Ted's way

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for the record we did sign a free agent this past off season. His name was Brad Jones. I thought Thompson was nuts when he did it but it seems to have been a good signing.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If Free Agency was so wonderful we'd be able to rattle off a list of teams so impacted by Free Agent signings leading to championships there wouldn't be a debate. But more often than not, we see busts and teams nailed by broken budgets.

Except that no one on this or any other forum subscribes to the straw man that you propose. Your Reggie White example is spot on. At that time, we, like many other teams were just a player or two away from the level needed to win a title or two. We added that one piece (white) along with a few others (dotson, beebe) and we went over the top. I don't think ANYONE proposes making a team with mostly free agents, but adding a Beebe, Dotson or White seems to have helped fill holes then and could now. For the last 10 years our running games has been poor. Lynch and Jackson are names that have come up that may have helped in the run. Adding Lacy so far has shown the value of having a rushing attack. Some would argue that it may have made a difference in years past too.

I think more people agree with his straw man...Look at Oakland, Washington..Vikings...

Lynch wasnt a free agent, only Jackson was...And how is he holding up in Atlanta??? 30 years old and has been injured...

Don Beebe before going to the Pack---
25 catches per year on average
384 yards per year on average
3 tds per year..
1st year with Pack 39 catches and 4 tds

Hardly some one that was a break out free agent..

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Just for the record we did sign a free agent this past off season. His name was Brad Jones. I thought Thompson was nuts when he did it but it seems to have been a good signing.
In the past certain posters dont consider that a fa...they think only players from "other" teams only can be a fa

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
I think more people agree with his straw man...Look at Oakland, Washington..Vikings...

Lynch wasnt a free agent, only Jackson was...And how is he holding up in Atlanta??? 30 years old and has been injured...

Don Beebe before going to the Pack---
25 catches per year on average
384 yards per year on average
3 tds per year..
1st year with Pack 39 catches and 4 tds

Hardly some one that was a break out free agent..
Exactly. Free agents don't have to be huge names or contributors, just added to the mix to fill holes and strengthen weaknesses. As far as Jackson goes, that's the typical response from TTs ardent fans. Would it be any more disingenuous for me to bring up the list of draft pics that don't work out as a fatal criticism of drafting players?

I guess I'm a crazy person here. I don't find the Packers becoming Oakland, Washington or the Vikings if next year we have 49 players on our roster that have only played in GB rather than 50.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Exactly. Free agents don't have to be huge names or contributors, just added to the mix to fill holes and strengthen weaknesses. As far as Jackson goes, that's the typical response from TTs ardent fans. Would it be any more disingenuous for me to bring up the list of draft pics that don't work out as a fatal criticism of drafting players?

I guess I'm a crazy person here. I don't find the Packers becoming Oakland, Washington or the Vikings if next year we have 49 players on our roster that have only played in GB rather than 50.

My point was that with-in the league, when rb near 30 years old they start to break down...Which is exactly what happened to Jackson (ironic it is a hammy issue)

In his past I do not think he ever missed a game

I agree that FA dont have to have huge numbers, but looking at Bebee's numbers in Buffalo, he wasnt a huge contributor, with the Pack----2 years, 41 catches and 4 tds...And one return TD....

I wonder why they thought they needed him?? You could find a player like that in the draft...And that new draft pic could have played for the Pack for 5 or more years..Not just two..

Let me make this very clear....I think he does an awesome job, but I do get pissed at him as well...

I wish he would have traded for a wr now..I wish that in the offseasons he gets a FA that actually could help....But he doesnt do that, and never will...But I did get pissed when he didnt trade for a wr....

I wish he would get a free agent o-l ....Tired of the same ole story there..

But he has his reasons and he hasnt been named GM of the year twice by his peers because he sucks...

Only a small handful thinks he sucks and that it goes back to what he did to Brett

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...Lynch wasnt a free agent, only Jackson was...And how is he holding up in Atlanta??? 30 years old and has been injured...

Draft picks get injured and young guys get injured. Take a look at our roster. We have hammy injuries and the guys aren't 30.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Even young running backs get injured. Jackson got a hamstring injury and is back playing.

You missed my entire point I had with Bus

Had to do with free agents--he brought up Jackson..One reason that Ted MAY NOT have pushed harder for Jackson is he has a lot of wear on his body...

A lot of rb near 30 years old in the NFL start to go downhill...Not everyone, but that seems to be the age people say rb start to break down...

So I was emphasizing that Jackson was hurt now and hadnt really been hurt before this year..In fact it appears he only missed 12 games in last 9 years...Last 4 years he has only missed one game

Hope that clears it up

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just think a hamstring injury is pushing it as far as that RB injury thing.

In any case we certainly are better off with Lacy.

Last edited:

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P.S., Backup QB is an area I think our front office should have been more proactive about with FA. They stuck with Graham Harrell for too long without a competent veteran on board. It's like nobody realized this was a problem until the second week of the preseason when we began scrambling for better options...

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if Steven Jackson = just any free agent but I guess to some that would be an example of the craziness that can infect Packer fans in the heat of the moment. There were a number of teams that considered Steven Jackson to be something greater than just any free agent, so I'm not sure that Packerdom should have simply dismissed him without any consideration. Most of us frequent forums to discuss the possibility of adding a player here or there, via the draft, free agency or trade. Not always does it indicate that we are throwing our arms up and begging TT to sign just any guy.

1) They didn't "simply dismiss" Jackson, by most accounts it was Jackson using the Packers as leverage to get signed by the Falcons.

2) Think maybe it's good that we went the TT route and have Lacy for $3.4M total for 4 years vs. 4M every year for 3 years for a 30 year old Jackson?

Members online

Latest posts