The Beer Sport

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Got to be honest, I`m not a big fan of stout beer, with the exception of bottled Guinness. PF75 question for you please mate. What category does 50/- ale come in ? A bitter ? and what is Heavy ??? I`ve heard the expression when visiting Scotland before, but never knew what it was.

I

:tup:
Yeah, I guess it's specifically about beer. I only come to the "All other Sports" forum so I decided to put this thread here, even tho beer isn't a sport, its what you drink when watching sports. :D

Nice Pick Buggy! Goose Island produces some fine beers. Honkers Ale is the classic beer for them, but their specialty beer, "Bourbon County Stout" is one amazing beer. Their IPA and Endless IPA's are both good.

They also produce a line of Belgian-style beers. Sofie, Matilda, Pepe Nero and Pere Jacques are all nice beers.

You are English correct?

Sorry for the delay Bundesbier, yes I am English

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Got to be honest, I`m not a big fan of stout beer, with the exception of bottled Guinness. PF75 question for you please mate. What category does 50/- ale come in ? A bitter ? and what is Heavy ??? I`ve heard the expression when visiting Scotland before, but never knew what it was.

Ah, you must be asking about schillings. The answer comes from history and taxation, but I'll let PF71 answer the rest.

I

;)
Ah, you must be asking about schillings. The answer comes from history and taxation, but I'll let PF71 answer the rest.
Yes Bb, I understand the shilling tax thing, I was just curious about the Style of beer really, but thank you for your info. I remember thinking the aroma of the beer at the Beamish museum pub a few years ago was superb.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
In the Beer Judging World, it is typically classified like this.

1. Scottish Light Ale/60 Schilling/ABV 3%. Examples are Belhaven and McEwans.

2. Scottish Heavy Ale/70 Schilling/ABV 3.5%. Examples include Caledonian Maclay 70 and Tennets Special

3. Scottish Export Ale/80 Schilling/ABV 4-5%. Examples include
Orkney Dark Island, Caledonian 80/- Export Ale, Belhaven 80/- (Belhaven Scottish Ale in the US), Southampton 80 Shilling, Broughton Exciseman’s 80/-, Belhaven St. Andrews Ale, McEwan's Export (IPA), Inveralmond Lia Fail, Broughton Merlin’s Ale, Arran Dark

4. Strong Scotch Ale/ABV 6.5-10%. Examples include Traquair House Ale, Belhaven Wee Heavy, McEwan's Scotch Ale and Orkney Skull Splitter.

Hope I didn't steal PF71's Thunder.

I

In the Beer Judging World, it is typically classified like this.

1. Scottish Light Ale/60 Schilling/ABV 3%. Examples are Belhaven and McEwans.

2. Scottish Heavy Ale/70 Schilling/ABV 3.5%. Examples include Caledonian Maclay 70 and Tennets Special

3. Scottish Export Ale/80 Schilling/ABV 4-5%. Examples include
Orkney Dark Island, Caledonian 80/- Export Ale, Belhaven 80/- (Belhaven Scottish Ale in the US), Southampton 80 Shilling, Broughton Exciseman’s 80/-, Belhaven St. Andrews Ale, McEwan's Export (IPA), Inveralmond Lia Fail, Broughton Merlin’s Ale, Arran Dark

4. Strong Scotch Ale/ABV 6.5-10%. Examples include Traquair House Ale, Belhaven Wee Heavy, McEwan's Scotch Ale and Orkney Skull Splitter.

Hope I didn't steal PF71's Thunder.

I think I`m possibly not making my question clear. In England and the U.K. generally we have beers known as "Bitter", which is made with hops giving it its distinctive taste. In the Midlands particularly we have some beers called "Mild", which has a lower alcohol level and less hoppy in character. We have what is called "Brown Ale", most famously Newcastle brown ale which seems to have travelled well throughout the world. We obviously have beers called IPA or India Pale Ale which originated I believe was developed to send to British troops serving in India.
We have Lagers of course.( I`m not a fan ) and fruit beers which are interesting occassionally but I don`t think sitting down to a good drinking session would be a good idea...lol

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Dont worry Bund not really into Scottish beer these days anyway Shock horror!!! ive moved on to other things. :D

I

;)
Boredom grown out of it i guess, like the odd one but thats it.
Fair enough. I kind of got bored with the local beers around here, apart from a good pint of "Speckled Hen" from the Moreland Brewery.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
I think I`m possibly not making my question clear. In England and the U.K. generally we have beers known as "Bitter", which is made with hops giving it its distinctive taste. In the Midlands particularly we have some beers called "Mild", which has a lower alcohol level and less hoppy in character. We have what is called "Brown Ale", most famously Newcastle brown ale which seems to have travelled well throughout the world. We obviously have beers called IPA or India Pale Ale which originated I believe was developed to send to British troops serving in India.
We have Lagers of course.( I`m not a fan ) and fruit beers which are interesting occassionally but I don`t think sitting down to a good drinking session would be a good idea...lol

My goodness... I just went back and re-read your question. I completely read it wrong the first time. My bad.

I can't say that I have seen a 50 schilling beer. But I imagine it is a mild with very little hops.

I am a fan of English bitters and IPA's, although the American IPA's are quite a bit more aggressive with the hops than the English versions of IPA, but as long as they are drinkable, I'll have a pint.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
I rarely drink hard alcohols or spirits. But I discovered in recent years that I really like Aquavit. Not sure if the Danish or Norwegians invented it, but I like the aroma and taste of caraway, which is an herb used in Aquavit.

I

My goodness... I just went back and re-read your question. I completely read it wrong the first time. My bad.

I can't say that I have seen a 50 schilling beer. But I imagine it is a mild with very little hops.

I am a fan of English bitters and IPA's, although the American IPA's are quite a bit more aggressive with the hops than the English versions of IPA, but as long as they are drinkable, I'll have a pint.

I may have been mistaken by what shilling ale it was Bb to be honest mate, I do remember it being Belhaven. No need for an apology either way.
I agree with your opinion that it was probably a mild of some sort. I just remember how enjoyable it was....lol
I`m off to Belgium next month and those guys can certainly make beer..
Out of interest here, have you guys tried Leff beer ??? I found the stuff disgusting and just wondered if it was just me ?

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
I may have been mistaken by what shilling ale it was Bb to be honest mate, I do remember it being Belhaven. No need for an apology either way.
I agree with your opinion that it was probably a mild of some sort. I just remember how enjoyable it was....lol
Out of interest here, have you guys tried Leff beer ??? I found the stuff disgusting and just wondered if it was just me ?

The Scots brought their knowledge over to Belgium and they learned well.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score

The Belgians make some incredible beers, and strong beers. Belgian Tripels and Dubbels are wonderful but can't drink a lot of them when they range in the 8-12% ABV range.

Belgium also has unique offering of sour beers, mostly with fruit, but that's not my sort of thing.

Leffe beer is the mass swill of Belgium, so its not surprising you don't like it.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Kind of random, but does anyone know anything about Portuguese beers (if any?), planning my cousins stag do (bachelor party for you American guys) over there, interested in what we might find?

Super Bock is the only one I can think of that's Portuguesse.

Since Spain is soo close, you might find Estrella Damm there.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, look what I got from my workmate.
Its a World Cup beer crate and in there I find

Bitburger - Gemany
Sam Adams - USA
Quilmes- Argentina
hite- South Korea
Karlovacko - Croatia
Club Colombia - Colombia
Brahma - Brazil
Kronenbourg 1664 - France
Grolsch - Netherlands
Akosombo - Ghana and
San Miguel - Spain

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Its a costumer give away but I got one for free :)

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Hey, look what I got from my workmate.
Its a World Cup beer crate and in there I find

Bitburger - Gemany
Sam Adams - USA
Quilmes- Argentina
hite- South Korea
Karlovacko - Croatia
Club Colombia - Colombia
Brahma - Brazil
Kronenbourg 1664 - France
Grolsch - Netherlands
Akosombo - Ghana and
San Miguel - Spain

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Its a costumer give away but I got one for free :)

Kind of a cool collection. San Miguel is a Phillipino beer tho. :p

I have not had the Hite, Club Columbia, or Akosombo. All others I have drank.

Members online

Latest posts