Terrell Manning: What impact will he have this year?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sold on Brad Jones that much, and know AJ Hawk has a rare adversion to creating turnovers.

Manning went thru hell last year, but he was coveted enough by Teddy that Teddy traded 3 draft picks to move up and take him in 2012.

He's beaten that wicked little parasitic illness, and now he's ready to bash heads in. I like the guy.
Odds of both of our starting ILBs staying healthy are slim (even though AJ has been that rare guy who's been durable). So I see Manning getting some looks. I expect him to steal the job when he gets in there.

http://packersinsider.com/2013/06/s...erve-linebacker-spot-for-the-packers-in-2013/

Anyone else here have high expectations for T-Man?

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he needs to come out strong and really knock some heads around the end of this month and throughout August. If he can work his way into a few sub packages and make a play or two it we might see him sneak up on either ILBs snaps. TT just doesn't drop picks like that on a guy he doesn't see true potential in.

Hard to really predict him usurping a starters spot barring an injury this early in the summer.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^Can't imagine having a job sitting at a desk looking like a reporter and reading the draft prospects of several hundred players with the same tagline at the end.

Reaction score
I know his cousin.. He mentioned something about him being sick or something but I'd have to search more on that later.

H

HardRightEdge

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...fection-weight-loss-b9943806z1-214098171.html

Is it just me, or is there something missing in this story? Like how did this condition go undiagnosed until a player-initiated trip to some emergency room? Manning's problems started from the time he "touched down". Is that for the first OTA or for training camp? Either way his issues went undiagnosed over the course of several weeks or several months.

On the one hand, I get the warrior ethos...keep it to yourself, try to stay "available", compete for a job on the bubble, and hope the problem goes away.

On the other hand, this is not like a minor sprain or strain that might be hidden or taped over...you would think crapping himself 24/7, not diving in at the training table (not eating "for days"), dropping weight at a rapid pace, showing sluggish performance not borne out by college tape and missing practice time would not go unnoticed. The guy is lying in a "bed" in the training room with no training staff on hand, like some unattended infirmary? Or are we just reenacting locker room scenes from "Rudy" here?

The story line is squirrely. And it harkens one back to the story of Jennings going outside the organization for a second opinion on what turned out to be a sports hernia requiring surgery. Or Harris being diagnosed with a cyst in his chest the size of a softball that was missed during his first team exam.

H

HardRightEdge

Manning fits the mold of the new breed of college ILBs...smaller/quicker...used to combat option offenses. Many are ex-safeties, though that does not appear to be the case with Manning. By one report he's recovered to 235 lbs. which is where the Packers want him to be. This trend is creeping into the NFL as evidenced by the smallish college ILBs in the last couple drafts who are not projected to play outside.

While I would not expect teams to persist in letting their budding franchise QBs risk life and limb (well, limb anyway) with the frequency of last season (which in the first place was as much a stop gap until they can master a full feature pro offense than a strategic shift) defenses are reactive. The Packers like quick-with-sound-fundamentals to start with...a Manning-type player fits the mold and plays into the immediate theme of "don't get embarrassed by Kaepernick again".

I'd expect him to get some snaps in week 1 and then see where it goes from there.

Latest posts