The 2009 Vikings

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
The Vikings aren't just one of 7 teams in consideration. This article from the Star Tribune says developers have been actively soliciting the Vikings to come to LA:

Los Angeles stadium stirs talk in Minnesota | StarTribune.com
Did you read the article. How about this quote.
The Vikings were quick Thursday to reiterate that while they were monitoring developments in California, the team had so far rebuffed attempts from the California developers to consider moving to Los Angeles.

I would say a better team to land in LA is Jacksonville. They covered up 10,000 seats a few years ago. And this year they are expected to be blacked out for every home game. The owner is in bad health and losing money. Or for even Buffalo, they have a hard time selling out seats as well.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, so the Vikings moving to LA seems a lot more likely. It does seem more likely though that teams that have a history with blackouts are more likely to move to LA or a California team. That playoff game last year the Vikes were in though was definitely not a good look when they could barely sell enough tickets to not black out.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am very aware of the Wilfs' wealth; so why doesn't he just build his own damn stadium? They still want $700 million from the state or at least the Twin Cities area.

You're one of those Minnesota fans not paying attention to what the Vikings are saying: New stadium or move or sale to someome who will move the franchise.

California just took a major step yesterday toward building a new stadium and plan to pursue 7 clubs as possible LA teams. The Vikings are on - and at the top - of that list.
That would be called a ploy. Do you think they would say we would like a stadium but if we can't get one it is ok? You are so naive to the way things work. There isn't a politition in the state that would be re-elected if they allowed that to happen. They just pushed 2 new stadiums in the past few years so do you really think they will let the vikings out of town? you are dreaming. Something will get done. maybe a revamped metrodome. or a new stadium with retractable roof.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, so the Vikings moving to LA seems a lot more likely. It does seem more likely though that teams that have a history with blackouts are more likely to move to LA or a California team. That playoff game last year the Vikes were in though was definitely not a good look when they could barely sell enough tickets to not black out.
Yeah ok we are all worried! You crack me up with all the talk when it is a natural for california to go after a team that is in pursueing a new stadium, duh what would you expect?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are the vikings the "favorite" team to go to L.A.? NO.
Is it a possibility? Yes.

That would be NEVER a possibility with the Packers. And we're the smallest market of any franchise in U.S. sports.

The solely fact that they have been considered for relocation is a matter to be ashamed, IMO.

And Skol Guy, it's not just the fact that you're pursuing a new stadium, and that the politicians have already denied any government budget for it. It's also the fact that last season you were in a crucial playoff game, at home, and couldn't sell it out. Favre retires this or the next year, and then what? What will generate the income? Peterson? Because he hasn't so far...

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you read the article. How about this quote.

Yes, I did RTFA. The question is, did you read what I wrote?

I didn't say the Vikings have entertained offers with open arms. I said developers from LA are actively soliciting the Vikings. This tells me that the Vikings aren't just merely one of 7 teams being considered, but are quite possibly the front runners for a move. From the sound of the article, it seems that the city of LA feels like their best shot at a team is the Vikings.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are the vikings the "favorite" team to go to L.A.? NO.
Is it a possibility? Yes.

That would be NEVER a possibility with the Packers. And we're the smallest market of any franchise in U.S. sports.

The solely fact that they have been considered for relocation is a matter to be ashamed, IMO.

And Skol Guy, it's not just the fact that you're pursuing a new stadium, and that the politicians have already denied any government budget for it. It's also the fact that last season you were in a crucial playoff game, at home, and couldn't sell it out. Favre retires this or the next year, and then what? What will generate the income? Peterson? Because he hasn't so far...
yeah the twins and gophers got no digs but were telling the vikings to get bent and move to LA, You guys read an article and now you guys are in the Know. Wow have you read the latest tabloids about the martions takeing over the goverment? I saw it in print so it has to be true

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah the twins and gophers got no digs but were telling the vikings to get bent and move to LA, You guys read an article and now you guys are in the Know. Wow have you read the latest tabloids about the martions takeing over the goverment? I saw it in print so it has to be true

So you're saying your local news paper is nothing more than a tabloid?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I like this part

"They've never said that they will leave," said Roy Terwilliger, who chairs the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission, which owns the Metrodome. "I take them at their word."

Didnt Ziggy say last year I have no interest in Brett Favre...And this guy is going to take them for their word?

Before Skol guy gets his diaper in a ***..

I am not saying they are moving,not saying they are staying, just saying Ziggy has proven to tell untruths in past, why start to believe him now??

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok they are haveing a fire sale at winter park, trying to get rid of abunch of equipment so they have less to put in the van lines to LA. Its over the Vikings are gone. I guess i will have to be a packer fan from here on out. Now he has to get the approval of all the owners and it is a done deal. That is why he just spent millions of dollars at winter park so the vikings could move. God you guys know all about the vikings and i am left in the dark. Thanks for showing me the light. I am on my way to get my Aaron Rodgers jersey today and my block of cheese. Go Pack Go!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Skol Guy, sarcasm won't make the statements less true, and won't make the fact that your team can't sell out stadiums, and that is currently being neglected a new stadium go away...

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Skol Guy, sarcasm won't make the statements less true, and won't make the fact that your team can't sell out stadiums, and that is currently being neglected a new stadium go away...
Yeah we haven't had a blackout it so many years but your right the metrodome is so quiet you can hear a pin drop. Keep yapping it up yap boy, Don't you think a california group would pursue a team looking for a stadium? doesn't that make sense? Ofcoarse Ziggy is going to use that as leverage. It will work and I assure you With Old man river under center there will be no blackouts this year yap boy!

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like this part

Didnt Ziggy say last year I have no interest in Brett Favre...And this guy is going to take them for their word?

Before Skol guy gets his diaper in a ***..

I am not saying they are moving,not saying they are staying, just saying Ziggy has proven to tell untruths in past, why start to believe him now??

I wonder if Wilf hails from Minnesota? If so, I would take him at his word, because most guys that grow up in the Midwest have serious ties that bind.

If he's merely your typical money-grubber from New York, then he probably really has little affinity for the folks of Minnesota, so taking him at his word would be naive and foolish.

However, it really should come down to basic math. Somebody has to outline the cost to the city and state versus the return on investment for the city and state. Rarely, does one ever find these for stadium funding, or they certainly aren't covered by the drive-by media. It ain't rocket science.

And, add to the fact that as soon as cities let teams "go", within 10 years they're clamoring like fools to get another team back into the mix. Take Green Bay now - it's an ok city, but certainly not overly nice and has an increasing number of "suspect" characters inhabiting the city (at least from what I have discovered from attending games annually over the last 20 years). Imagine if the the Packers went under? Hotels? Taverns? Restaurants? Real estate? It would all tank and Green Bay would be the next Racine. So, sometimes spending some money isn't a bad idea in the long run.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The first owner that that the vikings have ever had that would spend money as Red was always 30 million under the cap. WE have had cheap owners in Minnesota since max Winter brought the franchise here in 62'. Ziggi opens the vault for this team so he deserves to get a stadium and will. He will devolop the area and will make a boat load of money but that is the way it works.

own3dhs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What would be funny is Favre retires and the Vikes move into that new 75,000 seat stadium California is building. :viksux:

i would love for them to move to CA. That way, I can at least go to ONE packer's game a year :)

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah we haven't had a blackout it so many years but your right the metrodome is so quiet you can hear a pin drop. Keep yapping it up yap boy, Don't you think a california group would pursue a team looking for a stadium? doesn't that make sense? Ofcoarse Ziggy is going to use that as leverage. It will work and I assure you With Old man river under center there will be no blackouts this year yap boy!

Yes, and the Vikings are such a team looking for a stadium, which is why they're in the conversation to begin with. Just because you don't like the idea doesn't make it any less possible or probable.

The lease on the Metrodome runs out in 2011 IIRC. That means the Vikings either need to renew for the longer term, have a new stadium project or renovation plan in the works or relocate. And all of these have to happen relatively soon.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if Wilf hails from Minnesota? If so, I would take him at his word, because most guys that grow up in the Midwest have serious ties that bind.

He doesn't. Born in Germany then immigrated with his family to New Jersey.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i would love for them to move to CA. That way, I can at least go to ONE packer's game a year :)

Living in So Cal myself, I feel the same way. Unfortunately they would probably switch divisions with the Rams should they move to CA.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, and the Vikings are such a team looking for a stadium, which is why they're in the conversation to begin with. Just because you don't like the idea doesn't make it any less possible or probable.

The lease on the Metrodome runs out in 2011 IIRC. That means the Vikings either need to renew for the longer term, have a new stadium project or renovation plan in the works or relocate. And all of these have to happen relatively soon.
you read one article and you got the whole spin, ok gotcha. Don't you think plans are under way with metropolitn sports commission. Numerous sites have been looked at as well renovateing the metrodome. Yeah that would be one way for not to lose to us so keep talking we all know you have all the info

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to what Lester Bagley, the Vikings vice president and point man on the new stadium issue, has said repeatedly is that nothing's happening on getting the Vikings' stadium issue resolved.

Don't confuse their architect's rendering of an idealized stadium as the same thing as funding plans or agreements or even site location.

There's a reason the Vikings told the Metropolitan Sport Commission a couple weeks ago that they will not renew their Metrodome lease after 2011.

They and the league are moving into hardball mode after trying the "nice" approach for 10 years. But if they keep getting the runaround or are told no these guys will move the franchise to the nation's second largest sports market without hesitation.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to what Lester Bagley, the Vikings vice president and point man on the new stadium issue, has said repeatedly is that nothing's happening on getting the Vikings' stadium issue resolved.

Don't confuse their architect's rendering of an idealized stadium as the same thing as funding plans or agreements or even site location.

There's a reason the Vikings told the Metropolitan Sport Commission a couple weeks ago that they will not renew their Metrodome lease after 2011.

They and the league are moving into hardball mode after trying the "nice" approach for 10 years. But if they keep getting the runaround or are told no these guys will move the franchise to the nation's second largest sports market without hesitation.

Complete agree.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Toronto is also looking for a team but now talks of open air stadium is in the works here in minnesota which will lower price by 250 million. I think they will play at TCF stadium(U of M) for a year until stadium is done is my guess after 2011. Ziggi won't sell the team so the LA people want to own the team which will be a snag. Oakland or san Diego is my bet who ends up in LA. LA couldn't or wouldn't support the Rams or Raiders when they had them in the past so what makes you think they could support them now? The state of California is in debt so we will have to see if this happens.

Members online

Latest posts