The 2007 Green Bay Packers

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets be honest, after last night's loss there are now five, and only five games left in our season...this team has improved in several areas, but still lacks the overall strength for us to get to above .500 and press for the playoffs

QB-Brett Favre, are we going to play this game again, should we sign a veteran QB or is he going to retire...if he comes back I welcome him back but don't leave us hang until April again please

RB-Ahman Green's contract is up, I think he looks capable to play another few seasons and should be given another contract, however, we lack a short yardage back big time

WR-Donald Driver is a constant, Greg Jennings is a Donald Driver clone and could be pro bowl caliber in a year or two...but after that...do we wait for Koren Robinson to be released from 'time out'...this area needs to be addressed, and please, with a solid veteran or two (Marc Boeritger doesnt count)

TE-Bubba Franks should be let go, he can't run at all anymore, he cant separate from any linebacker, he has what 14 catches all season, Donald Lee should be given a chance for more playing time and we should draft/sign somebody for here too--lacking both a solid tight end and short yardage running option, our offense dying inside the red zone is no surprise

OL-Marc Tauscher hurt last night, there's signs of improvement, but at the same time they didn't light it up last night--hopefully the rookies continue to improve and pick up our zone block scheme--I'm all in favor of letting our three rookies continue to play together/adapt to each other--that was the strength of the Rivera/Wahle years how the same 5 guys started together for seasons on end

DL-Pro's and con's...Ryan Pickett is a legitimate force in getting against the run, and getting hands up against the pass, I like his awareness and heads up play, however he can't do it himself, Corey Williams and Cullen Jenkins do alright platoon work but we lack the Gilbert Brown/Grady Jackson type presence that a run defense needs to be successful...on the end, Kampman is steady, KGB looked good last night until the injury...

LB-This is the one unit that I like as a whole for next year, Hawk makes tackles, Barnett makes tackles, Taylor, Hodge, Poppinga can all be solid in their particular roles--but PLEASE coaches help them out when it comes to covering tight ends--a sure handed tight end would've killed us last night

CB-Al Harris' best years are behind him, Charles Woodson has looked good in all of the games I've signed him, Patrick Dendy sucks, we need to shore up our #2 and #3 corner positions if our pass defense hopes to be any better

S-Nick Collins also has to do his homework, his natural ability is amazing, but his ball skills could use some work, he whiffed on a sure pick which I believe DJ Hackett dropped in the end zone (and Kornheiser prompted that the force of Collins missing the ball caused him to drop it). Marquand Manuel had some hits last night, you could tell he played with more emotion but he still is terrible against the pass I think...we STILL lack the 'center field' type safety that we had in darren sharper, this is why, and I'm projecting us to draft around #10, I draft Laron Landry from LSU

Special Teams-Jon Ryan struggled last night, Dave Rayner is steady I think, but other than that, this unit as a whole needs to get its collective head out of its ***...punt and kick coverage was horrible last night, and get us a good return man if Greg Jennings is going to be our future I don't want him getting forced from the league T-Murph style

I just want everybody's thoughts on our offseason possibilities...free agents, draft picks, coaches, spill it

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you'll find a lot of it on posts on other threads that are currently live.

OP
OP
H

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you'll find a lot of it on posts on other threads that are currently live.

I found people:
-not getting over the bad call last night
-complaining about our run defense
-pushing for ingle martin to start next week

bzzzzt wrong

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll add my 2 cents in as well

QB - Favre needs to be brought back for 2 years. He can't linger in the off season though. He needs to commit early so GB can go on with him. If he has any doubts then he needs to retire so GB can use money on a free agent to come in and compete with Rodgers. Overall though I'd like to see Favre back for two more years. His mistakes are limited this year and he still gives GB the best chance to win. Much better than last year’s debacle.

RB - Ahman Green is an average RB now. He's at that point in his career where he might be suitable for a 3rd down back. GB needs someone younger and someone who is good with the zone scheme. I'd like to see them go out and sign Michael Turner who will be an RFA. If they have to give up a 4th then I think it's worth it. I also think in the Draft they could look at a good amount of players such as Marshawn Lynch or Mike Hart maybe in round 2 or 3.

WR - I like Driver and Jennings and I like Robinson as well. I think we'll have 3 solid targets for whoever are QB is going to be in the coming years. I think Martin is decent and still learning. Francis is average as well but probably a player that’ll jump from team to team. I'd like to see one more guy brought in but nothing to pricey because I feel good about our top 3 next year. Also release Ferguson.

TE - I don't think Favre lacks receivers. I think he lacks two solid tight ends. David Martin is ok but not that special. Lee has bad hands. Bubba Franks in my opinion to date has been Thompson's worse move with money. Franks isn't the player he once was and a blocking TE isn't worth as much as he's getting paid. Definitely a need that should be addressed in free agency.

OL - I like Mark Tauscher and I'd like to see him here for his entire career. Scott Wells is very solid. Clifton has struggled but is starting to get his groove back. He needs to remain healthy most importantly. I like the 3 young rookies. Their learning and aren't good enough to go against the best of the best yet but they are getting there. In 2 years I think they could have something real special. I still believe depth is a concern. I'd like to see some veteran guys signed as depth but no one to a big contract. I like the top 6 guys we got in terms of the future.

DL - KGB I think should be released. He's overpaid and isn't providing a consistent pass rush. GB needs to look at a DE and I think using their 1st round pick on one would be wise. Ryan Pickett has been a nice pickup. He's done well this year and the run defense was pretty good up until last night. Corey Williams should be kept. He's really coming along and might be good enough to be a situational player. I still think they need someone more consistent in the middle next to Pickett though. Kampman was worth every penny and is the best player on our Defense.

LB - Really solid. Poppinga has really grown as the year gone on. He's become a pretty good LB for us. Hawk is the real deal and is only going to get better. He's a beast. Hodge I think has the potential to be a very solid player and maybe some good trade bait in the near future. Barnett needs to be resigned and remain a Packer. I don't want to see them let him go but if they do I feel safe with Hodge but I feel really good about Barnett/Popp/Hawk trio.

DB - Woodson is overpaid but is also very talented player. He makes plays and is hardly a bust of a signing. The Cincy pre season game was a long time ago. The guy can play and I'm happy with him. Al Harris is a very solid player and deserves a raise. Letting him go would be a mistake in my opinion. GB needs a nickel back so using a 1st day pick on a CB would be wise. Also signing a free agent as well would be wise. Nick Collins needs competition for next off season. I hardly believe they should cut him but he needs to be pushed. Someone should be brought in to compete with him. Manuel should probably be release but I'd like to see him stay and compete in camp so there is someone their pushing Marvel Underwood whom I think will be the starter next year. I have a good feeling about him from the little I saw. None the less I think another safety should be brought in to compete with Underwood. So Culver, Manuel, Collins, Underwood, and 2 free agents is what I want to see next year in camp.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like what you said about every position hates but I disagree with your premise. I don't see the "several areas" that the team has improved in. Linebacker might be the only position playing better this season than last year. Brett is playing better than last season but our Qb depth is worse without Nall. Every position you list besides LB has actually played worse this year than last.

There are a few young guys that have talent but that's about it.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:twocents: I too fail to see very much improvement either offensively or defensively. The new blocking scheme has not produced the results it was hailed to bring. The defnsive secondary is either very poorly coached or needs substantial upgrades. And I also seriously doubt that another year in this system will enhance Brett's stats. Definitely need some heads-up decision making on the sidelines as well. Willing to give MM and TT next yr. but, if they don't get this team well over .500 they should be replaced. need some decent draft choices again and think it wouldn't hurt to concentrate on CB's and DL personnel. Another QB?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well theres 3 rookies on the line, give it time.

we need some Rb depth, and some DB depth, and work from there.

OP
OP
H

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RB - Ahman Green is an average RB now. He's at that point in his career where he might be suitable for a 3rd down back. GB needs someone younger and someone who is good with the zone scheme. I'd like to see them go out and sign Michael Turner who will be an RFA. If they have to give up a 4th then I think it's worth it. I also think in the Draft they could look at a good amount of players such as Marshawn Lynch or Mike Hart maybe in round 2 or 3.

Also release Ferguson.

DL - KGB I think should be released.

DB - Woodson is overpaid but is also very talented player. He makes plays and is hardly a bust of a signing. The Cincy pre season game was a long time ago. The guy can play and I'm happy with him. Al Harris is a very solid player and deserves a raise. Letting him go would be a mistake in my opinion. GB needs a nickel back so using a 1st day pick on a CB would be wise. Also signing a free agent as well would be wise. Nick Collins needs competition for next off season. I hardly believe they should cut him but he needs to be pushed. Someone should be brought in to compete with another safety should be brought in to compete with Underwood. So Culver, Manuel, Collins, Underwood, and 2 free agents is what I want to see next year in camp.

good points, i'll highlight

RB-If Ahman Green doesnt get top dollar on the market, something I can't picture, we should bring him back, still serviceable, and you said 3rd down back, I agree, and more, he's still exceptional catching the ball if used properly--As you all know I try to hype up Penn State guys and I think, as of now, Tony Hunt will be there for us at 40-ish in the 2nd round, he lacks the breakaway speed but has amazing power, maybe even projects as a fullback if he adds 10-15 pounds, also a solid blocker

Release Ferguson, where is he? pick up a solid reciever thru FA for a #3, we cant risk bringing in guys like Cory Rodgers and Will Blackmon who are projects to develop for WR depth

KGB has looked good, last year I would've said release but he is solid again--looked good last night, but we need more strenght at DE for run situations, I'd like to see Cullen Jenkins over on that side more often

Manuel should be released and we would be wise to draft a corner early in april, much like the eagles did a few years back drafting lito sheppard and sheldon brown while still having bobby taylor and troy vincent--corner is a position you can't afford to be short at--we need a nickelback asap

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are weak at safety with Marquad in there. He hits hard but is lost in pass coverage. We need better depth at RB. Desperate for a deep threat wide receiver and Ferguson should be cut. We are very young on OL but pretty talented but why didn't we pick up a veteran free agent? We had a superb draft for a change so it will take time.
BTW if you don't hear from me in a while I am having both hips replaced and will be laid up. with my luck the nurses will all be Bears fans.

rundemc

Cheesehead
Reaction score
get a TE
fire DB coach
get a nickelback
pickett and kampman are good but need to fix the other side of D-line
learn how to cover kick returns

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What TT can do (hope he does:)

ADDITIONS
1)RUNNINGBACK - draft Marshawn Lynch runningback from CAL in the 1st round. (reinvigorate the running game) Lynch has Reggie Bush speed w/an Ahman greed body.
He's VERY hard to bring down. Doesn't get caught from behind He'd fit in and already had a rapport w/Aaron Rodgers. He catches the football well and is a good pass protection blocker.

A young stud running back will stabilize the offense and allow Jennings and
Driver to do their thing.

2)WIDE RECEIVER - Invite Charles Rogers to Packers OTAs and training camp.
We should give him a shot and see if he's turned a new leaf.
IF we can give Charles Woodson a shot, we can def give Charles Rogers a shot. Imagine Rogers really taking off w/his 4.2 speed along w/Jennings and Driver. That would put the packers right into the mix. IF we can get him at veteran minimum..it's not that much a risk.

4)CORNERBACK - the young DB out of Cal who leads the country in interceptions. Daymeaon Hughes. 6 tall..4.3 speed. College Qbs won't throw his way. IF we can't get Lynch..should definitely get Hughes.

5)Draft some more mid/late round lineman for depth.
This draft is supposed to have some good lineman. IF we can rotate
more bodies in there to keep Cliffy and the others fresh..we should be fine.

I think the O-Line just needs time together and help from the backs.
A good blocking tight end in the draft would help too.

SUBTRACTIONS

1)CUt the vet TEs. They're not producing anymore
2)Reevaluate Woodson/Carroll and rest of secondary.
See if the secondary free agents out there are worth getting in comparison to them.

OP
OP
H

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What TT can do (hope he does:)

ADDITIONS
1)RUNNINGBACK - draft Marshawn Lynch runningback from CAL in the 1st round. (reinvigorate the running game) Lynch has Reggie Bush speed w/an Ahman greed body.

4)CORNERBACK - the young DB out of Cal who leads the country in interceptions. Daymeaon Hughes. 6 tall..4.3 speed. College Qbs won't throw his way. IF we can't get Lynch..should definitely get Hughes.

5)Draft some more mid/late round lineman for depth.
This draft is supposed to have some good lineman. IF we can rotate
more bodies in there to keep Cliffy and the others fresh..we should be fine.

I think the O-Line just needs time together and help from the backs.
A good blocking tight end in the draft would help too.

SUBTRACTIONS

1)CUt the vet TEs. They're not producing anymore
2)Reevaluate Woodson/Carroll and rest of secondary.
See if the secondary free agents out there are worth getting in comparison to them.

We have 4 cornerbacks on our roster, one of whom is Patrick Dendy, this is our prime area of concern--the tight end position needs to be overhauled as well--MAYBE keep david martin as a secondary recieving tight end if we keep any of our trio

I'm always against drafting backs in the first round unless they're can't miss guys, I don't know much about Lynch but I liked what I've seen thus far

Hughes from Cal is a great athlete, if we take a corner my vote is for Antoine Cason--whichever corner we take they'll have some time to ease into a starting role behind Harris and Woodson--(I STILL say that was one of the main factors behind driving ahmad caroll into obscurity)...its early yet but give me Antoine Cason from arizona...maybe we should take 2 in the first 4 rounds, the depth at that position is horrible

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Al Harris is still the man on defense

KGB is awful and needs to be replaced

Ahman Green should get less carries and Morency should get more

I want Koren Robinson back

Get some special teams coverage for God's sake

That should solve it

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe we will see what has been painful at times to watch this year in developing young players payoff next year.

If you believe that then here is what I see.

1)We need a real, snortin', man-eatin' defensive lineman. Like a few we have faced already this year. Stout against the run AND pressures the Qb from the middle. NOT A DRAFT PICK HERE.

2)We need a bonafide player at the Safety position. So good Collins can become the player he cannot with Manuel in there. NOT A DRAFT PICK HERE EITHER

3) A burner at WR and KR back in the lineup. We HAVE to be able to go four wide and have the defense respect that. Even if we don't use it a lot. A SOLID DRAFT PICK HERE COULD WORK.

4) A big, tough, one cut and go RB. Especially if Green can get more than he's worth somewhere else. I am just not convinced AG will be available and healthy. His reliability starts to be a question mark. A DRAFT PICK COULD WORK HERE(why not?) several others this year have been great.

5) A real and reliable TE with speed that causes problems for the defense. FA OR PICK

Our "0" line should be much more settled next year. They should come in ready to be better.

Likewise with our LB'rs. They should be strong for us next year.

We are fine at CB. If you watch a lot of NFL games you already know we should be more than happy with these guys. Plus, we have backups and nickel guys that can play.

Our depth will be much improved. Hopefully this carries over to better Special Teams play. We certainly miss Fergy and Blackmon there at this point.

This should put us Playoff competitive as long as BRETT FAVRE COMES BACK.

Otherwise it will take at least a year for AR to be good enough under playing conditions (if he proves he has it) to get us there.

Five upgrades that I believe would give us what it takes to carry losses like last night over to wins.

But we cannot play IMO with the Saftety and "D" line acquisitons. They need to be difference making, big time, players.

Then I think we can line up with anybody.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:twocents: Need a TE that can move and stretch the field. Martin and Lee not doing it and Franks never could. Definitely need a shut-down safety and another CB. Another Moose in the DL who penetrates. Two decent WR's, perhaps Robinson and a drafted speed merchant with good hands. think our "O" line will be good with the return of Barry and one of the new rookies coming along. From here on in play for draft position. Really can't see more then possibly two wins anyway. Might want to draft another QB as well if the opportunity presents itself.

