The 2009 Vikings

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ive been watching interviews that Brett Favre has been quoted saying that this vikings team is the best team he has ever played on. Im eager to compare this years vikes to any of the previous Packers teams rosters.

First off, I would like to know where Berrian, Harvin and Rice compare to WR's like Freeman, Brooks, Sharpe (for a short period of time) and Driver or even the short lived Beebe along with TE's Chmura and that awsome OLine which included Frank Winters. How about the D, players like The Rev, Butler, Robinson, Sharper. Im not bashing or talking smack.

I would like some input as to whether or not people feel the same way as Brett does, that this Years Vikes team is better then any of the Packs rosters for any of the 16 seasons.

jrpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ive been watching interviews that Brett Favre has been quoted saying that this vikings team is the best team he has ever played on. Im eager to compare this years vikes to any of the previous Packers teams rosters.

First off, I would like to know where Berrian, Harvin and Rice compare to WR's like Freeman, Brooks, Sharpe (for a short period of time) and Driver or even the short lived Beebe along with TE's Chmura and that awsome OLine which included Frank Winters. How about the D, players like The Rev, Butler, Robinson, Sharper. Im not bashing or talking smack.

I would like some input as to whether or not people feel the same way as Brett does, that this Years Vikes team is better then any of the Packs rosters for any of the 16 seasons.

Even if it were true, which I couldn't say without proof to back it up, I think it was very unclassy for him to say that. I think it's okay for him to say the Vikes have a great team, but by saying they are the best he's ever played with, he kind of flips the bird to all the great teammates he's played with at GB.

OP
OP
A12ROD903

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
“Physically and from a talent level,” Favre said, “this is the best team I’ve ever been on. I’ve said this from Day 1. … To me, how our chemistry continues to come together is the most important thing. That goes from play calling to who runs this route better and what play-action comes from one play to the next. Just kind of getting into what you hear [called] ‘The Zone,’ if you will.”

Another one by Seifert on ESPN

jrpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
“Physically and from a talent level,” Favre said, “this is the best team I’ve ever been on. I’ve said this from Day 1. … To me, how our chemistry continues to come together is the most important thing. That goes from play calling to who runs this route better and what play-action comes from one play to the next. Just kind of getting into what you hear [called] ‘The Zone,’ if you will.”

Another one by Seifert on ESPN

Good article. However, sometimes I don't think that Favre thinks before he opens his mouth. He doesn't seem to worry about how his words or his actions are going to affect other people, which sometimes is a good thing and sometimes not. For instance, he shouldn't have made the comments that led to the Jets being fined.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if it were true, which I couldn't say without proof to back it up, I think it was very unclassy for him to say that. I think it's okay for him to say the Vikes have a great team, but by saying they are the best he's ever played with, he kind of flips the bird to all the great teammates he's played with at GB.

Unclassy is putting it politely. Personally, I think the guy's a complete *******. This snippet from an article on ESPN.com pretty much sums it up:

Q: I am 19 years old. I have been a fan of Favre and the Packers since the third grade. I grew up thinking Favre could do no wrong. As a mature 17-year-old, I cried the day he retired from the Packers. I was tolerant of the Jets experiment -- even have the jersey to prove it. But what am I supposed to do now? Tonight I watched my childhood hero stomp all over the team and the fans he represented for 16 years. I found myself cursing him for the very same reasons I used to love him. The phony TD celebrations, the smug smiles, the way he hams it up with his new teammates and his new fans. I don't know how to handle it. I started this e-mail thinking I had something to say about all of this, but I just feel lost. I don't know what to think anymore ... I'm just lost.
--Drew, Bloomington, Ind.

SG: And that's the part of Monday's game that got lost. Every Packers fan felt like how a dutiful wife would feel if she stuck with her husband through thick and thin, watched him become a success, then got dumped for a younger trophy wife who also happened to be her archnemesis. Favre failed in the same way Roger Clemens failed when he signed with the Blue Jays in 1997 -- his problems with management affected his feelings toward his old franchise, and he did a ****-poor job of letting his old fan base know that he still cared about it. I have written about this before, but I turned on Clemens during his Toronto news conference when he simply refused to acknowledge Boston fans beyond a few generic words. It hurt. I took it personally and decided he was an opportunistic, disloyal, dishonest scumbag from that moment on. And as it turned out, he was.

In Favre's case, his lack of empathy for Packers fans has been really alarming. I know he plays with his heart on his sleeve. I know he's a "kid out there" and "having a ball out there" and all the crap. And maybe he's not a brain surgeon, but he's smart enough to understand what he meant to Packers fans and the state of Wisconsin, which means he had to understand how it went over after he (A) signed with an NFC North team two months ago; (B) dialed up the finger-pointing and fist-pumping during Monday's Pack-Vikes game so egregiously that even his biggest fan fron Green Bay couldn't defend him; and (C) gave that self-satisfied postgame interview in which he never said anything like, "I just wanted to say hi to everyone back in Wisconsin and tell them that this was as strange for me as it probably was for you, but I want you to know that it was just one game -- a game that I wanted to win because I'm a competitor and I love my teammates, but still, none of this changes the fact that I love you guys and I always will." That's it. That's all he had to say to Michele Tafoya after the game.

He didn't say it.

And believe me, I've been there as a fan. It's unforgivable. Especially when you're under 30 and don't realize that many of your "heroes" are people who don't deserve that level of worship, or any worship, for that matter. They just play sports well. They don't care about you. They care about themselves and that's it. If this realization hits you at the wrong time in your life, it can be hard. (I know it was hard for me. I took the Clemens thing personally, as witnessed by the fact that I once wrote a column wondering if he was the Antichrist.) So if the Packers fans want to play along, so to speak, then they can't cheer Favre on Nov. 1. He set the stakes. He made it clear that he's moved on with his new team and cut all ties to the old one. That means you need to go to Lambeau and boo the living hell out of him. Make him miserable. Rattle him. Flummox him. Do everything you can to get the better of him for three hours. This man does not belong to you anymore, and maybe, he never did.

Bill Simmons NFL power poll and Week 4 picks - ESPN

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has played more games on the field then any packer so try and get him rattled, he is liable to light you up for 5 TD's which would be poetic justice!LOL

jrpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was a great read. Everyone knows that "It's just business" and "It's only a game" and "Favre didn't "belong" to GB", but time after time Brett has to make it so clear that even a moron could understand that he has absolutely no feelings or caring for the fans that thought he was a God. He could still be drunk and uncoachable in Atlanta. At least the Jets and the Vikes have no illusions. It's just business.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh you are hilarious, a great story line for his introduction speech in canton. I can hear him already saying thanks to the packers for saving his soul as he was on skid row in Atlanta

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre has repeatedly said that whatever team he happens to be on at the time is the best he's ever been on.

There's no comparison between this year's Queens and the '96 Packers Super Bowl team. The only Packers team this year's Minnesota club could win against would be the ones in 1999, 2005, 2006, maybe 1992 from the Favre era in Green Bay.

While Bratt has lifted his new team to a couple of wins they otherwise wouldnt have let's remember who they've been playing (Browns, Lions, Rams) and that they've had their 3 strongest opponents all in the Metrodome.

They're just 2 plays from losing to the 49ers and Ravens and a handful from flipping the Packers game.

If Favre says this is the best he's just sucking up to those he's milking and manipulating now.

jrpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well at least if nothing else did it, that comment alone got more people to see him as the *** that he is. After he finally retires and leaves the Vikes, maybe he'll get them fined for something like he did the Jets.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre will be lightening the Wilfs' purse by some $12 million. Add that to the hefty sums owed in guarantees to Steve Hutchinson, Bernard Berrian and a couple others on a club that ranks near the bottom in revenue generation and good luck paying for that $900 million new stadium to keep the club in Minnesota beyond 2011.

jrpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre will be lightening the Wilfs' purse by some $12 million. Add that to the hefty sums owed in guarantees to Steve Hutchinson, Bernard Berrian and a couple others on a club that ranks near the bottom in revenue generation and good luck paying for that $900 million new stadium to keep the club in Minnesota beyond 2011.

What would be funny is Favre retires and the Vikes move into that new 75,000 seat stadium California is building. :viksux:

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
What current packer has played more games than brett favre on the field at lambeau? I'll give you a clue his name starts with "No" and ends with "body" so try and rattle him I doubt it works:happy0005:
Norman Peebody?

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well at least if nothing else did it, that comment alone got more people to see him as the *** that he is. After he finally retires and leaves the Vikes, maybe he'll get them fined for something like he did the Jets.
Do you want some cheese with that whine you born again cheesehead? Do you wear virtual kneepads to make new friends on here?:happy0005:

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What would be funny is Favre retires and the Vikes move into that new 75,000 seat stadium California is building. :viksux:
Really I haven't heard anything about a new stadium. Now I am really nervous because you make so much sense. Keep dreaming:happy0005:

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Luv you longtime guy just have him freshen it up a bit, same boreing retiric is getting old. freshen it up is all I ask. I don't keep talking about J Allen molesting your QB or Brett haveing better numbers then your QB are how the pack is a 500 team and all. oops I guess i just did, my bad

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you know Ziggi is very rich he has offered to kick in 300 for a new stadium. He is in real estate devolpment and so he will see great returns on devoloping the area around the new stadium so don't you worry about the vikings will be kicking your backsides for years to come.

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe he was trying to give his current team confidence ala Phil Jackson saying things to get his team to play better?
just a thought.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe he was trying to give his current team confidence ala Phil Jackson saying things to get his team to play better?
just a thought.

A very reasonable idea. My thoughts exactly. He said it in '07 coming off of an 8-8 season when lots of younger guys were filling the roster out. It's what vets do to build chemistry & confidence when not on the field.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you know Ziggi is very rich he has offered to kick in 300 for a new stadium. He is in real estate devolpment and so he will see great returns on devoloping the area around the new stadium so don't you worry about the vikings will be kicking your backsides for years to come.

I am very aware of the Wilfs' wealth; so why doesn't he just build his own damn stadium? They still want $700 million from the state or at least the Twin Cities area.

You're one of those Minnesota fans not paying attention to what the Vikings are saying: New stadium or move or sale to someome who will move the franchise.

California just took a major step yesterday toward building a new stadium and plan to pursue 7 clubs as possible LA teams. The Vikings are on - and at the top - of that list.

Members online

Latest posts