The difference was A.J. Hawk

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think one of the big differences on defense was having AJ Hawk out there every play. In previous games, he wouldnt play in the nickel and dime packages. this game...he did.

9 tackles
1 sack
3 assists

the kid is nicccccccccce!

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to correct you tro, but AJ has been playing on the nickle packages all year. The dime no...They had all 3 linebackers out there on the final Phins attempt. Wow how Nick Saban has fallen.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk has been one of the better draft choices for the NFL him and Jennings are great. But Hawk looks like he has been out there for 5 or 6 years and not a rookie

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just going by what i heard on tv, since they talk to coaches\players more than we do.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yea, he had a good game, 6 of those tackles where in the first half.

and 6 in the second half. Consistancy! :) Not to mention a big play on the sack on third down to hold them to a FG.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was decent at best. I watched him most of the time the Pack was on defense and he still didn't get to the quarterback and was simply blown up on four separate occasions that I can remember. He had a Barnett type game tonight: i.e. a bunch of tackles 4-5 yards downfield and a coverage sack.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just going by what i heard on tv, since they talk to coaches\players more than we do.

Was it todays announcers you heard it from? Because they were awful. They were actually getting the players wrong all day.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was decent at best. I watched him most of the time the Pack was on defense and he still didn't get to the quarterback and was simply blown up on four separate occasions that I can remember. He had a Barnett type game tonight: i.e. a bunch of tackles 4-5 yards downfield and a coverage sack.

Lol decent at best. 12 tackles and a sack is "decent" at best. Got blown up? Yeah I saw on one or two plays, but you will find that with every single LBer in the NFL from time to time. Over 70 plays on offense you think it's going to be perfect every time?

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
honestly, i think it was woodson that was the differnce maker.

I can agree with that because Woodson definately earned his paycheck today. Wow he is our best DB easy.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Hawk played great and Woodsen stepped up, now we need to get Harris to step up and the defense would look a lot better.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
12 tackles 5 yards downfield is decent. Was AJ ever in the backfield today? The answer is no. That sack was nothing special either.

Actually he was in the backfield two or three times when they didnt run to his side and he nearly made the play on all occasions. Lol "that sack was nothing special either" wow you are hard to please. Yes it was a coverage sack, but who forced Harrington to run out of the pocket in the first place?

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think one of the big differences on defense was having AJ Hawk out there every play. In previous games, he wouldnt play in the nickel and dime packages. this game...he did.

9 tackles
1 sack
3 assists

the kid is nicccccccccce!

Very Huge in this game trom, thanks for his stats !!!

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
12 tackles 5 yards downfield is decent. Was AJ ever in the backfield today? The answer is no. That sack was nothing special either.

Actually he was in the backfield two or three times when they didnt run to his side and he nearly made the play on all occasions. Lol "that sack was nothing special either" wow you are hard to please. Yes it was a coverage sack, but who forced Harrington to run out of the pocket in the first place?

1. This ain't horsehoes, I don't care how many times ne "nearly made a play."

2. It wasn't AJ who forced Joey out of the pocket. It was pressure from the left side of the line. AJ came from the right and that's where Joey ran because AJ didn't get home.

Reaction score
TO, wouldn't it be a good thing to say that AJ "nearly made a play" because since he is so young, it shows he has the ability to be in on almost every play, then perhaps he could translate those "nearly making a play" into big plays?

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
TOPackerFan said:

2. It wasn't AJ who forced Joey out of the pocket. It was pressure from the left side of the line. AJ came from the right and that's where Joey ran because AJ didn't get home.

Lol AJ came in against the RB and went around him. Harrington slipped under and ran to the right stepping forward first. AJ then with constant pressure(if you think that's a coverage sack then you dont know about throwing the ball across body with a 245 lber bearing down on you) chased him down.

I mention that because getting around the ball often is very important for a rook LBer. You know what? This is silly. Twelve tackles and a sack..nuff said. The Packers won and I'm happy about it.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
TO, wouldn't it be a good thing to say that AJ "nearly made a play" because since he is so young, it shows he has the ability to be in on almost every play, then perhaps he could translate those "nearly making a play" into big plays?

Only if he's playing horsehoes or tossing handgrenades.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
Cory said:
TOPackerFan said:

Lol AJ came in against the RB and went around him. Harrington slipped under and ran to the right stepping forward first. AJ then with constant pressure(if you think that's a coverage sack then you dont know about throwing the ball across body with a 245 lber bearing down on you) chased him down.

I mention that because getting around the ball often is very important for a rook LBer. You know what? This is silly. Twelve tackles and a sack..nuff said. The Packers won and I'm happy about it.

You're right. Like Vince said, stats are for losers.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah, this ain't horseshoes, and that's why his 9 tackles, 3 assists, and 1 sack are significant. He wasn't just close on those plays, he MADE them. It was not a perfect game for Hawk, but he played well.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Yeah, this ain't horseshoes, and that's why his 9 tackles, 3 assists, and 1 sack are significant. He wasn't just close on those plays, he MADE them. It was not a perfect game for Hawk, but he played well.

Right, but that was a response to a post crediting him for "nearly making a play." AJ was solid today. He wasn't special.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be handing out too many game balls to anyone on defense personally; the 'Phins scored 24, and on several of those drives, they looked like they could have (or should have) scored a lot more. They had a lot of dropped passes (thank goodness).

Hawk made his presence known and did his job, as did Woodson and most of the other defenders. Nothing spectacular, but enough to win, and a good building game. jmho. The real story might be how some of the Packers receivers stepped it up to make some crucial catches. Way to go Pack!

Members online

Latest posts