The Greatest Game Ever Played

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

OK so we all have our own opinions/thoughts on what TGGEP is.
Why should the media dictate which one it is since so many awesome ones have been played since that Giants/Colts game which includes the 4th and 8 or Confused Fumble for a TD victory over the Bears on 12/29/13.
Maybe I should have added in a few more words in the title like, "Of the Season" or "To me."
In any case, this to me is TGGEP. To get back at the Bears in this way is just so, so awesome with a great comeback by Rodgers and Cobb.
Folks and fans can disagree with me all they want to but they just need to realize that it is just my opinion and nothing more.

That was why I said I`d have to disagree, nothing more mate ;). For me actually to say the "greatest" game I ever "saw", it was when we beat the crap out of the Cowboys at Lambeau in 2003/2004. I swear I thought I`d died, and gone to heaven that day......:D

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was why I said I`d have to disagree, nothing more mate ;). For me actually to say the "greatest" game I ever "saw", it was when we beat the crap out of the Cowboys at Lambeau in 2003/2004. I swear I thought I`d died, and gone to heaven that day......:D
I wasn't responding to you personally.
Mainly thinking of those who gave me a "Disagree" in the OP.
I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.
We cool mate. :cool:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I appreciate the enthusiasm of the OP but for me, that game isn’t in the discussion of greatest game ever played. The Ice Bowl is the game for me; and particularly The Drive to win it. Not only because of the conditions but because it was the capstone of the Lombardi era. It epitomized the toughness, will to win, and precision that Lombardi had instilled in his teams. In perhaps the worst conditions ever played (minus 13, minus 48 wind chill at kick off), there was not one fumble or incomplete pass on that last critical 68-yard drive – Starr was 5 for 5 and there was only one negative yardage play. BTW, I’m not one of the 500,000 who now claim to have been there, I watched it on TV.:D

A lot of the other games played by Lombardi’s Packers rank ahead of last Sunday’s game too. More recently, the 1997 NFC championship game at Lambeau and Super Bowl XXXI were better played and “greater” IMO. Even more recently, how about the NFC Championship game played at Soldier Field? The Packers snatched away the Bears chance to get to the Super Bowl in their house, in front of their fans. And of course Super Bowl XLV, with all the great plays, including what I consider Aaron Rodgers’ most clutch pass ranks higher for me.

However, Sunday’s game was extremely entertaining and the dramatic ending was exhilarating. And the schadenfreude gained by beating (who I still consider) our biggest rival in their house is again satisfying.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So who do you consider to be the greatest Packers coach ever, McCarthy?

I'm not trying to dog you or anything, I just don't understand the logic of disregarding everything prior to yourself in a discussion involving history.
Perhaps the better phrase to have used is 'Greatest game during my life'. If you give the title 'of all time' - you need to be considering the ice bowl and all games for that matter from a unbiased perspective.

Reaction score
I've always liked the Packers / Bears rivalry! Never a dull moment. I like to go on the Bears forum website and listen to all of the whining after the game. This morning there are more than usual "low life's" chiming in, saying things like "they hope Rodgers has a career ending spinal injury coming on a cheap shot", and one classy Bears fan said that "they hope anyone that wears green and yellow would be infected with the HIV virus"!! I know every team has their share of bottom feeders, but that is ridiculous.
Chicago deserves whatever Milwaukee floats down their way in lake Michigan!

Yes it is ridiculous, in addition to being demented and twisted! Thank God, those vile rantings from degenerates coming off the heels of yet another heartbreaking loss to their rival do not represent the sentiment of the vast majority of the Bears fanbase, or at least, that is what I am assuming to be true. :cautious:As you mentioned, Trapped In Vikingville, every team has their fair share of idiots! I had to again read your post and noticed you typed "This morning".....and not last night, as to when those comments were made on their website which disproves my theory that they may have been "alcohol" driven, unless the morons were still under the influence. I would be if I was a Bears fan, I guess.

I have always and will continue to always strongly "dislike" the Chicago Bears. It's in my DNA as a lifelong Packers fan! Despite my feelings, I do respect the Bears franchise, their history and tradition and our historic intense rivalry which naturally incites both fanbases, but at the end of the day, win, lose or draw, it will always be just a game. You show some class, accept the loss like a mature responisble human being, move on and prepare for the next season. There is no reason whatsoever to resort to having to make those devilish comments. I will never understand the mindset of "rabid extremist fan!" :confused:

Reaction score
I appreciate the enthusiasm of the OP but for me, that game isn’t in the discussion of greatest game ever played. The Ice Bowl is the game for me; and particularly The Drive to win it. Not only because of the conditions but because it was the capstone of the Lombardi era. It epitomized the toughness, will to win, and precision that Lombardi had instilled in his teams. In perhaps the worst conditions ever played (minus 13, minus 48 wind chill at kick off), there was not one fumble or incomplete pass on that last critical 68-yard drive – Starr was 5 for 5 and there was only one negative yardage play. BTW, I’m not one of the 500,000 who now claim to have been there, I watched it on TV.:D

Couldn't have described "The Ice Bowl" game any better, ThxJackVainisi! I can't even begin to imagine how difficult it must have been for the players to try and compete under those horrific conditions. And no, I wasn't at the game, either, nor did I attend "Woodstock," but I, too, watched "The Ice Bowl" game on the tube. I'll never forget it!

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This game wouldn't count as one of the greatest games ever played.
It counts to me as one of the greatest games I ever attended at Lambeau.
It was more of a track meet but the Packers beat the Redskins 48-47 in 1983.
That was certainly exciting.
It was my 1st wife's 1st game at Lambeau.

Reaction score
The "ice bowl" is the game for me, but the older I get the more important the past is to me.

I totally agree! If there WAS such a device as a "time machine," I would gladly volunteer to be propelled back in the '50's and '60', to never return.....and I'm sure there would be some people standing in line to volunteer to "push the button" or "pull the switch" on that device, too;)

The little things and details you remember about those football games back then! Wow! Watching the games in black and white. TV's equipped with "rabbit ears," or rotar box/outside antenna > NO ridiculous excessive fees to watch television (e.g., price "gouging" by companies):tup:

Only 13 teams in the NFL in 1960; 16 teams in 1967 when the "Ice Bowl" was played and back then when someone mentioned a certain player's name, you would easily be able to associate his name with the same team he signed with until he retired, "usually." Goal posts were positioned on the goal line. There was no two point conversion, although
having it now has made for some interesting finishes. Who can forget the high top cleats Johnny Unitas wore? I had a ton of baseball and football cards from those two decades and like what you hear from about everybody who collected them....my Mom gave them away to the little neighbor kid down the street because they were just sitting in boxes taking up space in the garage:mad: But, ahhhh.....those were the days!

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree! If there WAS such a device as a "time machine," I would gladly volunteer to be propelled back in the '50's and '60', to never return.....and I'm sure there would be some people standing in line to volunteer to "push the button" or "pull the switch" on that device, too;)

The little things and details you remember about those football games back then! Wow! Watching the games in black and white. TV's equipped with "rabbit ears," or rotar box/outside antenna > NO ridiculous excessive fees to watch television (e.g., price "gouging" by companies):tup:

Only 13 teams in the NFL in 1960; 16 teams in 1967 when the "Ice Bowl" was played and back then when someone mentioned a certain player's name, you would easily be able to associate his name with the same team he signed with until he retired, "usually." Goal posts were positioned on the goal line. There was no two point conversion, although
having it now has made for some interesting finishes. Who can forget the high top cleats Johnny Unitas wore? I had a ton of baseball and football cards from those two decades and like what you hear from about everybody who collected them....my Mom gave them away to the little neighbor kid down the street because they were just sitting in boxes taking up space in the garage:mad: But, ahhhh.....those were the days!
Ahhhh.
The memories.
Thanks for reaffirming them.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Its also interesting that as fierce as the rivalry is, you never see any Bears fan coming on the forum stirring things up. Even when they beat us, and put our star QB out of action for eight weeks, or when they won the Superbowl, twice in my lifetime. Classy :).
Take note niner fans.