OP
OP
H

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'd like to see marqaund manuel stay if (and only if) its not in a starting role and he's used for only running plays as an 8th man up in the box, his pass coverage is horrible but he is a solid tackler

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lynch isnt that great. Its west coast pac 10 football. i could run away from those defenses. (that oughta stir some **** up haha) i appreciate the scouting report... but drafting only players from CAL isnt gonna help the team all that much. i mean really. lay off the cal love.

A-rod is the back up and i wouldnt be that excited about drafting either one of those guys you mentioned.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be competitive next year it starts at QB. They need to get Favre back and decide early. If not a FA solid veteran is essential.

RB: Green still has gas left in tank, but would not go overboard on money. Regardless, it is time to look to the future at this position and allocate more resources than in the past several years(1-3 round pick, trade or significant young FA).

WR: Driver is getting up there and they lack quality depth behind him and Jennings. A big, physical playmaker is needed.

TE: A need, but not super high priority(3-7 round, mid level FA)

OL/DL: Depth needed on OL as well as possible replacement for Clifton in a year or two if he is not already on roster. DL big time rusher and/or big time clogger in the middle

LB: low priority, resign Barnett

CB: Depth and possible replacement for Harris in a year or two.

Draft in order of need/impact
RB
DL
CB
WR
QB
OL
TE
LB

Drich318

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need to address the running back position, defensive end position, and safety position. I really like evry other position on the team. OUr OL should be okay, once they get more seasoning. Miree is fine. OUr WRs are fine. If we can draft a very good RB, then we should be good. Green should come back for another season. Franks is a bum, but his cap number is pretty high, and he has been okay. PLus we have other needs to address. DE is a must. KGB is not an every down DE. And safety should be addressed, but won't be, since Manuel is TT's guy.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And safety should be addressed, but won't be, since Manuel is TT's guy.

Cory Rodgers was T.T's guy and he released him.

Arturo Freeman was a free agent pickup by T.T. and he released him.

Raymont Thomas and Matt O'Dwyer as well.

Will Whitticker was cut as well.

Being "T.T's guy" has nothing to do with it.

If Thompson can find a replacement or someone to bring in he'll do it. Besides the likely hood of Manuel holding of Marvel Underwood in training camp is slim in my opinion.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers, Freeman, Thomas, O'Dwyer, Whitticker were cut/released primarily because they didnt fit in with the team's direction or performance (or more like lack of it) in training camp.

The fact that Manuel was brought in because he fit the team's direction, the fact the he missed most of training camp and the fact that he remains a starter despite very poor performances can only be because there is no other alternative or because the team continues to see value in him.

I wouldnt be so hasty in presuming it isnt the latter.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers, Freeman, Thomas, O'Dwyer, Whitticker were cut/released primarily because they didnt fit in with the team's direction or performance (or more like lack of it) in training camp.

The fact that Manuel was brought in because he fit the team's direction, the fact the he missed most of training camp and the fact that he remains a starter despite very poor performances can only be because there is no other alternative or because the team continues to see value in him.

I wouldnt be so hasty in presuming it isnt the latter.

There is nobody else currently on the roster that is really worth a look. Culver I guess but he's not exactly a suitable replacment right now. If we're talking free agents right now then who is out there. Not much at all.

So Manuel really got the job by default especially when Underwood went down. Thompson and the Packers felt confident that he was the right guy for the job. So far he's been a major dissapointment and hasn't been a good fit.

Rodgers wasn't cut because he wasn't a fit either. He was cut because he couldn't get the job done. Same with Arturo Freeman of last year and Raymont Thompson from last year. Whitticker is really the only guy let go because he wasn't a fit for the zone blocking scheme.

Manuel is playing to poorly to stick around. If anything he'll remain through camp but I would assume their is competition for him. The myth that Ted Thompson won't part ways with "his guys" is just that. A myth...

Members online

Latest posts