Thanks to the replacements

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The other ref signaled touch back too so he should have gone and talked to both of them to see what they both saw. This isn't just my opinion either, your disagreeing with the former VP of officiating too. But you seem to know all about these replacement refs so I will agree with you./sarcasm

According to comments by Gerry Austin, once an official signals TD, it IS a TD. Only irrefutable evidence can overturn it and he said once it was called a TD, it was within reason for the Referee to uphold the call. He said some refs would overturn that, others wouldn't. That was on ESPN right after the game.

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sure good at making assumptions aren't you? I'm not pro union or anti union. My feelings depend on the issue. I try to avoid blanket opinions on most things

You sure were in the NFLRA's pocket on this one. I can see blame for both sides. For some reason you're blind to any blame the officials bear.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This entire topic is an invitation to debate from Green Blood, who clearly has an axe to grind with unions generally. No thanks.

I don't feel the need to thank a collection of officials that jumped at a major promotion, an opportunity to audition for bigger and better things, and a significant bump in salary. Good for them.

They took a win away from us.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I don't really blame THEM. They did the best they could. There have been missed or bad calls in tons of games. There also will be *****ing about the real refs too at times.......there always is.

But, this remains my favorite gem from the first 3 weeks of the season.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You've got to be my lost sister or something because I've been laughing my @55 off at that one since I first saw it.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
You've got to be my lost sister or something because I've been laughing my @55 off at that one since I first saw it.

Highlight of the year material.

I wish more like you and me would appreciate the hidden beauty of it.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your post speaks loudly to the kind of person you are.

I understand frustration with a bad call. But the person responsible for that is one Lance Easley. To throw the rest of them in the same category is unjust to those who did well.

I AM a true Packer fan and I'll stand by my original post. These are people just like anyone else and I'm once again going to thank them for doing their best.

David Fleming of ESPN wrote a great sentence on the all the miscues of the first three weeks:

In fact, I can sum up all of the replacement refs' so-called major gaffes in one simple sentence:

During the Twitterpalooza that went on Monday night and well into Tuesday morning after the Fail Mary in Seattle where now, in the new pro-wrasslin’-meets-Arena League version of the NFL, you are awarded a touchdown if someone else catches the ball then lands on top of you (known now as a Golden Tate touchbackdown; look it up if you want), one of the last things I tweeted was: as the greatest benefactor of all this amateurish refereeing (which is quite a turnaround from Super Bowl XLIII, I know) Seattle owner Paul Allen really should be the one to break ranks with the owners and demand that the league bring back the real refs (hell, dude, just cut the check yourself), because this whole mess, and by that I mean calls being challenged and overturned at the stunning rate of 80 percent (17-of-21 in Week 3 alone) started the same place we all hope it ends: with the Seahawks, in Week 1 when Pete Carroll was twice given a third timeout on a potential game-winning drive late in the fourth quarter of what ended up being a 20-16 win by the Cards who, thankfully, stopped the Seahawks on fourth-and-4 at the Arizona 4, preventing the first real game-changing disaster by faux refs only to have it be quickly one-upped (or is it one-downed?) by rent-a-penguins in SanFran who awarded Jim Harbaugh an extra timeout and an extra challenge -- yes, challenges seem to be quite challenging for these rule-challenged refs who, the next week, let Rams coach Jeff Fisher challenge an unchallenge-able play with no penalty (it’s the mustache, I swear, that thing has magical powers) — look, real refs make mistakes too, big ones, awful ones, and lots of ‘em, a few years ago Mr. Perfect and former NFLRA president Ed Hochuli cost the Chargers a win against the Broncos with a botched call on a Jay Cutler fumble, but what makes this situation so different is the way the NFL, even with its integrity leaking out like the squealing air leaving a badly punctured balloon, kept denying there was a problem, an attitude punctuated by NFL spokesmen Greg Aiello, who, god love him, actually stated early on in this mess that “officiating is never perfect” which, I’m sure, is a real comforting thought to Cowboys linebacker Sean Lee if, in fact, he’s able to remember anything prior to the disgusting crackback block he got blasted by in Week 2 by, you’ll never guess: Golden Tate -- who, somehow, did not get flagged on the play (what is it with this guy?) even though he clearly led with the crown of his helmet and was later fined $21,000, the extra grand coming, I hope, for the way Tate strutted, flexed (while Lee was still on the ground) and celebrated the extreme courage and skill it takes to hit a defenseless player who can’t see you coming, an atrocious act that got lost in the overall avalanche of awful officiating that occurred in Week 2, an ignominious list of errors that includes: one of these clowns telling Eagles RB LeSean McCoy he needed him for his fantasy team and side judge Brian Stropolo being taken off a Saints game at the last second because he was a diehard, um, Saints fan (just barely avoiding a TD call of “The super-awesome Drew Brees, who seems really cool in person down here on the field y’all, looked me right in the eye and told me his foot was in bounds, so it will be Saints touchdown, even though the play ended at the 11-yard line ... ”); an intentional grounding call in the Miami-Oakland game that was ruled an incomplete pass; the Steelers' Ike Taylor getting called for his heart being filled with pass interference even though he never actually touched the Jets' Santonio Holmes; enough unregulated scrums in the Eagles-Ravens game to make me miss the NHL; and, oh, nothing big, just 29 extra seconds run off the clock after an incomplete pass by the Bengals which was actually something of a relief considering how dreadfully long the fake refs are making these games: eight tilts have already broken the marathon benchmark of 3:30, including the Falcons-Broncos who needed 56 minutes to complete one quarter and, I’m pretty sure, just hit the 2:00 warning a few seconds ago ... but, the truth is, the NFL could not have expected any other outcome, really, when they agreed to stake the game’s integrity on refs with no pro or major college experience, guys who reportedly couldn’t cut it in the Lingerie Football League and folks like Seattle Screw architect Lance Easley, 52, a full-time banker -- I mean, just ask yourself this: if everyone other than Vince Young would not hand their investment portfolios over to a ref with no experience in banking, it doesn’t make a lot of sense that Goodell would hand the $10 billion NFL over to a banker with no experience in refereeing -- and if just a handful of players can make the jump from D-III to the NFL, there’s no way Goodell could have anticipated anything less than the catastrophe that continued in Week 3 when D-III refs in Tennessee actually spotted the ball on the wrong 44 (hey, be glad it wasn’t the 24), then tripped up Dallas wideout Kevin Ogletree after failing to realize the middle of the end zone was probably not the best place to throw a hat; comical mistakes compared to the deadly serious error that led to Oakland’s Darrius Heyward-Bey being sent to the hospital on a hit that did not receive a flag (I seem to remember some garbage about player safety this summer when, the truth is, this ref debacle makes Bountygate look like a pillow fight ... ) although, to be fair, they did catch Denver’s Joe Mays for a hit that turned Texans QB Matt Schaub into the front runner for Player of the Ear (sorry), a highlight that made me cringe on Sunday night in between watching, literally, full-blown fistfights breakout in the New England-Baltimore game right in front of officials who did nothing because, presumably, they were too busy throwing 24 penalty flags, for an NFL all-time record 13 first downs and most of them, I think, on the Patriots for defensive holding (in total, fake refs have called 18 more penalties for pass interference than last year at this time and 38 more than in 2009), an ironic twist considering Bill Belichick’s very real attempt at some seriously offensive holding himself after the game when it appeared the fake refs were going by rugby rules and awarding three points for anything that hit the goal-line net, a momentary lapse by Belichick that came with a 50-grand fine (unlike Golden Tate who was actually awarded a game-winning TD for pretty much doing the same thing, grabbing a guy by the arm from behind); afterward, though, at least Belichick did the unthinkable in our culture: he actually stood up, like a man, took responsibility for his actions and apologized (by press release, ok, but still ... ) a lesson lost on Tate who, the next night, insisted he did nothing wrong after shoving Green Bay’s Sam Shields halfway into Puget Sound before becoming the benefactor of Easley’s enormous error which NFL owners bravely responded to by, well, initially, not budging one bit in their negotiations with the real refs, of course though, put yourself in their shoes, why the hell would they when they have the greatest bargaining chip in labor negotiations history: us, the poor, violence-addicted saps who continue to respond to this outrageous disgrace -- one that might have as its legacy a lost playoff spot for the Green Bay Packers -- by, ya know, driving television ratings to new and historic highs.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't really blame THEM. They did the best they could. There have been missed or bad calls in tons of games. There also will be *****ing about the real refs too at times.......there always is.

But, this remains my favorite gem from the first 3 weeks of the season.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Not quite up to the professional standards of Jeff Triplette, who temporarily blinded Orlando Brown with a BB-weighted flag.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This entire topic is an invitation to debate from Green Blood, who clearly has an axe to grind with unions generally. No thanks.
I wasn't sure if I was on the Packers forum with a topic headline that belongs on a Bears, Vikings or even Lions board instead.

Reaction score
Ok, I'll weigh in now that I have stopped bleeding through the bandages on my wrists and have been released from the pysch ward. Yeah, I'm just as pizzed off as anyone, but we have no choice but to work harder and stay focused on winning every remaining game on the schedule. We've played three teams with damn good defenses thus far. It was an obvious ridiculous call and "no" call by replacement officials who evidently had no clue about the "initial" possession rule and were intimidated by the frenzied crowd to signal a "TD" resulting in a horrible injustice to our team. The many retired NFL player "talking heads" all pretty much predicted that eventually the inconsistent incompetence would cost someone a game and unfortunately, we were the sacrificial lambs for the league. After the dust has settled, somewhat, what still lingers with me is the actions of Pete Carroll. The ruling was made official the next day and this POS still insists that it was a "simultaneous" catch and makes statements like, "game over, we win" and "I don't care what they think ." I suppose that is exactly WHAT we expected to hear from him, but NOT in the choice of wording he used. I hated that puke when he was at USC and I would like to think that he didn't win any points with other coaches around the league with his taking the "low" road approach. He could learn a valuable lesson of class from MM! And then I see that Tate said he didn't realize that he pushed off and that he was not a "cheater!" Deliberately pushing a defender to the ground in hope of getting away with it and placing a finger or hand on not even 1/8 of the football in hope of being awarded a TD in my opinion, IS the definition of a "cheater." Well, what goes around comes around and I will thoroughly enjoy watching Harbaugh "punk" Carroll twice this year. But as for us, lets stay angry and hungry and run the damn table! Just my opinion.......fire away! I'm done!

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The replacement ref who made the TD call actually tried out to be a Division 1 college ref and didn't make the cut. He was then rewarded with an NFL job which he was woefully underqualified. Regardless of your views (Union; Anti-Union; Liberal; Conservative), the decision to play the season with underqualified refs was WRONG. Just in the Packers/Seahawks along, the refs changed the outcome of the game with numerous bad fourth quarter penalties (Walden's "roughing the passer"; Shields' "pass interference), called an INT a TD and allowed Greg Jennings to take helmet-to-helmet cheap shot twenty yards away from the ball then had the audacity to call off-setting penalties.

The replacement refs were so good that they were fired within 48 hours of the Packers/Seahawks game. Goodell: "The NFL agrees with the call made by the ref... On that note, you're all fired."

I give the replacement refs credit for changing the outcome of an NFL season within the first three weeks of the year.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The replacement ref who made the TD call actually tried out to be a Division 1 college ref and didn't make the cut. He was then rewarded with an NFL job which he was woefully underqualified. Regardless of your views (Union; Anti-Union; Liberal; Conservative), the decision to play the season with underqualified refs was WRONG. Just in the Packers/Seahawks along, the refs changed the outcome of the game with numerous bad fourth quarter penalties (Walden's "roughing the passer"; Shields' "pass interference), called an INT a TD and allowed Greg Jennings to take helmet-to-helmet cheap shot twenty yards away from the ball then had the audacity to call off-setting penalties.

The replacement refs were so good that they were fired within 48 hours of the Packers/Seahawks game. Goodell: "The NFL agrees with the call made by the ref... On that note, you're all fired."

I give the replacement refs credit for changing the outcome of an NFL season within the first three weeks of the year.

You saw the thing on the NFL hiring refs who were fired from the lingerie league right?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
How could anyone that came from the lingerie league be any good? I wouldn't be able to call jack **** if **** and *** were in my face all night long. Total distraction.
You saw the thing on the NFL hiring refs who were fired from the lingerie league right?

I heard it mentioned on Rob dibbles show the other night and someone here called me a duffass

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On that note I won't be surprised if they hired guys whose only experience was just watching MNF and the final test was, "OK. Can you raise both hands above your head while stretching your arms simultaneously?"

I am 100% sure that the location had to do with the botched call as well.
If they had been in GB, it would have been ruled an INT. Guaranteed.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On that note I won't be surprised if they hired guys whose only experience was just watching MNF and the final test was, "OK. Can you raise both hands above your head while stretching your arms simultaneously?"

I am 100% sure that the location had to do with the botched call as well.
If they had been in GB, it would have been ruled an INT. Guaranteed.

I 100% agree that the location played a huge part in it.

I wish it would have been in Dallas though against Dallas. Jerry Jones would have gone nuts and he would have himself to blame.

No way you could have brought replacement refs into Lambeau Sunday. It would have been hell.

Well... Hell would be ******** over Oakland in Oakland. They would have killed the refs on site.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The referee was 40 yards away watching the offensive backfield like he was supposed to be doing. Easley, the side judge, signalled touchdown before anyone could stop him. He jumped the gun and i'm sure the other officials were shaking their heads as well.
I am probably way off base with this but I couldn't help but think that maybe that clown was just too damn excited.
Like it had been a life long dream to call a TD in an NFL game and he saw his chance for the last second TD call.
Kinda like this guy:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/119801

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Regardless of your views (Union; Anti-Union; Liberal; Conservative), the decision to play the season with underqualified refs was WRONG.

Yet if they hadn't, the NFL likely wouldn't have gotten a single meaningful reform to make improvements for the future.

Members online

Latest posts