The Chicago fans are worried

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
I think the Packers right now are a better team than the Bears. I'd say if we played them next week, we'd beat them again.

I totally think you are wrong because if you look at the facts that the Packers are 2-14 vs winning teams over the past 2 seasons. The 2 wins both came on the final week of the season vs NFC teams who had wrapped up HFA throughout the playoffs and had absolutely nothing to play for.

The Bears couldn't have cared less about yesterdays game.

Wow, are you kidding? Log onto some Bears boards or just check in with the Chicago media - those guys are in crisis after being our punching bag last night. It's not like we beat up on their backups - we drilled their first teamers. Any team is looking for some momentum going into the playoffs. Nobody wants to get throttled. By suggesting the Bears just wandered around with no care of winning - or even showing up - against their arch rival (at home!) tells me you haven't been watching football, or competitive sports, for very long at all. No offense. ;)

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cliff said:
packedhouse01 said:
I think the Packers right now are a better team than the Bears. I'd say if we played them next week, we'd beat them again.

I totally think you are wrong because if you look at the facts that the Packers are 2-14 vs winning teams over the past 2 seasons. The 2 wins both came on the final week of the season vs NFC teams who had wrapped up HFA throughout the playoffs and had absolutely nothing to play for.

The Bears couldn't have cared less about yesterdays game.

Wow, are you kidding? Log onto some Bears boards or just check in with the Chicago media - those guys are in crisis after being our punching bag last night. It's not like we beat up on their backups - we drilled their first teamers. Any team is looking for some momentum going into the playoffs. Nobody wants to get throttled. By suggesting the Bears just wandered around with no care of winning - or even showing up - against their arch rival (at home!) tells me you haven't been watching football, or competitive sports, for very long at all. No offense. ;)

Ok, let's not get delusional here. Your team returned two INTs for Tds. That's how the game went, and your team deserves the credit, but your offense only managed 12 points. The Bears 2nd teamers were in at half time.
Yes, the pack won the game and played well, but saying they are the better team with an 8-8 record because they scored some lucky points and played 2nd teamers for half the game is hardly convincing. Again, good win for the pack. You have reasons to be optimistic, but dont get carried away.
The pack played like it was Favres last game ever, the Bears played like they could care less. Like a team with HFA wrapped up. I know they "said" all the right things leading up to the game, but they played like it didnt matter.
So again, be happy about the win. It was a good win. But it was hardly a changing of the guard in the NFCN. The Bears are a young team who STILL have alot of talent and a good record. Dont be surprised to see them in Miami. I dont think they can handle SD, however, unless Rivers plays like rex. :rotflmao:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
the bears played like they could care less??

I guess thats what you do when you run a fake punt

as far as the 2 tds from ints? Isnt that how you guys beat Arizona? Your offense did NOTHING in that game..all scores came from s/t or D..

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score

as far as the 2 tds from ints? Isnt that how you guys beat Arizona? Your offense did NOTHING in that game..all scores came from s/t or D..

No. Actually there were no INTs for TDs. Two FORCED fumbles by our defense were taken. But as to your point, yes, ONE of our THIRTEEN victories came from such an effort.

As for the fake punt, well yeah, you could look at it that way, or you could look at it like the team had nothing to lose. Just keeping the game interesting.

I doubt any team could have beat GB sunday nite, honestly. They played with fire, knowing Favre was probably gone after the game. I give them all the credit. But you cant summon that kind of emotion all the time.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The Bears defense allowed at least 327 yards in the previous five games -- thanks to injuries, general sloppiness and defensive tackle Tank Johnson's suspension after his arrest on weapons charges and then shooting death of his friend at a nightclub less than 48 hours later.

Tasnk Johnson did not start but entered the game on the opening possession.

By your own admission, the 2nd team didnt come in till the 3rd q//what was score at half time?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:

No. Actually there were no INTs for TDs. Two FORCED fumbles by our defense were taken. But as to your point, yes, ONE of our THIRTEEN victories came from such an effort.

As for the fake punt, well yeah, you could look at it that way, or you could look at it like the team had nothing to lose. Just keeping the game interesting.

I doubt any team could have beat GB sunday nite, honestly. They played with fire, knowing Favre was probably gone after the game. I give them all the credit. But you cant summon that kind of emotion all the time.

I didnt say the bears had ints for tds..I said the D and s/p won that game..

Point is the last few weeks, the bears D has been about average and that is what really kept you guys going all season..

If that D doesnt really play like they did in the 1st 10 games its going to be hard for the team to win..

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BearPerspective said:
longtimefan said:

Point is the last few weeks, the bears D has been about average and that is what really kept you guys going all season..

If that D doesnt really play like they did in the 1st 10 games its going to be hard for the team to win..

I agree, but there are some things to take into consideration.
First is that the Bears were not often in their base Cover 2 the other night. Even madden alluded to how the Bears were in Nickel D as respect to the Packers "O" but in reality, the Bears have been running that the last couple of weeks for some reason. I assume its because they are trying not to give up tape on their base D, plus they have 2 starters out who will be back for the playoffs. Both were healthy enough to play vs. the pack, and the last couple weeks, but they sat anyway.
Also, since Tank was out a couple weeks, the running game hurt the Bears. Well, he was back Sunday, and the running D was quite a bit better.
What Im getting at is there will be a whole other gameplan when it matters. That's not an excuse, just a reality.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, let's not get delusional here. Your team returned two INTs for Tds. That's how the game went, and your team deserves the credit, but your offense only managed 12 points. The Bears 2nd teamers were in at half time.
Yes, the pack won the game and played well, but saying they are the better team with an 8-8 record because they scored some lucky points and played 2nd teamers for half the game is hardly convincing. Again, good win for the pack. You have reasons to be optimistic, but dont get carried away.
The pack played like it was Favres last game ever, the Bears played like they could care less. Like a team with HFA wrapped up. I know they "said" all the right things leading up to the game, but they played like it didnt matter.
So again, be happy about the win. It was a good win. But it was hardly a changing of the guard in the NFCN. The Bears are a young team who STILL have alot of talent and a good record. Dont be surprised to see them in Miami. I dont think they can handle SD, however, unless Rivers plays like rex. :rotflmao:

You and other Bears fans talked a lot of noise leading up to the game. That's great, that's what makes it fun :thumbsup: But time to take your lumps, bud. Your Bears got spanked. Your starters got spanked. I'm not speaking of a changing of the guard in the NFC; you're in the playoffs after a decent season, we're not, and best of luck to you. But something you'll hear in any sport is that "you're only as good as your last game," and while that doesn't always tell the whole story, there is a lot of truth in there. In a way, that makes the Pack pretty fortunate going into this offseason.. because you're right, the Packers were not - and are not (yet) able to summon that kind of fire every week.

You did say something before the game, however, that rings of truth:

Trust me, the Bears have something to play for. It's called pride. Our players know the history and they know the implications of this game. Its on NATIONAL TV and the Bears are making a superbowl push. Expect an all out effort and quit hoping for a default victory by playing our 2nd teamers. Its not going to happen. I will be pounding beers like Mark Anderson will be pounding that sad old QB you have.

You were right (except for the pounding on Favre part). And nobody should have expected different. I now hope, for the sake of "NFC North Pride" (if you will), that the Bears right their ship and get themselves ready, because every team in the playoffs will be throwing the kitchen sink at each other. Playoffs are a new kind of football. And will probably look pretty similar to the brand of ball the Pack played Sunday night. ;) jmho.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice post scotty...

I dont ever buy the nothing to play for excuse..

that 1st drive of the packers was with the bears 1st string for sure and they just drove it down their throats..

BearsPer...some of your fellow bear fans and including your self said the 2nd string would beat the pack..

1st half was all the starters, and the score was 23-0..

Like I said before..

If the bears defense does not tighten up, they will be one and done..

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks longtime.

I'm in a concilliatory mood though - :) so I would like to pose the question: How many of us Packers fans will root for the Bears.. even quietly or unenthusiastically - in the playoffs?

It's an interesting question, especially if you subscribe to the idea of rooting for your division, supporting the idea that a strong performance by the Bears reflects well on the Packers.

But of course, that means actually having to root for Chicago, an arch-rival, which I suspect might be ouside of the realm of possibility for many Packers fans.

For my money, I really like the Saints. I hate that they beat us, but beyond that, how can I root against New Orleans. But if they somehow get bounced, I will probably throw my support behind the Bears.. at this point I consider them an underdog, and I root for underdogs. ;) I didn't grow up in wisconsin or in the middle of all of the blood-rivalry, so the hard feelings don't run quite as deep for me. However, I'll have no problem going back to hating them again next year.

Strangely, though, I really do hate the Queens. I don't think I've ever wanted them to win a football game, in spite of any of that "division support" crap.. LOL

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I went toe to toe with Bearsperspective on this and caught a lot of grief over it.

My point was the Bears would not win against a team that can produce a rush. Their defense is not nearly as strong without Brown and Harris which is a shame that they are out. Without Harris' push from the middle and Brown roaming back there the pass defense suffers. The defense is what has been able to bail out the Bears in the past when Grossman sucks.

The reason Grossman sucks is directly related to their "0" line. When they can't handle the defense Rex is awful and when they do control the line he plays well.

It's not a matter of how Rex goes so do the Bears as much as it is how the "0" line goes so goes the Bears. Early in the year the "0" line performed at a level probably to a degree that was beyond what their talent called for. The numbers were gaudy as a result.

If they don't get that back they are toast.

I'm not going to put it entirely on the line because Grossman doesn't have the natural insint to step up or move to an open spot when he should. This puts MORE pressure on the line to keep the pressure off of him.

Unless he figures out how to do this he will not be the QB for the Bears very long. Favre get's pressured. He just knows how to move around in there and buy time to get a good throw off.

Now it's playoff time where teams go for the throat and it's obvious that teams know they can pass on the Bears and shutdown their offense by getting pressure on Grossman.

EVERY team has a weakness but the problem is that these are not just moderate problems but glaring and hidden by the fact they were still winning which was a result of the "0" line giving Rex enough time to be effective. They can do that against the 49'rs, Lions and Tampa's.

They were able to outscore their opponents but that is not Bears football.

I'm pulling for the Bears because they are our Division Champs and I would like to see them do well now that we are done. If the "0" line steps up and protects they will be o.k. but their offense has to score some points because their defense is too beat up to think they will shut playoff teams out.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very good posts, guys. I enjoy reading outside opinions, and these are well thought and expressed.

I believe that the bears are in trouble. THere is no switch to flip. They peaked at the wrong time.

The thing about the bears not caring about the game - that is 95% not true. I am sure that they wanted to win. I do believe that they did not do absolutely everything that they could have to win. However, the whipping that occurred on the field would have happened reguardless.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bears really had nothing to play for anyhow. They already won the division and home field advantage throughout the playoffs, which will only be one game. They are a farce.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bears really had nothing to play for anyhow. They already won the division and home field advantage throughout the playoffs, which will only be one game. They are a farce.

Farce is the fact that GB almost made the playoffs.

Blackjackking

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You are crazy! The Packers won a meaningless game and the Bears are going to the Playoffs! If the game counted the Bears would beat the Packers in a dominating fashion!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:

You are crazy! The Packers won a meaningless game and the Bears are going to the Playoffs! If the game counted the Bears would beat the Packers in a dominating fashion!
EXCUSESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Joebediah

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:

I seem to recall a game two years ago in the last week of the season where a certain Packer team had nothing to play for except for momentum for the playoffs. I believe they won that game quite handily.

Blackjackking

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blackjackking said:
packedhouse01 said:

I seem to recall a game two years ago in the last week of the season where a certain Packer team had nothing to play for except for momentum for the playoffs. I believe they won that game quite handily.

Yes and I also believe that was the year Urlacher was injured and lovie shut down almost his entire defense.

Blackjackking

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BearPerspective said:
longtimefan said:

If that D doesnt really play like they did in the 1st 10 games its going to be hard for the team to win..[/quote

Not that it matters but if you read your post you say and I quote, "as far as the 2 tds from ints? Isnt that how you guys beat Arizona?" Unless int's are short for fumble recoveries in you're world that's what you said.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was listeing to Chicago radio today and it's been so much fun listening to these people who a few days ago were bragging about how great their team was. Now they're ready to overhaul the entire team. The excuses about why they lost were just laughable. I just thought I'd share that because they were so boastful prior to the game. What happened was that they got their ears pinned back and once again have been exposed.

That is funny.
It was just the opposite for Packer fans this season.
Stink up the place while their fans cried about how much they sucked and now they are thumping their chests over NOT making the playoffs and the very real possibility of your best player calling it quits.

The only ones who were exposed are the people who flop back and forth from week to week because they really don’t know that much about football.
:thumbsup:

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:

You mean that game didn't count? Better tell the NFL headquarters then. They are still counting it as a LOSS for the Bears and a WIN for the Packers.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts