The Bates Difference.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan said:
calicheesehead said:
Shall we call him Master Bates ? I get the feeling this is just what our players needed-good coaching.
LOL "Master Bates" sorry I am bad, but I don't think.... nevermind... :thumbsup:
That's an old classic movie with Jackie Gleason as I recollect....
Richard Pryor, Jackie Gleason and that blond, Candy something....
Great stuff - hilarious.... it's called "The Toy".... ( I think)

And, yes... it's not lost on most packer fans that the opposition is already rampant with ???-Bates jokes galore....

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, what I meant is that football does not mean to be made more complex than it is....let these fine athletes use their physical skills to maximum affect by minimizing brain overload with excessively complex schemes.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The scheme or type of defense does not mean anything unless you have quality players to run it. Buddy Ryan left after the 85 season and the next year the Bears set the single season record for fewest points allowed. The players are either good enough or they are not.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
The scheme or type of defense does not mean anything unless you have quality players to run it. Buddy Ryan left after the 85 season and the next year the Bears set the single season record for fewest points allowed. The players are either good enough or they are not.
Think Buddy was being slighted?

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:

but it can help...
our defense has to look better in '05, it can't look worse than it did, hopefully Bates will find a way to rush the passer without leaving harris and caroll alone...hopefully we wont let backs catch passes and run all day, yeah schemes can help

packer4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this Defense will wake up out of it's hibernation with Bates at the helm. Last year the Defense didn't have a leader, Slowit was just as confused as the players. Motivation is a powerful tool and Jimmy sure knows how to do that. I think this D is going to make a statement this year.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packer4ever said:
Last year the Defense didn't have a leader, Slowit was just as confused as the players.

Do you mean leader on the field or leader coaching-wise? Because if you mean defensive leader from a coaching standpoint, yes Jim Bates is a tremendous upgrade...

If you mean defensive leader from a player standpoint...who is it? We have three steady linebackers finally, the best our linebacker core has been in a bunch of seasons, but no standout guy. Our d-line, KGB can rush the passer, Grady can stuff the run, and unproven players, our secondary, Al Harris is the only person on the defense who I'd grant leader status, two new safeties no matter what way you look at it and another young corner...what I'm saying is our defense needs a true playmaker to emerge, a 'leader', someone to step up and say something before this team hits the field, so we dont come out flat and give up 30+ points in any more home playoff games...this team needs some soul

packer4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I meant leader PERIOD The defense didn't have a leader on the field or off. Al Harris didn't do to bad pumpin the D up last year but he still lacks something, I'm not sure what it is but something is missing. I guess that's why I'm glad to see Sharper gone. He should have been the one last year to lead that defense but he never seemed to really care about the team just himself. We definitely got rid of a cancer there. I would like to see Nick Barnett come out this year and lead this D. That guy is a maniac on the field and he's been around long enough to start leading this team one can only hope. Go PACK Go

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packer4ever said:
I'm not sure what it is but something is missing. I guess that's why I'm glad to see Sharper gone. He should have been the one last year to lead that defense but he never seemed to really care about the team just himself. We definitely got rid of a cancer there. I would like to see Nick Barnett come out this year and lead this D. That guy is a maniac on the field and he's been around long enough to start leading this team one can only hope. Go PACK Go

another cancer that's gone, or will be...Cleditus Hunt...also Roman and Naivies wont be forced into starting roles, roles theyre really not capable of.

Supposedly, at the beginning of the offseason at least...we were looking for another middle linebacker and were planning on moving barnett to the outside, i guess that dissipated with the signing of thompson, a natural OLB

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My feeling is.. that Nick Barnett will step up as the Leader, first in the Locker Room - just to see who climbs onboard when they get out on the field - then after that, you'll see more of that "let's gather around Reggie" routine with Barnett being who they rally to for inspiration....

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
My feeling is.. that Nick Barnett will step up as the Leader, first in the Locker Room - just to see who climbs onboard when they get out on the field - then after that, you'll see more of that "let's gather around Reggie" routine with Barnett being who they rally to for inspiration....

I felt that way after Barnett's rookie year, but now I'm not sure. I thought Barnett was a little immature at times last year. A few times the Packers were being blown out, and Barnett would get up and start doing some showboating and mouthing off after making a tackle in a game that was a lost cause. That kind of turned me off a few times last year. Sherman was upset with it a little too and talked to him about it last year.

I still love Barnett's enthusiasm, desire, and athletic ability, but I hope he shows a little better judgement this season in some of those situations. If he does I think he could become a team leader that we need on defense.

Gravedigger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
The Point is, Bates has made the PACKERS defense better with his approach and style.

It makes no difference WHAT he had in Miami. We are talking about the 2005 Green bay packers. By his inclusion, the defense just got much better than 2004.

And THAT was Sherman's fault.

I think Bates put the defense together in Miami just like he's doing for us. I agree that the defense has to be reflexive, which comes from coaching doable things. Under Slowit our favorites were as lost as Bush.

Phil Bengston was the defensive coach for Lombardi. Lombardi coached the offense. Bengston provided the scheme and Vince provided enough emotion for everyone.

Members online

Latest posts