Texans Name Sherman Offensive Coordinator

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HOUSTON (AP) -- The Houston Texans named assistant head coach Mike Sherman its new offensive coordinator and promoted Kyle Shanahan to quarterbacks coach, the team announced Wednesday.

Sherman, the former Green Bay Packers head coach, just finished his first season with the Texans. He was recently a finalist for the Arizona Cardinals' head coaching job that went to ex-Steelers assistant Ken Whisenhunt.

Sherman, the only assistant head coach in Texans' history, replaces Troy Calhoun, who took the head coaching job at Air Force.

Shanahan, the son of Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan, was the Texans' receivers coach this past season.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I thought I was gonna find this in the NFL Forum after I heard about it.

It'll be interesting to see how the Texans offense performs this season.

Kind of an odd move, interview for a HC then take a OC job? I think since no one (I'm assuming on this) would give him 4 million per year as HC he decided the best financial avenue for him to take would be the OC job.

If he were to take an HC job that paid less than 4 million a year he'd be "losing" money.

Since he takes this OC job, he gets the OC pay plus the 3.2 million from the Packers.

Guess he's laughing his butt off right now.

OP
OP
C

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I posted it here because I thought it was very interesting.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

I posted it here because I thought it was very interesting.

I'm sure you have your convictions.

I find a lot of articles interesting, however, I post them in the appriopriate section of the website :) (relax, by me posting about the 'NFL Forum' this will surely stay put... im playing them like a pawn!)

edit, apparently you and your are too difficult for me to spell, fixed

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

Too bad he got "demoted" from Assistant Head coach to O coordinator.

Like I said so much for the title in the NFL anymore.

I don't think it was a demotion at all. I believe he signed a one-year contract with the Texans and this would be a new contract for the OC position.

Can anyone find a valid source to discredit that or vice versa?

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman will receive the "difference" between the money he is making as OC for The Texans and the 3.2 million The Packers owed him.

The total will still be 3.2 million dollars for the year.

Assuming he will make more money than he did last year as O-Line coach, this should save The Packers a little money.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sherman will receive the "difference" between the money he is making as OC for The Texans and the 3.2 million The Packers owed him.

The total will still be 3.2 million dollars for the year.

Assuming he will make more money than he did last year as O-Line coach, this should save The Packers a little money.

Maybe the Texans are under paying him for this year only cuz they know the Packers have to foot most of it..But then again I think the NFL wouldnt like that idea to much..

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
Zero2Cool said:

I don't think it was a demotion at all. I believe he signed a one-year contract with the Texans and this would be a new contract for the OC position.

I was tying this thread to the one about Moss. Moss "promotion" from LB coach to Assisstant Head Coach is not as much of promotion as Sherman from Assistant Head Coach to Offensive Coordinator.

Are you beginning to understand what I meant about the many new titles in the NFL?

Strange how this thread continues in the packer Forum.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
CaliforniaCheez said:
Zero2Cool said:

I was tying this thread to the one about Moss. Moss "promotion" from LB coach to Assisstant Head Coach is not as much of promotion as Sherman from Assistant Head Coach to Offensive Coordinator.

Are you beginning to understand what I meant about the many new titles in the NFL?

Strange how this thread continues in the packer Forum.

Ahh, I get it now. Yeah, lots of new titles in the NFL.

On your last comment, I have an idea why :)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
The thread is fine where it is. Make the world a better place, unbunch the undies.

I agree, the thread is fine right where it is.

Now can we get back to the actual topic at hand?

Sherman, OC, Texans, HELLO PREDICTABLE OFFENSE.

OP
OP
C

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[quote="Zero2Cool"Sherman, OC, Texans, HELLO PREDICTABLE OFFENSE.[/quote]

It will be interesting to see if Mike Sherman has learned anything during his experiences in Green Bay with the offensive play calling.

Sherman was asking 4 mil for his HCing services so now he has an opportunity to prove himself as an OC.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Sherman, OC, Texans, HELLO PREDICTABLE OFFENSE.

It will be interesting to see if Mike Sherman has learned anything during his experiences in Green Bay with the offensive play calling.

Sherman was asking 4 mil for his HCing services so now he has an opportunity to prove himself as an OC.

I think when he took over play calling duties from Tom Rossley the Packers did a lot better on offense. I'm not sure if he handed that duty back to Rossley an we fluttered since or what really happened. I remember Sherman being kind of shady on when asked who was doing the play calling for the next game.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Florio at ProFootballTalk said his inside guy at the Cardinals said Sherman was OFFICIALLY offered the job at Arizona. Then bass-ackwards, the Bidwell idiots began to talk money. Rather than ask the agent/candidate BEFORE what the asking price is(as all other teams do) the ever-competent Bidwells bring Sherman in TWICE, then ask him to negotiate.

That pattern happens in small business where employees are making less money. In big money pro sports, the agents are asked BEFORE, so the team knows if they want to bite or not.

So after two interviews, the Bidwells find out Sherman wanted $4 mill a year. GULP! Whisenhunt would work for $2.5....so TA-DA! the cheap guy gets the job. Sherman blew it here. He should have asked for what he was making at Green Bay....$3.2 mill. He could justify that.

The Bidwells are to the NFL what Jed Clampett was to the oil industry.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless MS has suddenly changed his M.O., I think it's a poor choice. As I recall his play calling was so darned predictable here that posters were correctly calling the plays before he did. The Texans don't need that. They are slowly improving as shown by beating Jax twice last year. They need imagination used to vary their attack, not same old same old.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts