The Blame Thread

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How & How do you assess the blame for this one?

I'll go like this:

• 40% our offensive line
  • 30% our tackling
  • 10% Capers
  • 10% Rodgers
  • 10% Zebras
First of all, many of us have been worried about the softness of our OL for awhile.
They've been decent in pass-protection, but poor run blocking.

Well our OL was pathetic today, with the exception that they did a great job on Justin Smith.

But they let Ahmad Brooks get RIGHT IN 2 straight times at the end of the game.... the first time Bulaga eff'd up, and the next time TJ Lang butchered it.

With the way the zebra's were allowing the Niners DBs & LBs to clutch, grab, hold, maul, ****** our receivers and TE's, Rodgers needed at least 2 or 3 seconds to let his guys run half of their routes before throwing it.

As fast as Brooks came in on that final, critical failed drive, Rodgers had no prayer other than the last desperate throw to Jordy Nelson, who was actually only covered by one guy with no safety help there. But Jordy was unable to come up with the jump ball to preserve the game.

Our tackling was terrible again, like last year, but worse because DJ Smith was so often not in the right hole (like they always are when Benson got the rare carry). Smith even once, late on Frank Gore's 16-yard run to the left, took himself out of the play by going too wide and running himself into another Packer who was being blocked by a Niner. There were so many other cases where he took wrong angles to runs, and had to chase.
The loss of Desmond Bishop might prove as fatal as losing Collins was last year. We still have no adequate replacement for Collins back there, and Burnett is not even close to being in Collins league.

Capers gets a little blame because he couldn't figure out who should be the #2 safety back there. He tried M.D. Jennings even though he was awful in the preseason. That didn't work tonight and he replaced him with the rookie McMillian.

The blame on Rodgers is for his terrible interception right when the Packers had cut the lead to 8 and had the momentum. It also is for him, once again, failing to come thru with a 4th quarter comeback, EXCTLY AS COLD HARD FOOTBALL FACTS documented this summer.
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.co...ut-the-front-running-green-bay-packers/15352/

But fans do not like to hear the truth, and the truth that McCarthy’s Packers have a serious crunch-time issue with pulling out close wins, and the problem is amplified in games started by Rodgers.

The record is 3-18 (.143) at fourth-quarter comeback opportunities under Rodgers, which may historically compare best to the forgettable Bill Kenney and the 1980s Chiefs (3-27 record).

Overall, Green Bay is 7-26 (.212) in fourth quarter comeback opportunities since McCarthy became the coach in 2006. That is seven fourth-quarter comebacks in six seasons. The New York Giants produced seven fourth-quarter comebacks in 2011 alone.

In games where Green Bay does not lead at halftime, the Packers are 6-18 (.250) since 2008 (just 2-8 at home).

When you look at the rest of the league in that second-half situation, you see the teams with the very best quarterbacks own the top four spots for winning percentage:
  • Tom Brady and New England (11-12; .478)
  • Peyton Manning and Indianapolis (14-20; .412)
  • Ben Roethlisberger and Pittsburgh (11-16; .407)
  • Drew Brees and New Orleans (11-17; .393)
Green Bay at .250 is tied for No. 21, which all comes back to not finishing games in the fourth quarter.

There are some truly amazing numbers with Rodgers and the Packers.

When trailing by at least 7 points at any point in the game, Rodgers is 8-18 (.308) as a starter. Only three of the wins came when trailing in the second half. Just how long did Green Bay trail in the second half of those games? The Falcons kept them down for 11:18, but the lead only held for 157 seconds at Carolina, and 51 seconds at Minnesota.

Somehow, that 8-18 record includes an 0-8 record at home when trailing by 7 points at any point in the game. Consider Rodgers’ rival in Detroit, Matthew Stafford, has managed a record of 4-9 (.308) when trailing by 17+ points in his brief career.

W

wxman2005

75% AR
25% MM

Bad TO at end of first half and AR throws ball OB. Leads to 3 points. AR throws 70 yards on 3 and 1, and 40 yards on 4th and 10. AR throws INT after defense stops 49ers and leads to 7. 10 points. Packers lose by 8. School is now out of session.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I'd give less problems to Rodgers maybe 7%, add %3 Woodson, and maybe 10% refs. While I am a firm believer good teams can beat refs, this game was just badly called on both sides. Cobbs Td shouldn't of counted, but neither should of some of the drives from 49ers. When both coaches are pissed off at the refs before the first half ends, its a red flag of how bad the refs were.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
75% AR
25% MM

Bad TO at end of first half and AR throws ball OB. Leads to 3 points. AR throws 70 yards on 3 and 1, and 40 yards on 4th and 10. AR throws INT after defense stops 49ers and leads to 7. 10 points. Packers lose by 8. School is now out of session.
That's true. That time-management at the end of the first half was TURRIBLE.

We had 3rd & 9 with under a minute to go, at our own 21 or 22, and McCarthy stopped the clock by calling timeout.
Then Rodgers had to scramble, and instead of falling down and stopping the clock, he chucked the ball out of bounds. I was glad he avoided a hit, but that stopped the clock and allowed the Niners a chance to get that FG which they LUCKILY got. Those 3 points may not have mattered. But we'll really never know.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Pretty much agree. But who does everyone think if you had to single someone out on the o-line to blame, it'd be?

Let's break that down too:

33% Newhouse
27% Lang
15% Saturday
10% Sitton
15% Bulaga

MiamiBeachPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How & How do you assess the blame for this one?

I'll go like this:

• 40% our offensive line
  • 30% our tackling
  • 10% Capers
  • 10% Rodgers
  • 10% Zebras
First of all, many of us have been worried about the softness of our OL for awhile.

They've been decent in pass-protection, but poor run blocking.

Well our OL was pathetic today, with the exception that they did a great job on Justin Smith.

But they let Ahmad Brooks get RIGHT IN 2 straight times at the end of the game.... the first time Bulaga eff'd up, and the next time TJ Lang butchered it.

With the way the zebra's were allowing the Niners DBs & LBs to clutch, grab, hold, maul, ****** our receivers and TE's, Rodgers needed at least 2 or 3 seconds to let his guys run half of their routes before throwing it.

As fast as Brooks came in on that final, critical failed drive, Rodgers had no prayer other than the last desperate throw to Jordy Nelson, who was actually only covered by one guy with no safety help there. But Jordy was unable to come up with the jump ball to preserve the game.

Our tackling was terrible again, like last year, but worse because DJ Smith was so often not in the right hole (like they always are when Benson got the rare carry). Smith even once, late on Frank Gore's 16-yard run to the left, took himself out of the play by going too wide and running himself into another Packer who was being blocked by a Niner. There were so many other cases where he took wrong angles to runs, and had to chase.
The loss of Desmond Bishop might prove as fatal as losing Collins was last year. We still have no adequate replacement for Collins back there, and Burnett is not even close to being in Collins league.

Capers gets a little blame because he couldn't figure out who should be the #2 safety back there. He tried M.D. Jennings even though he was awful in the preseason. That didn't work tonight and he replaced him with the rookie McMillian.

The blame on Rodgers is for his terrible interception right when the Packers had cut the lead to 8 and had the momentum. It also is for him, once again, failing to come thru with a 4th quarter comeback, EXCTLY AS COLD HARD FOOTBALL FACTS documented this summer.
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.co...ut-the-front-running-green-bay-packers/15352/

You forgot to put some blame on our WRs and TEs for not getting open enough

Reaction score
I'm going to give 50% of the blame to Capers. Our defense couldn't stop a running toilet today. As for the O line they pretty much screwed the pooch the last two series, but I'll give them a little more credit.

Scrubs 30%. Seriously what was that first half? All those penalties and phantom calls. Yes the TD by Cobb was questionable, but there were two blocks going on at the same time. Which were they referring to? The roughing the passer by Matthews was pure BS and how about that clear false start in the first half that totally went uncalled. Our defense pretty much stopped because of that and it gave the 49ers 15 yards to keep the drive alive. Both crap calls ended up in scores. Give us regular refs and this game would've been much different.

10% to Rodgers for that interception. That was pure Favreness right there.

Breakdown:

Capers 50%
Scrubs buttplugs 30%
Rodgers 10%
Line 10%

p.s. The Bears offense is going to be a lot better than the 9ers trust me.

MiamiBeachPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to give 50% of the blame to Capers. Our defense couldn't stop a running toilet today. As for the O line they pretty much screwed the pooch the last two series, but I'll give them a little more credit.

Scrubs 30%. Seriously what was that first half? All those penalties and phantom calls. Yes the TD by Cobb was questionable, but there were two blocks going on at the same time. Which were they referring to? The roughing the passer by Matthews was pure BS and how about that clear false start in the first half that totally went uncalled. Our defense pretty much stopped because of that and it gave the 49ers 15 yards to keep the drive alive. Both crap calls ended up in scores. Give us regular refs and this game would've been much different.

10% to Rodgers for that interception. That was pure Favreness right there.

Breakdown:

Capers 50%
Scrubs buttplugs 30%
Rodgers 10%
Line 10%

p.s. The Bears offense is going to be a lot better than the 9ers trust me.

I don't think you can put 50% on Capers. He can't be out there making the tackles for the defense himself. The Packers played a lot of their base defense in this game to defend against the run, and they just couldn't bring the 49ers RBs down.

Reaction score
There was more coming from the front 7 today than the secondary though. Let's not forget that Randy Moss scored on us. They also went after Bush all day. I don't know why we keep him around.

MiamiBeachPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was more coming from the front 7 today than the secondary though. Let's not forget that Randy Moss scored on us. They also went after Bush all day. I don't know why we keep him around.

Bush was out there in the base today mostly because of the 49ers run game. One thing Bush is good at is tackling.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
People under estimated the 49ers, just like last year, barely anyone gave them a chance in this game.

That defense is just a force to be reckoned with. They don't need an elite QB, or elite WRs either, they run the clock on you. Refs really tried to help in this game with that bad call on the punt return, but seriously the game was over by then. No run game, and look how they chewed the clock up, remind you of something last year? They take the run away and force you into a one dimensional setting. This was a team lose. if you're going to blame the offensive line, blame the defensive line too cause they looked lost for the most part and horrible at tackling, much like last season.

Harbaugh has balls of steel to not run the clock out and take a huge chance with that field goal. People can criticize that offense all they want, but that man knows what the hell he's doing. Just the fact he did that like Coughlin calling the hail mary, this defense is not that intimidating.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is what we can blame. We got beat by a really good team. That is it. We can point fingers all we want but we have to have perspective and just move on. We have a short week with a big game with the Bears on Thursday. I hope the Pack puts this behind them and realizes their mistakes and focuses on fixing them. It's not about blame. It's about having an awareness that we lost to a team with an incredible defense and strong QB.

MiamiBeachPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is what we can blame. We got beat by a really good team. That is it. We can point fingers all we want but we have to have perspective and just move on. We have a short week with a big game with the Bears on Thursday. I hope the Pack puts this behind them and realizes their mistakes and focuses on fixing them. It's not about blame. It's about having an awareness that we lost to a team with an incredible defense and strong QB.

I agree with everything you said except for that very last part

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score

Post of the day.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You forgot to put some blame on our WRs and TEs for not getting open enough
I don't think so... if you taped the game, rewatch some things and notice how their DBs were accosting our receivers, molesting them, as often as possible and they were slowing our guys down, and getting away with it.

It reminded me of the Patriots tactics in the early 00's.... they forced the league to change the rules and tighten calls up against that.

These refs again need that memo.

The Chiefs kind of did this to us last year when they ended our streak. Anyone remember that? They got away with 2 BLATANT ones on Jordy, then one time the zebra's amazingly flagged Jordy for an OPI.

Today, the same thing happened to James Jones. His defender was assaulting him. The 2nd time it happened, Jones pushed him away and he got the flag thrown on him.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm sorry Kitten but that is fluff. We were dismantled by a team that is where we need to be. We need to match the same level of play.

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think so... if you taped the game, rewatch some things and notice how their DBs were accosting our receivers, molesting them, as often as possible and they were slowing our guys down, and getting away with it.

It reminded me of the Patriots tactics in the early 00's.... they forced the league to change the rules and tighten calls up against that.

These refs again need that memo.

The Chiefs kind of did this to us last year when they ended our streak. Anyone remember that? They got away with 2 BLATANT ones on Jordy, then one time the zebra's amazingly flagged Jordy for an OPI.

Today, the same thing happened to James Jones. His defender was assaulting him. The 2nd time it happened, Jones pushed him away and he got the flag thrown on him.

While i don't disagree about the officiating and the mugging but receivers today need to man up and fight through it. The Patriots might have done that years ago but so did Carolina when they played each other in the super bowl. Receivers had to earn their yards and weren't being babied like they are today.

NYG

Cheesehead
Reaction score

San Fran is a one dimensional team that's lucky they're in the awful NFC West. No QB, coach is a dumb loud mouth, stop exaggerating. Packers may be vastly overrated.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
San Fran is a one dimensional team that's lucky they're in the awful NFC West. No QB, coach is a dumb loud mouth, stop exaggerating. Packers may be vastly overrated.

You know, I love when the Giants lose to Dallas, you guys are no where to be found, probably ashamed your team got it's teeth kicked in by those boys down south that has a clown for an owner that is rapping about Papa Johns.

For a 'dumb loud mouth' looks like Harbaugh took way more risks than your loud mouth coach did against the Cowboys, a fairly easier offense to shut down. Oh wait, Kevin Gilbride is your offensive coordinator, most overrated offensive coordinator ever.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
I don't think you can put 50% on Capers. He can't be out there making the tackles for the defense himself. The Packers played a lot of their base defense in this game to defend against the run, and they just couldn't bring the 49ers RBs down.

All I can say is on that last TD run of SF's, Four Packers had a shot, and the forth one actually just pushed him over the goal line to knock him down.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great post by Frank Rizzo! Tells it all.
Capers gets outfoxed but he just does not have all the horses he needs.
We played better D in 2010 when we had all those defenders on IR. We just cannot compensate for the absence of a Cullen Jenkins, Nick Collins, or Desmond Bishop. Our LBs are not handling the run inside or outside as they were that year. We have to get better on 3rd down on both sides of the ball. We need more leadership and discipline.
That needs to come from vets like Woodson, Saturday, and Driver ( if they let him play )
Rodgers used to use his backs for pass catching as well. How many balls did Kuhn or Benson get today in the air?
Brandon Jackson and Grant always got a screen pass at least once a game?

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score

They are not as one dimensional as you would think. At least not anymore. Alex Smith has improved a lot even since last year. Harbaugh is one of the best coaches in the league. If you underestimate them that's your fault.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts