The argument for improving the linebackers

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
All you need to know is that Linebackers are featured in a 34, and if we want to try to move to a 43 we need a MLB. Either way LB needs to improve, especially the putrid depth.

TCHickman24

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imo, selecting Mosely at 21 would be huge. I know some people on this board aren't crazy about Mosely as I, but this guy is a stud. I'm from GA so I see a lot of SEC games. This guy is everywhere and always around the ball. Out of all the prospects that could realistically be there when we pick, CJ Mosely is at the top of my board.

H

HardRightEdge

Yet another linebacker/safety, safety/linebacker take.

I'm still waiting for somebody to make an argument for how our D-Line is supposed to work.

Stevie DK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mosley can play every LB position, 34 or 43 doesn't matter, he maybe even be better than Morgan or M.D. if you put him at safety, he's talented and would upgrade the D instantly.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is often cited how the injury to Nick Collins hurt the defense at the safety position but the loss of ILB Desmond Bishop started the recurring issues at linebacker.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If there's an argument about improving LB play, who is against it?

I'll bet if Mosley is the highest rated defensive player on the Packers board at 21, they'll take him. And of course there's a chance they'll take a player on the other side of the ball if he's their highest rated player. That's why, like last off season I'd really like to see a mid-range UFA safety signed so there's no pressure to reach for one and they aren't left with inexperienced players vying for the safety spot next to Burnett.

H

HardRightEdge

If there's an argument about improving LB play, who is against it?

I'm not "against it". I'm against it, or safety, being the highest draft priority. And there you went...diving in at LB in the first round which is precisely my point. Wasn't it safety last week?

We have bunches of mediocre returning vets at both LB and S. It's sad to say, but we don't appear to be nearly in that good of shape at D-Line.

Last edited by a moderator:

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet another linebacker/safety, safety/linebacker take.

I'm still waiting for somebody to make an argument for how our D-Line is supposed to work.

I completely agree. If Raji, Pick, Jolly, and Wilson are gone - which is certainly a real possibility - DL becomes the biggest need. And the best part is there should be some real talent at 21 on the DL - Nix, Tuitt, and Hagemann. I really think Nix would be the best option for us at that spot and hope he's our pick, even if Mosely and Clinton-Dix are on the board (assuming our DL is decimated via FA).

H

HardRightEdge

I completely agree. If Raji, Pick, Jolly, and Wilson are gone - which is certainly a real possibility - DL becomes the biggest need. And the best part is there should be some real talent at 21 on the DL - Nix, Tuitt, and Hagemann. I really think Nix would be the best option for us at that spot and hope he's our pick, even if Mosely and Clinton-Dix are on the board (assuming our DL is decimated via FA).
If any 2 out of 3 among Raji, Picket and Jolly are gone it becomes the highest need.

The more I think about the D-Line situation, the worse it appears. I fear we may yet resign Raji...a high level of need can make one rationalize just about anything.

Oh, well. The local press was beating the safety drum, is moving on to the LB drum but will eventually hit upon that "oh, sh*t" D-Line moment.

By the way, if we re-sign Raji, I'll be going on a 30 day fan strike in protest.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If any 2 out of 3 among Raji, Picket and Jolly are gone it becomes the highest need.

The more I think about the D-Line situation, the worse it appears. I fear we may yet resign Raji...a high level of need can make one rationalize just about anything.

Oh, well. The local press was beating the safety drum, is moving on to the LB drum but will eventually hit upon that "oh, sh*t" D-Line moment.

By the way, is we re-sign Raji, I'll be going on a 30 day fan strike in protest.

I wouldn't mind re-signing Raji if it's on a team-friendly deal. I imagine something like a 1- or 2-year deal that is cheap, but loaded with incentives. Kind of a like prove-it type deal that motivates Raji to play well for his next deal. And if he still plays like this uninspired Raji of late, he's a cheap player to be plugged in occasionally and/or can be cut with little consequence. Because, as you said, we are in dire straights if these guys move on. Keeping Raji under this scenario would at least offer another body that has the potential to be a good player.

H

HardRightEdge

I wouldn't mind re-signing Raji if it's on a team-friendly deal. I imagine something like a 1- or 2-year deal that is cheap, but loaded with incentives. Kind of a like prove-it type deal that motivates Raji to play well for his next deal. And if he still plays like this uninspired Raji of late, he's a cheap player to be plugged in occasionally and/or can be cut with little consequence. Because, as you said, we are in dire straights if these guys move on. Keeping Raji under this scenario would at least offer another body that has the potential to be a good player.
You know, we ***** about that $4 mil/year Brad Jones deal, but when you get down to it only the $3 mil signing bonus was guaranteed. TT can release him at any time and pick up cap space if they don't think he's worth it. It puts the team in a position similar to exercising an option.

A deal like that with Raji might be palatable provided the first year salary is modest. Otherwise it's similar to a franchise tag. The chances of him signing a deal like that are about as good as seeing us tag Finley....south of slim. Besides, we hear he turned down $8 mil per year already...likely because it was light on the guarantees in recognition of his off-and-on motor.

There's also two existential questions (or about as existential as you can get when talking about a football team):

1. Do you want a quitter, regardless of price? First it was plays, then it was games, now we're up to half seasons at a time.

2. How badly can you damage a football team if you actually pay a quitter real money?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Imo, selecting Mosely at 21 would be huge. I know some people on this board aren't crazy about Mosely as I, but this guy is a stud. I'm from GA so I see a lot of SEC games. This guy is everywhere and always around the ball. Out of all the prospects that could realistically be there when we pick, CJ Mosely is at the top of my board.
Should have seen how big Big 10 guys were on Hawk.

H

HardRightEdge

Move Boyd to NT, Daniels to RDE, Worthy to LDE. Then fail miserably and go back to the drafting board.
I debated whether to give you an "agree" or a "funny" on that one. I decided that while the presentation is humorous, the matter is not.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Cross your fingers and hope that one of those many high draft picks along the defensive line actually pans out?
So far the guys with the biggest shot at panning out are Boyd and Daniels, the safe picks we took on day 3. Even Wilson did ok. Seems like every time we swing for the fences we strike out, but usually get on base when we bunt.

H

HardRightEdge

Cross your fingers and hope that one of those many high draft picks along the defensive line actually pans out?
Well, we cross our fingers on all high draft picks, don't we? There's always a lot at stake there.

H

HardRightEdge

So far the guys with the biggest shot at panning out are Boyd and Daniels, the safe picks we took on day 3. Even Wilson did ok. Seems like every time we swing for the fences we strike out, but usually get on base when we bunt.
The best things we can say about Boyd is he hasn't played enough to expose any weaknesses, whatever those might be, and he has an endorsement from Pickett. Wilson lost his job to Jolly; if he regains it by default that's a step backward. He's OK in base playing with above average line mates such as Pickett and Raji circa 2010/2011. With the roster as currently constituted sans FAs, if Wilson regains his spot starting in base that makes him the veteran leader of the D-Line...that's not a good look for us.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
The best things we can say about Boyd is he hasn't played enough to expose any weaknesses, whatever those might be, and he has an endorsement from Pickett. Wilson lost his job to Jolly; if he regains it by default that's a step backward. He's OK in base playing with above average line mates such as Pickett and Raji circa 2010/2011. With the roster as currently constituted sans FAs, if Wilson regains his spot starting in base that makes him the veteran leader of the D-Line...that's not a good look for us.
Why must you speak such frightening visions of the future Cassandra?

H

HardRightEdge

Why must you speak such frightening visions of the future Cassandra?
Lest we not forget, Cassandra was fated by the gods to accurately predict the future and have no one listen. And if I remember correctly, she did not get any props after the fact either. ;)

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I would love it if the defensive line in next year's Super Bowl was Datone Jones, Josh Boyd and Mike Daniels all playing at a high level.

packfan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Mosely, but wouldn't mind Jeramiah Attouchu from Georgia Tech at LOLB in the first. Looks like he has great quickness and power and brings some good rush...especially if we don't get Neal back. We need some more playmakers on offense also. I would probably take the best WR or TE in round 2 and then stay put/trade up for a S in round 3.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts