1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Tekkies and Computer guys - need your advice

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by weeds, Oct 6, 2013.

1. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +918 / 16 / -9
    Ok, so I broke down and bought a new desktop. Even though the old one was clean as a whistle and ran darned nice for a continually upgraded 10-year-old machine...there comes a time when you recognize that it's time to move on. Microsoft ending support of XP in April 2014 was my motivator. Here's the deal ... on my old system, I used Microsoft Security Essentials in conjunction with the Windows firewall. Microsoft Security Essentials is NOT compatible with Windows 8 -- with the exception of Windows Defender (the anti-malware function) and of course, the Windows firewall.

The new computer comes with a 60-day 'trial' subscription to Norton (Symnatec) and I am using it, as I do my file transfers, but will be dumping it ASAP. I have always been of the opinion that Norton is nothing short of a system hog and 'virus' in and of itself - weaving itself through your system and network like lymph node cancer.

Obviously, I'm asking about the free A.V./Malware products out there. I've done my research on them but, opinions being like a-holes, it's really tough to determine how reliable the resource is.

Can you give some opinions on which if any, free AV/AM product you might use on your system? I am computer capable/functional so it isn't necessary to dumb things down for me. I'm just looking for opinions from folks who are invariably going to be smarter than I am in this area.
  2. Poppa San

Poppa San Who me? Staff Member Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +811 / 27 / -2
    Packer Fan Since:
    I am cheap and run AVG on all my Windows based systems. I tend to stay away from "name" products as those are the ones targeted by the bad people since the payoff is larger. As such, I avoid Microsoft products as far as I can especially Outlook. I also run as many Firefox / Chrome add-ons as possible as far as security and anonymity goes.
    Since you activated Norton already, you are going to have a difficult time getting it to shut down. You may want to do a system re-install after two months and disable it from the start and replace it with your preferred AV program.
  3. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +918 / 16 / -9
    Poppa, how do the Norton removal tools work? I know it's not enough to uninstall, but I've seen "removal tools" out there. Useful or not?
  4. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +2,517 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    I never even use norton..1st thing is remove it..The tools work real well..No issues ever..But I never installed it and then try to remove it

I use avg free anti virus and avast anti virus

Also I do have spybot search and destroy loaded and rn it once every few weeks
  5. PackerFan71

PackerFan71 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +497 / 1 / -1
    I used to have Norton but it was such a dog and slowed everything down on my Computer, tried AVG its good but not for me. I use Avast which has a free version aswell as one you pay for, i would now not use any other than Avast.
  6. Smokeychedder

Smokeychedder Tailgaiter

Ratings Received:
    +258 / 16 / -7
    Packer Fan Since:
    Take a look at - Iolo Technologies .
    1 - System Mechanic
    2 - System Shield
    3 - Professional Upgrade
    4 - Automatic updates
    5 - Moderately priced

:)
  7. Poppa San

Poppa San Who me? Staff Member Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +811 / 27 / -2
    Packer Fan Since:
    When I used to pay for AV software I ran Trend Micro PC-cillin which was reasonably nimble and fairly priced.
  8. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings Received:
    +707 / 20 / -11
    Been using Norton for years. Never had a problem with it. Friend uses AVG at work. Each has pluses and minus's. Find one that works for you.
  9. 12theTruth

12theTruth Guest

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  10. lancer84

lancer84 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    Avast would be my choice for free. Personally, I just started using BitDefender, which seems to be running really good, low on CPU usage anyhow, when compared to Norton and it's very user-friendly. Like previously said, each has their positives and negatives.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +918 / 16 / -9
    Thanks for your input guys.
  12. Raptorman

Ratings Received:
    +707 / 20 / -11
    BTW, I have a windows 8 on my new laptop. HATE the dam thing. Went out and got a program to make it mimic 7. 8 is only good if you have a touch screen or pad. Seriously thinking of taking it off and putting 7 on. I have a copy of 7 for my old laptop. 8 will go down as one of the worst OS in recent history.
  13. 12theTruth

12theTruth Guest

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeh, I'm not too pleased with Windows 8 either since I have it on a laptop without a touch screen. I'll try to get used to the 'gestures' if not I think I'll go your route and get that program which mimics 7.
  14. Raptorman

Ratings Received:
    +707 / 20 / -11
    I'm using one called "classic shell". you still get the crap on the right side of the screen at time, unless of course you want it, then you can't get the dam thing to pop up. Gives you options on how to set it up.
  15. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Day Tripper

Ratings Received:
    +61 / 10 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    I use Avast Free and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Neither are very resource-intensive. Haven't had any issues with virii/malware on this machine. I used to use Avira Free, which was lightweight and effective, but the nag screen can be annoying.

To be honest, your surfing habits are probably more important than which security software you have installed. As mentioned, try to avoid using Microsoft software like Outlook and Internet Explorer. These have been notorious for their security holes in the past, and while I believe Microsoft has gotten much better about security in recent years, they will still be heavily targeted by malware authors because they are so heavily used. Thunderbird is a great Outlook alternative, and with Firefox/Chrome/Opera, you'll never miss IE.
  16. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +918 / 16 / -9
    I went with Avast Free AV and anti-malware. Put spywareblaster back on the new 'puter and activated the Windows firewall. Thanks for your input. Incidentally, Norton came off without a hitch. Last time I dumped Norton, I had to take 3 or 4 kicks at the cat before I got it all out with F-secure's Norton removal tool. This time it went bye-bye without too much of a fight.
    • Like Like x 1