Ted Thompson a genius for not overspending in free agency

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys give them a chance ... o-line is probably the hardest position in the nfl to develop ... it takes a minimum 2-3 years to get thing started

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:sniffs you alongside Trom to try and detect familiar scent:

This team has been built from a 4-12 team to a 14-4 team through drafting and second level free agency. I see no reason to change our course.

I also saw no big names this year that was worthy of eating up at least a third of our cap space.

Did the Giants expose some holes? maybe, but they were the same holes that got us to 13-3 at the time. As you said, we were young and inexperienced, now everyone has the experience and bad taste of getting within a play of going to the Superbowl. I owuld rather have those players than ones that are fat and happy with a HUGE contract.

I like our team, I like our new starting QB, I like our Coaches, I like our Architect (TT). count your blessings. We have had a great run over the last 17 years and because of excellent strategies, we have a bright future of winning ahead of us!

GO PACK! IP CHECK, AISLE THREE!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Ted Thompson a genius for not overspending in free agenc

Vince_Favre said:
The first time that Aaron Rodgers gets waffled because Colledge whiffs on his block or gets out and out beat because Ted Thompson doesn't believe in using free agency to to sign some veteran o-line help, then get back to me on this.

Favre covered up alot of holes on this team over the years. I think it's unfair and naive to assume that Rodgers is going to be able to just step in and do the same thing.

I guess if someone disagrees with the universal belief that Thompson is a genius around here, he is attacked on this forum.

I guess New England didn't upgrade their team Packnic, and go 18-0 by signing other team's trash, as you put it. Maybe their GM should be run out of town for wasting their franchise's money.

Signing a veteran 0-lineman who is an upgrade to what we have now is outrageous, right?

I guess Wolf was outrageous when he went out and signed the Packers all those FA's that won them the SB too, right?

what big time guard or tackle did Wolf bring in by F/A, and while your at it, what big time guard and tackle did Wolf allow to leave, because he didnt want to pay them

I bet he allowed more to leave then he brought in..

Just joined on March 4th? But yet as others have said a very familiar smell to ya!

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vince_Favre said:
I guess if someone disagrees with the universal belief that Thompson is a genius around here, he is attacked on this forum.

Funnily enough up until last september defending TT was an attackable offense! :D Do a search for the infamous FIRE TT NOOOOOOOOOW threads :)

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT has done a good job so far. Woodson and Pickett early to start. Drafting and player retention to build a core. But I think the draft can only take a team so far. After that eiter FA or trade to get the extra couple players to push the team the final step.

With the draft teams get what? 1 starter is ok, 2 starters is good, 3 starters is great. Wolfs best draft was probably 2000 with Clifton, Bubba and Tauscher. With good drafts every year it would take 11 years to build a team of 22 starters on O and D. By the end of the 11 years the first players are going to be leaving or gone already meaning now the draft is also needed to replace other players.

Woodson, Harris, Clifton, Tauscher, KGB and Driver, all players over 30 are going to be leaving in the next 2-3 years. Then there is another groupl of 27-28 year olds that will be leaving the next couple years after that.

I think GB is in a great position right now. A young deep team with cap space to spare. Some is going to get used up on current players and rookies. And with Brett retiring not only did GB get 11.4 mil extra this year but also 13 and 14 the next two years.

IMO if TT does not work some trades, or signs good FA the remainder of this year, and next, the team is going to get into a cycle of new players being needed only to replace current starters just to keep the team at the same level.

The team has the money to bring in a few players and front load contracts to improve the team, without putting the team into cap trouble.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vince_Favre said:
Does being a genius mean not making the Superbowl this year but having plenty of cap money?

Because I don't think that's so genius. You use free agency to put your team over the top once they are close, like Ron Wolf did, by filling holes.

This team lost to the Giants last year because of their youth and inexperience, and to a man, they failed.

I don't know how genius that is either.

Right now, Thompson's teams are 25-23. Just a little over .500.

If they don't have a winning season this year, he's still .500.

Don't seem so ingenius to me.

Word. It's a shame we didn't go crazy in 2007 Free Agency like the Superbowl Champion New York Giants did. Michael Stone, Kawika Mitchell, and Marcus Bell. They threw some serious cash around, didn't they? They really showed us how it's done. Michael Stone put that team over the top, baby.

Reaction score

Vince_Favre said:
Does being a genius mean not making the Superbowl this year but having plenty of cap money?

Because I don't think that's so genius. You use free agency to put your team over the top once they are close, like Ron Wolf did, by filling holes.

This team lost to the Giants last year because of their youth and inexperience, and to a man, they failed.

I don't know how genius that is either.

Right now, Thompson's teams are 25-23. Just a little over .500.

If they don't have a winning season this year, he's still .500.

Don't seem so ingenius to me.

Word. It's a shame we didn't go crazy in 2007 Free Agency like the Superbowl Champion New York Giants did. Michael Stone, Kawika Mitchell, and Marcus Bell. They threw some serious cash around, didn't they? They really showed us how it's done. Michael Stone put that team over the top, baby.

Let's not forget the San Diego Chargers as well, who have become one of the dominant teams in the NFL by staying out of Free Agency spending sprees also.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meanwhile New England loses one of their best defenders because they're too busy spending money on aging FA's to resign their own quality players.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vince_Favre said:

:sniff, sniff:

Thought you smelled familier :lol:

Ladies and gentleman, Vince_Favre is longer with us :cry: :wink:

:kickcan: :::Walks off singing, "Fuzzy wuzzy was a bear... and Vince...er..fuzzynuts is no longer in our lair"::: :kickcan:

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess if someone stands in the majority and disagrees with some outlying beliefs, he gets labeled an attacker. :lol:

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I want a 3-way with Ted and Aaron:

The Washington Redskins chose a good year to sit out free agency. Chicago, the Green Bay Packers, the Dallas Cowboys, the Indianapolis Colts and the San Diego Chargers also refrained from signing a single UFA from another team during the first 11 days of the signing period. Those teams might rank among the true "winners" of this free-agent season, simply by avoiding costly mistakes.
---------------------------------------------------

What's funny is we signed more people this year so far than all of last year. lol.

Heh. I could have told you that.

That's why in the thread that Favre was hurting the team by making us miss Free Agency, I said he was doing us a favor. If TT went on the Viking boat and partied like a Minnesota Viking, then woke up when FA was over, that's a GOOD thing.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Vince_Favre said:

:kickcan: :::Walks off singing, "Fuzzy wuzzy was a bear... and Vince...er..fuzzynuts is no longer in our lair"::: :kickcan:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought last year's free agent class was bad, but this one is far, far worse. The salary cap is going up and teams are keeping their best players. We don't even have a free agent fullback to get excited about this year. (Remember Justin Griffith?) Good scouting and shrewd drafting are becoming more important throughout the NFL, and that bodes well for Ted Thompson.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Vince_Favre said:

Man, I was on that. Nobody crosses Detective Trom and gets away with it. Sorry Fuzzy. Good luck with your next fake name.

Reaction score

If TT went on the Viking boat and partied like a Minnesota Viking, then woke up when FA was over, that's a GOOD thing.

I gotta admit, after reading that I'd love to see it happen. That incident would no doubt create some memorable moments!

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you overpay for a free agent all you do is up the market value of every player in the league. The Packers have a lot of cap room, but I wouldn't advise Ted to give a player more than what the fair market value is. I haven't seen a free agent yet that I thought was worth overpaying for?

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score

trippster said:
Vince_Favre said:

Man, I was on that. Nobody crosses Detective Trom and gets away with it. Sorry Fuzzy. Good luck with your next fake name.

I never pay attention to the good stuff. Bye.

mateus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just thought id throw some canadian flare in here:
it really doesnt matter the sport to say the least. its the right road to take for most professional sports and im going with exhibit A: montreal canadiens.
24 stanley cup champs, last one in '93, since then theyve been on the recieving end of alot of sad moves and bad management...were talking at 15 year drought and counting...missed the playoffs 3 times and when we made it we snuck into the last spot(wildcard like for those who dont know hockey much).
then in comes bob gainey! number of big FAs signed: zilch, three years after his coming into office: the team is fighting for first in the eastern conference(AFC/NFC like for those who dont know hockey) and all thanks to performances from drafted players!
TT, i dont know much about football yet, but i know enough that your on the right track to putting this packers team where it belongs!

Big_Dog

Cheesehead
Reaction score

One thought could be that Tightwad Ted is a genius for not overspending. My particular slant on that is that he's an ostrich with his head stuck in the sand if he continues to ignore FA like he has done and is doing.

Besides....what good does it do for the Packers to be 30million under the cap?

You know he could have signed a Javon Kearse or maybe Chris Jenkins and improved the dline dramatically.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Big_Dog said:
One thought could be that Tightwad Ted is a genius for not overspending. My particular slant on that is that he's an ostrich with his head stuck in the sand if he continues to ignore FA like he has done and is doing.

You know he could have signed a Javon Kearse or maybe Chris Jenkins and improved the dline dramatically.

My slant on that is 13-3 and one good pass away from being in the superbowl.

Reaction score

Big_Dog said:

Fair enough, but teams such as the Colts and Chargers have not signed anyone of note either.

Ted has actually signed two players, albeit "no-name" players. Those signings aren't ****, or big name, but it shows that Ted isn't an ostrich with his head stuck in the sand during this free agency period.

Big_Dog said:

For one thing, being under the cap by so much gives the Packers extreme financial flexibility for 2010, when "experts" expect an uncapped year.

Also, being 30 million under the cap gives the Packers flexibility in resigning their own players, players such as Greg Jennings, Aaron Rodgers, Ryan Grant, Atari Bigby, Nick Collins, Colin Cole, John Jolly, John Kuhn, Junius Coston, Brady Poppinga, AJ Hawk, Ryan Pickett, Koren Robinson, and others.

Simply put, the Packers are in position to re-sign their core players, something that can't be said for a team like the Colts. So there are benefits for not spending money just for the sake of spending money.

Big_Dog said:

We could have gone that route, but perhaps the Packers were not convinced with Kearse's ability to stay healthy and contribute. Perhaps the Packers were weary of giving Kris Jenkins all that money, someone who has had problems keeping his weight under control.

Big_Dog, you are assuming just because Ted has not signed someone with name recognition, he has not looked at players and pursued them. That is an incorrect assumption.

The Packers have brought in players for visits, and had discussion about signing players (WR Tab Perry come to mind right away), so it isn't as if Ted is oblivious to what Free Agency means.

Ted's approach got us to 13-3 last year, so I think he deserves time to get things done his way, whether that means signing players left and right, or just sticking to drafting and claiming young players cut form other teams.

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ya spend the cap for what ... so when ppl like grant ask for money we tell em we dont have enough money so they leave and then ppl would be crying that TT doesnt know how to use the $$$

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

ya spend the cap for what ... so when ppl like grant ask for money we tell em we dont have enough money so they leave and then ppl would be crying that TT doesnt know how to use the $$$

Bingo!

Grant has a year like last year, he'll be getting a fat paycheck. That's when you're thankful we have money.

mateus

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Big_Dog said:

My slant on that is 13-3 and one good pass away from being in the superbowl.
bingo!
not to mention what everyone else has been countlessly repeating: signing core players to the big bucks they deserve.
-Matt

Members online

Latest posts