That was a good game against the Lions, but...

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the D keeps giving up those garbage points it could get them in trouble some week, especially in the playoffs.

Also, I think we should have gone for it on the 4th down where Crosby got the 20 yard FG. If we were playing the Pats we would have to go for the kill. I think that's a mentality we need: go for the kill.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we should have gone for it on the 4th down where Crosby got the 20 yard FG.

I have to respectfully disagree. You have 2 options... Go for the kill and end the game, the possible downside which you don't make it and give the Lions the ball in a 1 possession game. Or kick the field goal, which was only 20 yards (about as long as an extra point) and kickers make the extra point 99.9% of the time, the rare possible downside that with under 2:00 left in the game, the lions would have to score a touchdown, and get the 2 pointer, then get an onside kick then score a field goal just to tie it. I think McCarthy made the right call.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've proud of our win today, but we've let too many teams back in the game in the late 3rd and 4th quarter. Yeah, Kitna was only 19 for 40, but quite a few of those were for easy first downs. It was encouraging to only allow them to get field goals those first few drives. It looks like we get complacent with any kind of lead and the D is prone to giving up big drives late in the game. But, like they say, a win is a win and I'll take it. 10-1!

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've proud of our win today, but we've let too many teams back in the game in the late 3rd and 4th quarter. Yeah, Kitna was only 19 for 40, but quite a few of those were for easy first downs. It was encouraging to only allow them to get field goals those first few drives. It looks like we get complacent with any kind of lead and the D is prone to giving up big drives late in the game. But, like they say, a win is a win and I'll take it. 10-1!

The only way teams are getting back into the game is because of stupid penalties on our part, like pass interfearance in the end zone. McCarthy needs to crack down on our guys about costly penalties like that.

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the main reason why they came back is because McCarthy really rested our guys in the 4th. Did you guys notice that Kampman barely played...same with Rouse...he was actually sitting on the sideline for quite a lot of the 4th. Add that in with Woodson and KGB being out, our secondary and pass rush were severely limited. McCarthy was just being overly cautious with our main guys. I obviously didn't like the game being that close, but our D wasn't at full strength.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We came out like it was the 5th quarter of last week, we were lucky the Lion's were only able to get FG's or this game would have been 14-0 early. And we looked to do the same thing at the end of this game again. Starting in the 4th quarter, they were making 1-10 2nd - 10 tosses without a problem. I think you are right nathaniel, they do seem to get complacent and give up too much. Then again I am not out there running my butt off for 3 quarters so it's easy to say from here too.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nathaniel said:

We came out like it was the 5th quarter of last week, we were lucky the Lion's were only able to get FG's or this game would have been 14-0 early. And we looked to do the same thing at the end of this game again. Starting in the 4th quarter, they were making 1-10 2nd - 10 tosses without a problem. I think you are right nathaniel, they do seem to get complacent and give up too much. Then again I am not out there running my butt off for 3 quarters so it's easy to say from here too.

Yeah, Kampman and a few others were being rested, which I'm all for. We need them healthy. I'm not at all saying they should still be in perfect condition in the 4th quarter. Haha! It's a long game. The penalties were a big problem. I guess the biggest thing is that I'm tired of sitting on the edge of my seat during the 4th quarter! Haha! I'd like to be lying back and relaxing at the end of a game for once! Haha! But, Our guys did a great job today. I'm still having a hard time hearing 10-1. It sounds so good, but my brain doesn't want to register it! Haha!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
nathaniel said:

2 weeks in a row and it "seemed" the D got sloppy at the end..either its they are complacent or just tired???? or little bit of both...

need to get that fixed

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they let their guard down, thinking they had the game in hand. I heard MM said he should have not gone to the run near the end, but kept doing what was working, the passing.
If we do that against a GOOD team, we could end up losing. Hopefully they will get it fixed.
But hey..........10-1!~!!!
We have already won 2 more games then all of last year, and i bet already have a playoff spot sewn up. (I don't have conformation on that, but at 10 wins i can't see how we wouldn't)

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they let their guard down, thinking they had the game in hand. I heard MM said he should have not gone to the run near the end, but kept doing what was working, the passing.
If we do that against a GOOD team, we could end up losing. Hopefully they will get it fixed.
But hey..........10-1!~!!!
We have already won 2 more games then all of last year, and i bet already have a playoff spot sewn up. (I don't have conformation on that, but at 10 wins i can't see how we wouldn't)

When is the earliest we can wrap up the division?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
technically your right alan..Gb would need to lose out and go 10-6 Detroit would need to win out to go 11-5, even then wild card might be possible..

but to more honest, one win and a lion loss= playoff game

3 wins for Gb= 1st round bye

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
technically your right alan..Gb would need to lose out and go 10-6 Detroit would need to win out to go 11-5, even then wild card might be possible..

but to more honest, one win and a lion loss= playoff game

3 wins for Gb= 1st round bye
Yup Jim! And other then the Dallas game, none of the remaining ones should be much trouble. (If the Packers remember to not take anyone lightly!)
Dallas is kicking butt tonight.........so looks like 2 10-1 teams go at it next week.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the D keeps giving up those garbage points it could get them in trouble some week, especially in the playoffs.

Also, I think we should have gone for it on the 4th down where Crosby got the 20 yard FG. If we were playing the Pats we would have to go for the kill. I think that's a mentality we need: go for the kill.

But going for the field goal WAS the kill, as CM has already noted. That was clearly the best choice.

I don't think the Packers got complacent at the end, they were just undermanned. If KGB was in there, they would've gotten at least one more sack, and if Woodson was in there, the coverage would have been much better, resulting in more incompletions and maybe an interception. If these guys can get healthy for next week, the defense will be fine.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

But going for the field goal WAS the kill, as CM has already noted. That was clearly the best choice.

Oh my brother! Testify! :D

OP
OP
R

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I don't think the Packers got complacent at the end, they were just undermanned. If KGB was in there, they would've gotten at least one more sack, and if Woodson was in there, the coverage would have been much better, resulting in more incompletions and maybe an interception. If these guys can get healthy for next week, the defense will be fine.

Even if they can't get healthy the back-ups need to play lights out. I was impressed by Tramon Williams' play. He was involved in a number of plays today.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Even if they can't get healthy the back-ups need to play lights out. I was impressed by Tramon Williams' play. He was involved in a number of plays today.

Yeah, Tramon made a couple of really nice plays, and didn't give up any big ones, as far as I can remember. Bush played pretty well too. But if Woodson can't go, the backups will be targeted and it could be a long day. We need either Rouse or Collins as well, or the Cowboys could kill us over the middle with Whitten and their RB's.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts