to be dominant in all phases of the game is just silly. But that is an unreasonable expectation. In this salary cap era, teams must prioritize their needs and the running game is not as important as the passing game or fixing the teams problems on defense.

I'm glad someone gets it. Some of these posters think you can run a team like you do your fantasy team.

OP
OP
I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

The passing game is one of the best in the league and is comfortably deep.
Six out of eight draft picks were on defence, so that is being addressed.
Even Mr. Jolly may be allowed to try to return.
I know how a running game can suddenly become important to a team regardless of how good the passing game is.
What if one of the rookie QB's has to step in and can't hit a bulls backside with a bass fiddle?
What if during a critical game a running game is needed to eat clock and keep the other teams offence off the Field?
What if the other teams corners, linebackers, and safeties are shuting us down?
Over 50 years I've seen what results from too much cocky confidance. I only hope that when they take these horses out of the barn that they are throughbreds and not Toney the poney!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The passing game is one of the best in the league and is comfortably deep.
Six out of eight draft picks were on defence, so that is being addressed.
Even Mr. Jolly may be allowed to try to return.
I know how a running game can suddenly become important to a team regardless of how good the passing game is.
What if one of the rookie QB's has to step in and can't hit a bulls backside with a bass fiddle?
What if during a critical game a running game is needed to eat clock and keep the other teams offence off the Field?
What if the other teams corners, linebackers, and safeties are shuting us down?
Over 50 years I've seen what results from too much cocky confidance. I only hope that when they take these horses out of the barn that they are throughbreds and not Toney the poney!

If we lose Arod we are screwed, even Adrian Peterson wouldn't change that

OP
OP
I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Players like Peterson rarely fully recover 100% from an ACL injury! They shoot horses don't they? He may never be what he was before. "Good Enough" is never good enough! The running game is no less important than any other part of the team! That is my point of view and it will not change. :mad:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The running game is no less important than any other part of the team! That is my point of view and it will not change.
Whatever you do don't let changing circumstances change your opinion! ;) Ralph Waldo Emerson had something to say about foolish consistencies but I'll leave it to you to look that up if you're at all curious.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion but the one on display above is just demonstrably wrong and it has been for some time in the NFL. If you'd like to considers stats (facts) which have occurred since 1967 in the NFL here's a good starting point:
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_1782_The_Great_%28Troll%29_War.html

Of course other sites have addressed this issue too. The bottom line is 1) success passing the ball is the most important factor for an NFL offense and 2) the number of rushing attempts is more important than yards per rushing attempt.

OP
OP
I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

You sunk my Battleship(NOT)!!! We'll see who's theory holds water this season. Now just be sure not to get too excited IF the running attack is solid this year. Don't cheer for long rushing gains, we want you to be arround and not be having panic attacks. Close your eyes when a screen pass is caught by a running back. Ignore any great blocks by running backs that allow our QB to throw for long gains and TD's. And above all, don,t give any credit to the running backs if they turn out to save us at any critical point in any game. After all, we want you to be happy as well as healthy. Anyway you know that a great passing attack is "good enough" to win with.

Members online

Latest posts