Texans to trade the #1 overall pick?

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Texans might trade off first pick

NFL.com wire reports

INDIANAPOLIS (Feb. 26, 2006) -- Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush might not land with the Houston Texans after all.

Texans general manager Charley Casserly said that the Texans have been talking to teams about possibly trading the first pick in the 2006 draft.

It has been widely speculated that the Heisman Trophy winning running back out of Southern California would end up with the Texans because they recently gave quarterback David Carr a three-year contract extension.

The Texans, who finished 2-14 last season, have multiple needs that might be filled with one major move.

"There's clearly players at the top of this draft that are marquee players," Casserly said. "Players that are impact players, players that are going to go to the Pro Bowl, players that are going to sell tickets. We're going to get offers for this pick. We've already had discussions with teams. I think there's value in our pick.

"Whether it's Reggie Bush, Vince Young or Matt Leinart, those three players are going to produce trade offers. We are definitely going to have some choices when it comes to draft day."

I dont think I would be willing to trade away the #1 overall pick if I had a shot at a player like Reggie Bush. This guy is gonna be a pro bowler in this league hands down. He is the best player to be drafted #1 in years in this league and I cant believe a team would pass on him. I know the Texans need more players, but they might never get a chance at a player like Reggie Bush again.

Reaction score
Just to counter your point, Bush could be a bust. He is considered small, after all. But I think trading the first pick would be a wise move for them. They aren't going to be contenders by drafting Bush, but by getting more picks and a decent body or two in return might do wonders for them.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
another idiot move in the texans short history. just do the 'smart' and 'safe' thing for once, texans!

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This story appears every year. Just change the names to keep it current.

The only team recently dumb enough to trade up for the #1 pick was Atlanta.

Don't believe any team rumors from now until the draft is over.

OP
OP
S

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see Denver trading up seeing as they have 2 first round picks, and the fact that Shannahan has a ******* for great tailbacks. Thats Denvers game.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have it on "super secret" inside information that Sherman "convinced" the Texans to draft a Punter in the second round....

"this guy is a can't miss..." said Sherman....

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
God you guys, let it go. Sherman is gone so you got your wish.

As for the trade, what do you expect the Texans to say. They're trying to pump up the value of the pick such that someone will offer the farm (a la Ditka to draft Ricky Williams) for the right to draft Bush. They probably should be trying to trade the pick as the guy they should be looking at is Ferguson, not Bush.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing to me is.....both with Bush and Leinart.......they played on the same team, so maybe if they were on their own they wouldn't have been so good. Whenever someone says "a can't miss pro bowler" i shudder. How many first rounders do we see that end up being busts? ALOT! Just check the history of NFL drafts. You'd be surprised at how many names you see and say "I wonder where they are now?" Or.....WHO the heck was THAT?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Ya know. I think having two potential #1 overall picks in a draft would turn me off if they were on the same team. I'd be concerned with what you eluded to cheesey, what if they work great together? Like PB & J. PB is 'ok' alone, Jelly is 'ok' alone, but together they are GREAT!

With that thought I'd pass on Bush and Lienhart. I think opposing defense's worried about each and that gave them both the upper hand and they took great advantage of it. I'm not saying either of them is a crap player. I think both will be good, but not great in the NFL.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rumors always come up at this time. Plus, the Texans MIGHT be just fishing to see if they get any big bites.
PB and J! LOLOLOL!!! I like the comparison! :lol:

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been saying this was going to happen ever since I knew that the Texans had the 1st overall pick. The team needs O-Line help more than anything else. David Carr can't play well when has to run around in circles in an attempt to save his own life. Well guess what? D'Brickashaw Ferguson is a great OT and would be the best fit for the Texans by far. They already have a really good young RB in Dominick Davis. They will recieve a buttload of picks for Reggie Bush, and they can move down a few spots and take the guy that they actually need.

Reggie Bush might be a bust anyway. I don't think he will be, but it's always a possibility.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I still think Sherman convinced them to take a "punter" in the 2nd round....

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lendall White is better than Reggie Bush.

Why do I say that? Size is one. And power. Reggie is fast, but going against 3-4 defense and those fast Linebackers I don't think he will fair as well as Lendall.

I think Reggie would be a lot better WR(short though) or a KR and having a part in the running game.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They do need some help on the O line but it is just not in the draft this year. Take the best player on the board and that happens to be Reggie Bush.

BACKIN-PACKIN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh hell! The Texans are bad enough not to worry too much, they'll probably have next year's first pick as well. The more draft picks, the better their chances; that is, if they know what the hell they are doing on draft day!

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gopackgo4 said:
philtration the dont really take the best on the board they just say that they take what they need

Who is their current RB? I don't know but I doubt that he is better than Bush. They need to take some of the pressure off of Carr before he gets killed.

Noisey Packer Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
gopackgo4 said:
philtration the dont really take the best on the board they just say that they take what they need

Who is their current RB? I don't know but I doubt that he is better than Bush. They need to take some of the pressure off of Carr before he gets killed.
I think your right on this one Carr looked like a CAR wreck most of the last season

Members online

Latest posts