Tell us about your first nfl game

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think mine was at camp Randall actually. I barely remember anything other than it being a novelty to most in Madison.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mine was a pre-season game at County Stadium. As a young kid, I remembered thinking that "they looked much bigger on TV." It was still fun though. I don't think that I made it to Lambeau until after I graduated from college

H

HardRightEdge

It must have been around 1968-69. The old Pitt Stadium, preseason, Colts vs. Steelers, half the seats empty.

Unitas, past his prime, shredded the doormat Steelers...something like 41-7. In those days, starters actually played most of the game. The Steelers were a team that stunk consistently from their formation all the way to Chuck Noll, except for a couple years after they acquired Bobby Layne from Detroit...one of the worst franchises in the history of professional sports up until Noll. The town went nuts when they started winning, and gave the people something to cheer for as the steel mills started into decline.

In our time in Milwaukee, which was exactly the Lombardi years, the ticket situation was not much different than today. It was an expensive day out, but we had television and Ray Scott!

EDIT: Here's a lesson to you young guys on how long term memory can play tricks.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/196809290pit.htm

I correctly noted the year, place, teams and, remarkably, the score. But Unitas didn't even play. I probably recall the anticipation of seeing Unitas while forgetting the disappointment of his not playing. It was Earl Morrall, and the shredding came primarily from three pick-6's.

Could this mean Favre did not throw all those interceptions I seem to recall? :confused:

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I`d been to several pre-season games at Wembley in London, but my first "REAL" game was October 2004 at Lambeau field against the Cowboys. I spent a week in Green Bay, did the stadium tour, the hall of fame tour (twice), and think I may have bought the Packers a new player with all the money I spent in the shop. The STRANGEST thing I found was the local peoples reaction to an Englishman travelling so far to see the Packers play !! Every time I spoke, the people were really respectful and polite, and engaged me in conversation for ages....lol
I stood proudly for your national anthem, and I can remember Ahman Green scoring an 80yd running TD, and as I SCREAMED him home, a couple from Milwaukee staring open mouthed at my excitement.....lol
I also remember the celebration in the stadium as a gentleman finally getting his season ticket 40yrs after initially applying for it, and the crowd was 77,000 plus, although I don`t remember much else.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
December 9, 1979. Metropolitan stadium. Vikings against the Bills. Jim Marshall's last home game. He played one more game to get to 270. Then a record. Wind chill was about 20 or so, overcast skies. Had a wine flask under my coat filled with Seven And Seven. (for you younger ones, thats 50% Seagram's Seven and 50% 7-Up) Spent most of the game watching it on a portable TV a guy in the row ahead of us had. Got the tickets from my Frat Brothers dad who worked for the company building the Dumpty Dome. Low scoring game. Tommy Kramer was QB. Ahmad Rashad, Sammy White, Chuck Foreman. Paul Krause, Scott Studwell.

I was so freaking cold by the time the game was over I couldn't wait to get into the car and turn the heat on. Seemed colder that it was.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Last game was 2009 New Orleans at Tampa. Friends boyfriend had sky box tickets. Premier parking at the Stadium. Best thing about the game is he let me drive his Ferrari 512TR to it. Other than that I could care less about he game. The Saints killed them is all I remember. That and thinking how many beers can I have and still drive home and not wreck the car.

For those that don't know what a 512 is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_Testarossa#512_TR

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
9/26/1965. Just short of 7 years old. Baltimore Colts. I remember my Dad holding my hand and I asked who the guys in green were. We didn't have a color TV so, I didn't know, truthfully, who I was supposed to be rooting for...and don't remember much of the game. Dad told me later that it was the first game at "Lambeau Field" versus New City Stadium...but I haven't been able to verify exactly when the name changed.

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My hubby and I scalped a couple of tickets to GB vs MN in 1994. I absolutely couldn't believe that I was at Lambeau Field! I felt like I had walked into the Mecca, the Vatican of football fields, the hallowed grounds of football past! The hubby said that I was lucky to see a win that day cuz his experience was witnessing the Pack in losses against hated rivals.

Now we have season tickets. We've witnessed some great wins and some devastating losses but the atmosphere at Lambeau never gets old. Season openers, the excitement of a new season! Crisp fall days and yet still green grass at Lambeau! Snow games and bone chilling cold on those metal benches! We've been to other stadiums but nothing beats Lambeau Field!

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
December 1981 - COLD as a ****. I was 6 yrs old. We played the lions at home. We beat the crap out of them, 31 - 17 (if I remember correctly). I lost my little voice from yelling so much in that cold air. We finished the season 8-8.
Tampa bay bucs were 9 - 7 and won the division...lol. It was a blast of a time. I was hooked ever since. I remember being soooo happy about 8 - 8 season...lol...how times have changed.

I

December 9, 1979. Metropolitan stadium. Vikings against the Bills. Jim Marshall's last home game. He played one more game to get to 270. Then a record. Wind chill was about 20 or so, overcast skies. Had a wine flask under my coat filled with Seven And Seven. (for you younger ones, thats 50% Seagram's Seven and 50% 7-Up) Spent most of the game watching it on a portable TV a guy in the row ahead of us had. Got the tickets from my Frat Brothers dad who worked for the company building the Dumpty Dome. Low scoring game. Tommy Kramer was QB. Ahmad Rashad, Sammy White, Chuck Foreman. Paul Krause, Scott Studwell.

I was so freaking cold by the time the game was over I couldn't wait to get into the car and turn the heat on. Seemed colder that it was.

Having to watch the Vikings would explain the need for the alcohol.....lol :p

I

I`d been to several pre-season games at Wembley in London, but my first "REAL" game was October 2004 at Lambeau field against the Cowboys. I spent a week in Green Bay, did the stadium tour, the hall of fame tour (twice), and think I may have bought the Packers a new player with all the money I spent in the shop. The STRANGEST thing I found was the local peoples reaction to an Englishman travelling so far to see the Packers play !! Every time I spoke, the people were really respectful and polite, and engaged me in conversation for ages....lol
I stood proudly for your national anthem, and I can remember Ahman Green scoring an 80yd running TD, and as I SCREAMED him home, a couple from Milwaukee staring open mouthed at my excitement.....lol
I also remember the celebration in the stadium as a gentleman finally getting his season ticket 40yrs after initially applying for it, and the crowd was 77,000 plus, although I don`t remember much else.

I am forced by custom to tell my wife the happiest day of my life was getting married....lol :whistling:

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Monday, Dec 11 1989, After being a "Los Angeles" Rams fan since I was a kid in the days of the Fearsome Foursome and Roman Gabriel I finally went to a game. 49'ers and Rams were playing for first place in NFC West. Rams led the game for 58 min. They blew a 17 point lead in the 4th as Montana engineered one of his many 4th quarter comebacks. I have always had an intense dislike of Bay area football teams fans. It is amazing to see all the 49'er paraphernalia show up that has been absent for the last 20 years.

I

WHY oh WHY do they force us to lie to them like this??? :)
Well if she`d let me dress as Elvis, and she`d wore the lovely green and gold uniform I`d picked out for her to wear, who knows ? it might have been.......:laugh:

D

Dan115

I won a trip to Chicago while working as a newspaper boy in 1965. Went to see dabears vs vikes. I was watching the 9 er Packers score update on the score board. Sayers was a rookie. Vikes won the game. Game was at Wrigley.

I

I won a trip to Chicago while working as a newspaper boy in 1965. Went to see dabears vs vikes. I was watching the 9 er Packers score update on the score board. Sayers was a rookie. Vikes won the game. Game was at Wrigley.
Don`t worry Dan, we forgive you.....lol :D

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
1971 0r 72 in Pittsburgh. I don't remember who the Steelers were playing. My bro had season tickets and took me along. At that time in my life my hormones were raging and I remember checking out the women more than the game.

TimthePackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was at County Stadium. I found out that the Packers had 200 tickets available at the ticket window in Milwaukee but they wouldn't hold them, so I had to drive from Cedar Rapids, IA to Milwaukee with no guarantee any tickets would be left when I got there. Luck was with me and I was able to get 4 tickets so my wife and I could take her parents to see the Packers take on the Broncos. Her father was a Bronco fan. To make a long story short, the game ended in a tie and we had a wonderful time.

Members online

Latest posts