Thanksgiving 1962

D

Dan115

How many people remember that massacre? I watched the game in Kellogg, Minn. I was in shock. Who were these guys wearing Packer uniforms? The 62 team had by far the BEST offense and defense in THE NFL. It was 23-0 at half and it felt like 50--0. The Packers got their heads handed to them.

I just sat there and watched. Didn't say anything. On that day I think the lions could have beaten any team.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I was 4 ... but ... I laid my sweaty little mitts on a copy of that game a few years back, I think from a buddy who was working an internship at Channel 2 in Green Bay - I'm not 100% sure ... knowing what was at stake at the time, that was sort of like watching Super Bowl 32 (I recorded over my 'tape' the next day)...I warned my son...don't watch THAT game son, it'll only break your heart -- but did he listen??? NOoooo-OOOO--oooo ... he then told me after watching that travesty that dear ol' Dad was right...

Same goes for that '62 Thanksgiving Day game. I've read a couple of different stories pertaining to that game and the number of time Starr was sacked and I didn't count... 11 or 9. Either way, as I recall from watching that recording...the ***** turned the ball over 4 or 5 times that day and still won by 2 scores. In any event, it was an *** kicking doled out on an EPIC level. Some of the old timer Lions have been flapping their gums saying that THEY had a score to settle for a loss earlier in the season that they felt they SHOULD have won, but...as I recall, it almost appeared that the Packers' O-line "opened the gates" on Starr that day. If it were anyone but Bart Starr, I would have thought that the QB pissed off the O-line during the week and they just turned sideways for the Lions D-line. THAT'S how hideous that was....

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I wasn't even born yet LOL

I have read that after that game Lombardi said something about knowing he was going to eventually lose a game that season. It happens, it can happen. We'll be hearing about this for the next 24 hours, and how this can be a repeat of it. If we do lose a game, I don't want it to be this one.

OP
OP
D

Dan115

In 62 there wasn't in talk about going 14-0. Everyone WAS talking about another championship.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
In 1962 I was just a wee little greenandgold just figuring out what this game called football was all about.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I remember watching in disbelief, almost in shock. It was as if the natural order of the universe had been disrupted. The Packers OL was being manhandled. And it wouldn't stop! What the hell was going on out there?! Order was restored the next game but that was a real shock.

(Unfortunately one year to the day later I (and most of the world) found out what a real shock was.)

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would sure hate to be a Packers player hearing Lombardi chewing us all out and ranting and raving after that one!

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was 4 ... but ... I laid my sweaty little mitts on a copy of that game a few years back, I think from a buddy who was working an internship at Channel 2 in Green Bay - I'm not 100% sure ... knowing what was at stake at the time, that was sort of like watching Super Bowl 32 (I recorded over my 'tape' the next day)...I warned my son...don't watch THAT game son, it'll only break your heart -- but did he listen??? NOoooo-OOOO--oooo ... he then told me after watching that travesty that dear ol' Dad was right...

Same goes for that '62 Thanksgiving Day game. I've read a couple of different stories pertaining to that game and the number of time Starr was sacked and I didn't count... 11 or 9. Either way, as I recall from watching that recording...the ***** turned the ball over 4 or 5 times that day and still won by 2 scores. In any event, it was an *** kicking doled out on an EPIC level. Some of the old timer Lions have been flapping their gums saying that THEY had a score to settle for a loss earlier in the season that they felt they SHOULD have won, but...as I recall, it almost appeared that the Packers' O-line "opened the gates" on Starr that day. If it were anyone but Bart Starr, I would have thought that the QB pissed off the O-line during the week and they just turned sideways for the Lions D-line. THAT'S how hideous that was....

It wasn't unitl the 1982 that official statistics of QB sacks was added to official
Statistics of the NFL. Therefore before 1982 , all QB sack statistics are unofficial. There fore there could have been either 9 or 11 sacks of QB Bart Starr in 1962 Packer/Lions Thanksgiving game in Detroit .

The Green Bay Press-Gazette records show there were 9 sacks of Bart Starr for loss of 93 yards and 5 turn overs by the Packers. Detroit Lions posted on Wilipedia that Lions sacked Packer QB Bart Starr 11 times.

Most of the sacks were credited to Lions great DT Roger Brown, who was 6'5' amd 300 lbs . Brown was one of the first NFL Football players that was 300 lbs or more in 1962. The Green Bay Packers OL which was Center Jim Ringo was 6'1" at 235 lbs - Guards, were Jerry Kramer 6'3" at 255 lbs and Ed Baine at 6'2" at 240 lbs. At Tackles, Forrest Gregg at 6' 3'' at 250 lbs" and Bob Skoronski 6'3" at 250 lbs.

On that Thanksgiving day, 1962 , Lion great DT Roger Brown 6'5" -300 lbs led the Lion defense which stopped The Packer offense cold.

However, The Packers finshed at 13 -1 in first place in NFL Western Conference and Lions finshed at 11-3 in 2nd place in NFL Western Conference.

On 12/30/62, The Packers went to NY City to play the NY Giants for NFL Championship. The 1962 NFL Champions Green Bay Packers 16 NY Giants 7.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts