The cheap shot on Randall Cobb

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a cheap shot. It is a dirty play.
You guys here have heard by b*tch about these kinds of hits for awhile.....sure the DBs are flagged if they hit up in the head area now. But plenty of guys, watch Hawk and Burnett yesterday, they tackle, they wrap up, they go for the waist/chest area.
Goodell deserves a lot of blame though.

http://packersinsider.com/2013/10/cheap-shot-takes-out-cobb-jones-also-injures-knee/

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep - Goodell!! Roger was seen driving Tagliabue to the airport. The NFL needs a new commish - or chauffer!! lol

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry to disagree. If you read the Milwaukee-Journal Sentinel today, Aaron Rodgers went out to talk to Elam, etc. about the hit. He was ticked, but came back saying the NFL rules against high hits forces the d-backs to lower the tackling zone. You're going to see more of these kinds of injuries. It's unfortunate, but it's a legal hit. Elam wasn't flagged. It hurts because it happened to one of our favorites.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would a safety dive at a wr's knees anyways? Randel Cobb is like 190 lbs, Elam he could have easily hit him high while avoiding helmet to helmet.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would a safety dive at a wr's knees anyways? Randel Cobb is like 190 lbs, Elam he could have easily hit him high while avoiding helmet to helmet.

Over concern to not get flagged/fined in my opinion. We've seen a reciever lower is pad level when expected impact and a what would have been chest impact now is helmet to helmet and they get fined....this is a by product of what is being imposed. Do I think he should have went as low as he did nope....do I see why he did it, sadly yes.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The play was not dirty by Elam. I would love to be able to get indignant about it but in today's NFL that's just how safeties have to tackle, unless they want to donate $10 grand+ to the NFL. Chances are that, as others have pointed out, if Cobb sees Elam coming then he lowers his upper body to try and avoid the massive hit. The defensive player in trying to tackle the body is now going to hit the head area. Only way to avoid that possibility is to go even lower.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those claiming it was dirty, is that purely because Cobb was hit in the knee? I only saw the play live and then once on replay but I saw a safety trying to tackle the legs, which is pretty much the only place a guy can hit a WR without getting a flag. I didn't see malice. I saw an unfortunate injury.

Secondly, for all of those concerned about Cobb getting injured on punt returns....maybe we should stop having him play WR instead. We can't have him getting hurt! :whistling:

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it was an intentional cheap shot. I really feel for DB's these days, the tackle window is about the size of a strike zone right now. A strike zone that's constantly moving left to right, up and down.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Sorry to disagree. If you read the Milwaukee-Journal Sentinel today, Aaron Rodgers went out to talk to Elam, etc. about the hit. He was ticked, but came back saying the NFL rules against high hits forces the d-backs to lower the tackling zone. You're going to see more of these kinds of injuries. It's unfortunate, but it's a legal hit. Elam wasn't flagged. It hurts because it happened to one of our favorites.

It hurts because now we have no receivers.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It hurts because now we have no receivers.

In-correct statement. We have Nelson, possibly Jones and Finley as our tops....then yes we have less than "stellar" options....depending on forecast, wouldn't be surprised if we see a few screen passes and flat tosses in the coming weeks to a guy like Franklin.

Reaction score

I don't think it was an intentional cheap shot. I really feel for DB's these days, the tackle window is about the size of a strike zone right now. A strike zone that's constantly moving left to right, up and down.

I agree with both of you guys!

But what I continue to be dumbfounded about is this > If I am a defensive back (and ball carriers when they lead with their helmet), aware of the growing number of head and neck injuries, WHY would I dare choose to place myself in such a risky situation by leading with my helmet, regardless as to WHERE on the body you make contact with an oppenent? I realize the game is played at a high-level intense "flash-of-the eye" bang-bang pace and defensive players have to react quickly to do whatever they feel will most effectively help them to make the play on a ball carrier that is WITHIN the guidelines of where you can and cannot make contact. I get that! Rodgers took a low shot in the Bengal game which should have been flagged as that was a really cheap shot, IMO! I HATE to see anyone get a low shot in the knee area and below (especially with the helmet and/or shoulder pad lead), but as you mentioned, Ceodore, the strike zone IS constantly moving, forcing officials to use their own judgement as they perceive the location of the hit to be. I would not have had a problem at all with the hit on Cobb yesterday, had it been a wrap-up tackle in the knee/thigh area, but it was clearly a lead with the helmet. Cobb wasn't even in a low ball carrying position and as I saw the play, Elam had enough reactionary time to still strike Cobb in the waist/chest area, IMO. And if I am a defensive back in that situation near the goal line, my intention would be to aim my hit where the football is located (not head high or low, but still in the stomach area, as it appeared where Cobb was holding the ball) to jar it loose; just my opinion. Between the excessive "under further reviews" and the hit area controversy, this NFL is becoming unwatchable.

But again, I will just never understand why any player would choose to lead with their helmet on a play. Just doesn't make any sense to risk exposing your head, neck and spine to serious injury:confused:

Last edited:

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
In-correct statement. We have Nelson, possibly Jones and Finley as our tops....then yes we have less than "stellar" options....depending on forecast, wouldn't be surprised if we see a few screen passes and flat tosses in the coming weeks to a guy like Franklin.

Finley as much as he has improved isn't one of our most reliable targets. And Jordy as good as he is can't carry the workload by himself.

Cobb is almost like what Welker is to Brady and Manning. He's an important part of our offense. More important than I think a lot of people realize.

As far as Franklin and readjusting our offense, I can't see that happening. I'm not trying to be negative, but adjustments aren't something MM can do on a whim. I think we've all witnessed this before. Plus going up against the Browns this week, Joe Haden could very well take away Jordy Nelson and if that's the case that doesn't leave a whole lot of other options for Rodgers.

Is there any report on the extent of those injuries? Just because McCarthy says they aren't serious doesn't mean they'll be back next week or even next month. Basically just saying they aren't season ending.

Last edited:

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
But again, I will just never understand why any player would choose to lead with their helmet on a play. Just doesn't make any sense to risk exposing your head, neck and spine to serious injury:confused:

Watch Elam play. He often doesn't use his arms to tackle. He just submarine dives at the players legs to trip them up. He did it twice in the game AFTER the Cobb hit.

Amazing that poor tacklers like this get to the NFL. 1st rounder, too.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't like seeing Cobb go down. My heart goes out to him and I wish him a speedy recovery to, hopefully, a minor injury.

I don't so much feel that it was a dirty play though. Instead something that is caused by the current NFL rules regarding tackling. Frank I remember a thread where you illustrated it quite nicely even. The one about Nick Collins and some other DB's around the league who've lost their careers on injuries caused by trying to make a proper tackle with their head up, whereas people like Deshawn Goldson continuously get flagged for h2h hits and are fine relatively speaking. And along with that Cobb bunched up prior to the hit and leaned forward giving a very small "hit box", not trying to imply that Cobb caused it. I'm just saying that it was entirely a bad situation for both players to be put into and we came out on the short end of the stick.

It makes me really sad that the NFl is with its drive to make the game safer, they are making it unsafe in other ways. Maybe the solution to the concussion issue is in another direction.

Reaction score
Watch Elam play. He often doesn't use his arms to tackle. He just submarine dives at the players legs to trip them up. He did it twice in the game AFTER the Cobb hit.

Amazing that poor tacklers like this get to the NFL. 1st rounder, too.

Yeah, this type of tackling (wrong choice of a word to use in this case) "technique" to me is no different than undercutting a defense-less airborn receiver, chopping the legs out from under them. Maybe I'm being a little too critical here about tackling comparisons, but it just seems to resemble that kind of play, too.

I played high school football along time ago :) and that type "Elam" style tackling drill was actually used by quick smaller defensive backs who chose that technique rather than arm tackling in cases where they could not get their arms extended to make a tackle and they were very successful at stopping the ball carrier, but I don't recall it being an ongoing habit on every play. A high school kid would bounce right back up back then and say "good hit," but this is the NFL! Quite a difference! I would like to think that when you hear the phrase "flying all over the field" that it doesn't mean chopping someone off at the ankles and knees, but unfortunately, we will probably see more of this style of tackling due to the high hitting restrictions. Man, has this game truly changed. Just ugly and scary to watch accidents looking to happen whenever a player goes down.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
DB's have been using their bodies as projectiles since the 70's. I remember giving one of DB's in high school a bad time for calling that a tackle -- but in reality, those guys aren't real big and tend to be a little gun shy. The ones that aren't tend to get hurt a lot.

I don't think it was an intentional 'dirty' shot ... but it sure is a ****-poor way to tackle. I might have a different take on the subject if my job was to tackle a muscle bound guy at full speed...

Reaction score
DB's have been using their bodies as projectiles since the 70's. I remember giving one of DB's in high school a bad time for calling that a tackle -- but in reality, those guys aren't real big and tend to be a little gun shy. The ones that aren't tend to get hurt a lot.

I don't think it was an intentional 'dirty' shot ... but it sure is a ****-poor way to tackle. I might have a different take on the subject if my job was to tackle a muscle bound guy at full speed...

Yeah, especially when Elam had a clear shot to make an arm tackle or aim for the football. Hell, you can throw yourself in front of a running back (crab-block style) without aiming your helmet at the ankles, knees or inner thigh area and I could have lived with that, but again, the high hitting restrictions allowed the officials to give him a "pass" dirty hit, or not. And yes, it sure is a ****-poor way to tackle.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I live in Baltimore and watch the Ravens play every game just like GB on Directv. No Safeties hit like Jason Elam hit Cobb. He targeted his knees plain and simple. One goal {like it or not} is to take out the Offensive playmakers when you get the chance and if you think any different then you don't understand pro ball. Just like when a QB runs the ball you can lay him out, well when their is a receiver who catches the ball and makes a move upfield you can hit him low and take him out. When you come up to tackle you can target to time your hit and blow a guy up or you can target the knees and if he gets hurt he gets hurt. The hit was very obvious watching it which really pissed me off. Did he need to tackle like that NOOO! Again I watch these guys play all of the time and have seen nothing similar to this happen over the past several years by Ravens DB's. So tell me does this sound normal?

I wouldn't even be surprised if Elam was trying to make a name for himself. Remember Cobb ate up the SEC when Elam was at Florida and set the SEC record for all purpose yards. So my belief is that that hit may go back even further to try and make a name for himself.

Last edited:

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
After calming down and watching the replay, I have to admit that I don't think it was a cheap shot. Elam hit low, didn't use his arms, and led with his helmet, but I don't think he was trying to hurt Cobb. He was trying to up-end him, IMO. Not great tackling technique, but not cheap either.

I see that Cobb has a fractured fibula and will be out 6-8 weeks. Probably back this season with no long term effect. A fractured bone is infinitely better than any injury to the knee. I am very relieved.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After calming down and watching the replay, I have to admit that I don't think it was a cheap shot. Elam hit low, didn't use his arms, and led with his helmet, but I don't think he was trying to hurt Cobb. He was trying to up-end him, IMO. Not great tackling technique, but not cheap either.
No, you were right your prior post, not this one.

Was this hit legal? Yes it was, and that's the NFL and NFLPA's fault.

But it was not clean. It was dirty. You know why? Because there's not a player in the NFL who could withstand cheap shots into knees/legs like that. He was unprotected, defenseless. The p**** DB could have hit him anywhere he chose. He chose to go low.

I'm serious, but I'd rather that player who did that would break a vertabrae than our guy get his leg broken. Without question.

If the NFL won't stop it, maybe some broken necks to the DB's might?
Or put leather helmets on anyone who tackles like that... they lose the right to a hard helmet if they lead with heads low or high? I like that. :devilish:

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

I salute how you disagreed without issuing disagreeable ratings ! You are an example for others to follow. :tup:

Reaction score
The most frustrating thing is that Cobb wasn't in any position to advance any further and he had so much time (football wise) to make a decision to just do a normal tackle on the side/chest of Cobb.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The most frustrating thing is that Cobb wasn't in any position to advance any further and he had so much time (football wise) to make a decision to just do a normal tackle on the side/chest of Cobb.
Exactly.
He was 100% defenseless, but that's the way that punk "tackles".
Goodell has to be held accountable.
I'm gonna tweet his *** right now again.

12theTruth

I have watched this hit more times to be sure so I wouldn't let my emotions dictate my thinking.

My take is that that player deserves a suspension. If you watch the defender his arms are down not extended forward. His helmet is pointed as a missille directly at Cobb's leg. It was a brutal uncalled for hit. NO place in the game.

Legal or not that defender was trying to cripple Cobb with that hit. Reminds me of the Saints during bounty gate as in the unabashed nature of the hits against Favre in question. The rules needs to be tweaked for certain.

You'd think that a fellow NFL player wouldn't mess with the livelihood of another in such a manner. I'm an eye for an eye kind of guy so the next time the Ravens are on the schedule I'd be dishing out a little payback especially if no fines or suspensions are not issued for this situation.

Members online

Latest posts