Ted Thompson seems to be doing a pretty good job

Status
Not open for further replies.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't stopped rooting for this team once in my life.

Internet forums are kinda kept alive by this sort of discussion. All season I've seen threads complaining about our lack of RB, all offseason I saw threads complaining about our crappy WRs.

I just don't see why we have to wait til the offseason to bring up the fact that our GM's strategy is apparently paying dividends now.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Packinblack.......whats the harm in bringing up on here that it appears that TT's work is paying off? I remember alot of people saying that we were 4-12 TT's first year, and 8-8 last year, totally 12-20. They kept saying how lousy that really was. That we needed to show a big improvement, and if we didn't that TT sucked. Well.....if everything falls apart, the WORST we could do is 8-8. And that would mean a 100% collapse......which i don't see happening. So if anyone wants to bring these things up, WHY would anyone take offense? It's not as though anyone was singled out and told "Look how stupid your comments were!" It was general statements, about how it looks like just MAYBE the guy is building a decent team.
Like i said before.........if we were 1-8 right now, there would have been MANY "fire TT" threads.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For sure, Cheesey, and I'd be signing the petition. 1-8 would probably sway me to believe that the GM had failed, and a 13-28 record over the course of 2.5 seasons would be pretty unacceptable.

As it stands, TT is 20-21. That's pretty decent for a franchise that's had to almost completely rebuild/restructure its salary cap.

No one has been attacked or quoted from an old thread. This is basically just calling a spade a spade and saying that this year's been a helluva lot of fun so far, and we have the GM to thank, along with many others.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
For sure, Cheesey, and I'd be signing the petition. 1-8 would probably sway me to believe that the GM had failed, and a 13-28 record over the course of 2.5 seasons would be pretty unacceptable.

As it stands, TT is 20-21. That's pretty decent for a franchise that's had to almost completely rebuild/restructure its salary cap.

No one has been attacked or quoted from an old thread. This is basically just calling a spade a spade and saying that this year's been a helluva lot of fun so far, and we have the GM to thank, along with many others.

I disagree that TT is 20-21. That 4-12 season was all on Sherman. He coached what he built. As it stands TT is 16-8 which is pretty darn good considering the depth this team had.

Nevertheless, I am not looking for the anti-Ted group to say anything on this subject. What could they possibly say. What I would like to see, and I know this will not happen, is for those who took personal shots at one another to man up and take responsibility for their words with some apologies. This was an ugly place for a long time, and I quit posting with regularity because of it. Winning cures a lot with sports fans but not everything.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay,

I am obviously debating a losing battle here, and maybe rightfully so but for the record:

I never said that Ted does not deserve some credit for our winning record, he has made "some" great choices as it turns out.

My debate in a nutshell is that while MM is being nominated for coach of the week and may even get coach of the year and while Brett is being nominated for his 4th Fedex player of the week and is a strong second at the moment for the NFL MVP award next to Brady, for some reason we want to credit TT for the success of the 8-1 record.

Everyone deserves credit including TT for his picks, all I am saying is that I see our possible "Coach of the Year" and our "HOF QB" as having more to do with the "success right now" than TT.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand your argument, winni, but my counter is this:

Our potential "Coach of the Year" was hired by TT. To give McCarthy credit for the team's success this season is to credit TT. The GM hired him, with every wish and intention that he would be coach of the year.

And as far as Brett's MVP-caliber play this season, I would give some of the credit for his stats to the offensive line and receiving corps that the GM put most of it together.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay,

I am obviously debating a losing battle here, and maybe rightfully so but for the record:

I never said that Ted does not deserve some credit for our winning record, he has made "some" great choices as it turns out.

My debate in a nutshell is that while MM is being nominated for coach of the week and may even get coach of the year and while Brett is being nominated for his 4th Fedex player of the week and is a strong second at the moment for the NFL MVP award next to Brady, for some reason we want to credit TT for the success of the 8-1 record.

Everyone deserves credit including TT for his picks, all I am saying is that I see our possible "Coach of the Year" and our "HOF QB" as having more to do with the "success right now" than TT.

I don't disagree with you Winni, but take NASCAR as a comparison. Who won the race, the driver or the guy that built the car. I admire Favre, MM, and Uncle Ted. But I am thankful to Thompson for bringing back a defense to GB.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay,

I agree with you.
It would be like my boss taking credit for all the hard work I do.

"Yeah, he works hard, but I was the guy who hired him so I should get 100% of the credit." ;)

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay,

Question for you.

Were you behind the McCarthy hire or did you want Jim Bates or someone else?

I for one thought the McCarthy hire was stupid. I kept an open mind about it like I have throughout the last 3 years but I was not very happy when I first heard the news.

3 years later I'm glad I'm wrong as McCarthy is the real deal. It was TT who hired McCarthy. I completely agree that MM and Favre and don't leave out the defense are the main reasons why the Packers are 8-1 but McCarthy deserves some credit for what he's been able to do with Favre.

Sherman basically gave Favre to many free passes. McCarthy seems to have faith in Favre but also knows how to sort of push his buttons at the same time. Very Holmgrem like in my opinion in terms of how he handles Favre.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:
Okay,

Question for you.

Were you behind the McCarthy hire or did you want Jim Bates or someone else?

Porky88,

To be totally honest with you I did not want to see Bates leave and thought that was a huge mistake at the time. I was unsure on MM right from the start as I did not know him at all but he grew on me fairly quickly and I sure as hell am glad we have him.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:
Okay,

I agree with you.
It would be like my boss taking credit for all the hard work I do.

"Yeah, he works hard, but I was the guy who hired him so I should get 100% of the credit." ;)

Wow, the two of you really twisted things around here. By saying that Thompson appears to be doing a good job, I did not imply that he should get all the credit for the team's success so far this season. Obviously you need a coach to do the coaching and players to do the playing. To give the GM credit is not to take anything at all away from those guys. A successful organization has quality people at all levels.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The GM is NOT the coach.........but he put the person in there that he thought would be the BEST coach. He also put alot of the team together. Is he the guy catching passes? Nope.......but he has his hands in ALL of the team hires. If you have an idiot at that position (see Matt Millen) your team is gonna suck for a LONG time.
JMO of course.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
How many times have we heard in the last 2 years..

Ron Wolf would WOULD have spent the money for so-so player, look how he did it when he was in charge. Why cant Ted be more like RON...

When people talk aobut the 90's its Wolf, Homlgren, Brett and Reggie...

So why is okay then to give Ron credit, but now Ted is not suppose to get any?

I am not just talking here, but I have seen it in other places and heard it on radio shows..In fact this was said not more then 2 weeks ago

"They are wining in SPITE of Ted"

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:
Okay,

Sherman basically gave Favre to many free passes. McCarthy seems to have faith in Favre but also knows how to sort of push his buttons at the same time. Very Holmgrem like in my opinion in terms of how he handles Favre.

I disagree Porky.

This is where I have a big problem with some people here.

What you're saying Porky, is that McCarthy is the reason for Favre's success. How many people here were calling for Favre's head and saying that he "lost it", and should retire a few short months ago? How many wanted Aaron Rodgers to start over Favre? (and I have a feeling that a couple still do! :cry: )

How many are willing to "man up" and admit they were wrong about Favre after viciously attacking him?

Why won't you people admit that the Packers sucked in '04, '05, and somewhat, in '06? It's as if some people would rather attack and blame Favre rather than admit that the Packers were just not that good, and that Favre had no team around him, whatsoever. What...all of a sudden Favre un-sucks again? He is un-washed up?

Saying that it's because McCarthy is controlling him like some automaton is naive at best. What McCarthy is doing is being smart enough to know that Brett Favre can run this offense without the micro-manageing, control freak coaching style of those two simps, Sherman and Rossley. I give him credit for that! (So he asserting less control over Favre, not more!)

I give TT credit for assembling some talent around Favre. I am surpriseed at the development of the WR's. That seems to be working out. As well as building the defense...and finally, the offensive line. I think TT made some definite big mistakes in his first two years (like with the O-line, WR's, and not using FA), but overall, is doing a pretty good job.

But the acid test, imo, is that if TT and the Packers can win when Favre retires...

If they do, then I will officially, "crown 'em"....

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

(Where TT "got lucky" is in Brett Favre deciding NOT to retire!)

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, here's where I have to disagree with you Fuzz.

In regards to Favre the problem in the recent past was the fact that the coaches had no control of Favre for one thing. Certainly no one around the NFL was accusing the staff of overmanaging his game.

How can you say Sherman was a control freak when he ran a hybred more vertical West Coast Offense that contributed greatly to Favre's problems?

He was winging the ball all over the place.

The biggest problem Favre had was no confidence in the defense. Who could blame him? From '03 on he had to go out there following an opposing score and try to match it....over and over and over.

You get a little reckless after awhile and he became reckless to say the least.
MM has clearly defined the QB positions job description to Favre such as late throws down the middle won't cut it and I believe Brett respects that while I highly doubt Sherman ever felt comfortable in this area.

How could he? Year in, year out, he put a less talented team on the field and asked Brett for more. Kind of hard to get on his butt under those circustances wouldn't you say?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
porky88 said:
WinnipegPackFan said:
Okay,

I disagree Porky.

What you're saying Porky, is that McCarthy is the reason for Favre's success. How many people here were calling for Favre's head and saying that he "lost it", and should retire a few short months ago? How many wanted Aaron Rodgers to start over Favre? (and I have a feeling that a couple still do! :cry: )

How many are willing to "man up" and admit they were wrong about Favre after viciously attacking him?

Why won't you people admit that the Packers sucked in '04, '05, and somewhat, in '06? It's as if some people would rather attack and blame Favre rather than admit that the Packers were just not that good, and that Favre had no team around him, whatsoever. What...all of a sudden Favre un-sucks again? He is un-washed up?

Saying that it's because McCarthy is controlling him like some automaton is naive at best. What McCarthy is doing is being smart enough to know that Brett Favre can run this offense without the micro-manageing, control freak coaching style of those two simps, Sherman and Rossley. I give him credit for that! (So he asserting less control over Favre, not more!)

All we have to do is look at Bretts numbers in the last few years, compared to THIS year..

Something is VERY different , and the one real difference is MM..So he is doing something that is making Brett better?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have seen Favre make alot of calls at the line, changing the play that was called. To me, thats huge. It puts him more in control, as he has seen it all in his long career.
It shows faith in Favre by MM.
Maybe i'm wrong........but thats how it seems to me.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I have seen Favre make alot of calls at the line, changing the play that was called. To me, thats huge. It puts him more in control, as he has seen it all in his long career.

you are correct..Brett has the ability to change the play, and its something that he really enjoys..He just talked about that on Larrys locker room

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

you are correct..Brett has the ability to change the play, and its something that he really enjoys..He just talked about that on Larrys locker room
Sweet! I didn't see that show. It just seemed to me that Favre has really been alert at the line. He REALLY looks over the D, then you see him change up, and most of the time it seems to work. I have seen Peyton Manning do that all the time, and always wondered why they didn't let Brett do the same.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well.

That's because Sherman and Rossley WERE total control freaks Cheesey and Warhawk. They wouldn't let Favre change the play. I'm sure you all remember the look on Brett's face, and him rolling his eyes when the play call came in, and how we all knew what play was going to be run.

Now, compare that to the Viking DB's quote in the post where he said that it "seemed that Favre was just toying with us out there", and the "it seemed like he could do whatever he wanted against us".

Of course, some of the credit goes to McCarthy as well, but that's the main reason, imo, that the things are so much better today then under the Sherman regime.

Sherman/Rossley would make bad play calls and just stick with them and let the chips fall where they may! :lol:

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course, some of the credit goes to McCarthy as well, but that's the main reason, imo, that the things are so much better today then under the Sherman regime.

Some of the credit? Wow.

I mean Brett definately gets his for the huge role he plays in this but make no mistake, this is Mike McCarthy's scheme. McCarthy had to get Brett to buy into HIS system.

It wouldn't work if it wasn't a great system in the first place. We've seen many QB's struggle in systems that just don't work.

Brett didn't fall in line and get on board with this overnight either. He's been a work in progress getting to this point of having complete faith in this thing.

One player certainly hasn't won the last twelve out of thirteen ballgames. There's been a lot of football players brought in here that fit in with what they need them to do and they do it well.

That's on TT.

The success of ANY organization starts at the top with the people and the plan. Without that nothing going on below will work.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Wow, the two of you really twisted things around here. By saying that Thompson appears to be doing a good job, I did not imply that he should get all the credit for the team's success so far this season. Obviously you need a coach to do the coaching and players to do the playing. To give the GM credit is not to take anything at all away from those guys. A successful organization has quality people at all levels.

Greg - That was said tongue in cheek.

My whole point is EVERYONE should get credit. We have a solid team at all levels, and it's been wonderful to follow the Packers this year.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree Porky.

I give TT credit for assembling some talent around Favre. I am surpriseed at the development of the WR's. That seems to be working out. As well as building the defense...and finally, the offensive line. I think TT made some definite big mistakes in his first two years (like with the O-line, WR's, and not using FA), but overall, is doing a pretty good job.

But the acid test, imo, is that if TT and the Packers can win when Favre retires...

If they do, then I will officially, "crown 'em"....

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

(Where TT "got lucky" is in Brett Favre deciding NOT to retire!)

Wow! Fuzznuts must be my long lost brother.

Several points:
1) Totally agreed with all the Favre bashing, some folks are reluctant to fess up. Man, all summer long, all I heard was Favre's washed up, Favre's holding the team back, Favre should retire gracefully, Favre should do this, Favre should do that. Turns out, as of 9 games deep into '07, he's the #2 QB in the NFL. Imagine that.

2) Yes. Saying Favre is an automaton is silly. MM gets credit because he calls some weird *** formations that keep D's confused. MM gets credit for calling the right plays at the right time. MM gets credit for being aggressive. I think MM is a wonderful coach. But MM is not a puppet master. It's still Favre out there breaking tackles and completing passes. MM gets credit for calling the right plays and finding opposing D's weaknesses. Great job to both.

3) TT has been doing great. I like TT. He's definitely in the top tier in GMs out there. But as Fuzznuts says, if we continue to win w/o Favre, then we can officially crown TT. Keep in mind, many of our top superstars were pre-TT - Favre, Barnett, Kampman, Driver, Harris. But TT gave us some superstars as well - Jennings, Woodson, JJ (believe me, he'll be one in the future), Hawk (he will be good, have faith in the kid), Pickett, etc.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fuzznuts said:

Some of the credit? Wow.

I mean Brett definately gets his for the huge role he plays in this but make no mistake, this is Mike McCarthy's scheme. McCarthy had to get Brett to buy into HIS system.

It wouldn't work if it wasn't a great system in the first place. We've seen many QB's struggle in systems that just don't work.

Brett didn't fall in line and get on board with this overnight either. He's been a work in progress getting to this point of having complete faith in this thing.

One player certainly hasn't won the last twelve out of thirteen ballgames. There's been a lot of football players brought in here that fit in with what they need them to do and they do it well.

That's on TT.

The success of ANY organization starts at the top with the people and the plan. Without that nothing going on below will work.

This is interesting Warhawk, because how many times have we heard the phrase, "TT and MM don't run the plays on the field. The team has to execute!" So, in essence, the coaches get a buy on criticism because they're not executing the plays, but they deserve a lion-share of the credit when the team is winning?

Well, where do we draw the line then? :wink:

Is winning in the execution by a player or players or is it the coach's strategizing/motivation of the team, or does the GM deserve all the credit for putting the chess pieces in place?

I tend to think it's the players...and when it comes right down to it, or rather, ONE player, or at least one POSITION that is most important on a football field, and that position is QB.

Look at how Peyton Manning has struggled by losing a few key players....

Look around the league and see how many teams have bad QB's, and are dying for a good QB to fill out there roster...

Remember when the trade talk was going around before the season and some posters even said that NO TEAM would want to have Brett Favre since he had no trade value being "old and washed up"...

Do you think some of those teams would like to have Favre in their huddle now?

That's the most important guy on the field, imo...the guy calling the plays in the huddle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts