1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Ted Ginn

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by sbp_387, Dec 5, 2006.

1. kmac

kmac Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Some would also argue that we have 2 good WRs at 6'0 or under, and we need to pick up a big dude.
  2. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    Ted Ginn Jr I think is a 2nd rd type player. Seems a bit on the smaller side and ... oh screw that. I'm not college expert. I've only seen clips of him play.

Same goes for 6-5 215 lb Dwayne Jarrett. If I have to chose between the two, I'm going with Jarrett. His past and mine have a connection (not personally, jus simalarity) and I believe he has a helluva heart for football. The only drawback is he runs the 40 in 4.55 :( But on the bright side Jerry Rice ran the forty in 4.7 as a rookie.
  3. Cory

Cory Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't be upset with either pick, but Jerry Rice did compliment the heck out of Ted Ginn.
  4. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's some scary stuff right there. Hopefully it is just Thompson being poker-faced, as he usually is. With the possible exception of Nick Collins, Manuel was the worst starter on the team last year. I would rather have a vet to replace him, but if there are no good vets to be had, I wouldn't mind them drafting a rookie who is NFL ready.
  5. Cory

Cory Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    From the highlights Ive seen...Landry hits like a truck AND can cover the pass well.
  6. Krazygangsta

Krazygangsta Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Landry would be a great pick ... but he would be gone ... were either going to pick WR or HB depending whos on the board in the first round and depending who we sign FA
  7. kmac

kmac Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Seen the highlight where he gets hit like a truck by Tim Tebow?
  8. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    One of Tebows strengths as a QB is running.
  9. kmac

kmac Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh, I love Tim Tebow, but he's a 230 pound freshman. If he can truck the hell out of Landry, he doesn't stand a chance against a good NFL HB.
  10. Cory

Cory Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Have to disagree with you there. I've seen him truck many SEC RBs and QBs on blitzes.
  11. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    Point acknowledged.

But isn't getting stronger part of going from College to the Pros?
  12. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ginn is most likely the #3 WR taken in this draft which is deep in WR's.

Could he have been the #1 WR last year? maybe. Are there other possibilities in the 2nd or 3rd that would make the value of another player in the 1st like an RB a better value? maybe.

The Packers also need a kick returner. That makes him more valued to the Packers.

I'm not sold on this guy though.
  13. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    I agree about KR, but I don't think you spend a 1st rd pick on a KR unless it is the final piece of the grand puzzle.
  14. paxvogel

paxvogel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Jarrett doesn't have top end speed and could be another Mike Williams. I take Ginn. Helps a lot on special teams and opens up the field just by going deep even if we don't throw to him.
  15. sbp_387

sbp_387 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's not like all he is going to do is return kicks....
    Just put him on the field and have him run... be will torch most cb and
    will require saftey help, which also opens up the game for Greg and Driver.
  16. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    He has to be able to get off the line and free from the jamb to stretch the field. I see that he is adding bulk now and upper body strength to help with the hand fighting. But it might take him a year or two to develop the ability to get off the line against a good bump and run cover CB.
  17. Tiger

Tiger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Tebow didnt truck Landry, he ran over Jessie Daniels
  18. sbp_387

sbp_387 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wached every osu game this year and last year, hardly ever saw him get "jamed" at the line. His first step is very quick and he is usuly around the other guy very fast.
  19. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I agree, if he gets off the line he can do some damage. He didn't play many good cover corners, Hall and Ross come to mind. Pull some tape of the Texas game, when Ross got a good jam on him, it threw off his route. But there was a play that stood out in that game, Ross wiffed on the jam and Ginn was gone. But my fear is that he will get to the pros, where bump and run CB are better than anything he has faced and he will struggle to get off the line.
  20. sbp_387

sbp_387 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Let me say this one more time, we don't need a slow wr we need a guy who can stretch the field.

that is why I am for gin, as for a RB we don't need a first round guy we run a zone blocking just look at the Brancos they have made a business of drafting a backs low and trading them after a few 1000 yard seasons. We would be just as well off with Pittman or Iorns... We need guys who can make a quick cut and turn of the burners.

ginn's seed alone demands attention form opposing teams and mostly causes them to leave other guys a bit more open.
  21. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    And let me say this one more time, Ginn has speed to burn no doubt, but if a CB knocks him on his *** with a good "legal" bump, how fast is he going to be?

All I am saying here is that he has a high "bust" factor and a team rebuilding needs not to miss with a first round pick. I actually like him, I just don't think he is a first rounder. Too much of a bust or boom type player.
  22. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree completely. Ginn is all about speed. With a good bump by an NFL calibur CB that can be negated. He's not crafty at all and that is perhaps the most important piece of being a great WR.

Very few big-time NFL WR's are track stars.
  23. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    More concern...

Ted Ginn Works Out
    Following his injury in the BCS national championship, there has been much speculation as to how WR Ted Ginn Jr. will heal and whether his inability to workout at the NFL Scouting Combine would hurt his draft status. Well, we're hearing a mixed reaction on Ginn's workout at Ohio State. Veteran scouts have said Ginn is one of the fastest players they had ever watched. At his workout Wednesday, he was clocked three times in the 40, his fastest a blazing 4.38 and his slowest a not-too-shabby 4.44. Considering he was running with a bad foot and still clocked under 4.4, scouts walked away with no questions about his speed.

While route running has never been his strength, Ginn’s foot had a noticeable effect on the workout. He seemed unable to plant and cut effectively and did not run many routes before having to stop the workout. According to some in attendance, his demanding father, a legendary high school coach in Ohio, appeared upset Ginn wasn’t able to do everything at 100-percent.

Regardless of his inability to finish the workout, Ginn’s game tape is all the evidence teams need to feel comfortable that he can play at an elite level. However, do not be surprised if durability issues – he is small and slight-framed – forced his draft stock to slide somewhat.

http://nflblogs.profootballweekly.com/NFLdraft/
  24. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I read a comment by a member on these forums (highly respectable IMO) Bruce and I think he made a great point, something to the effects of "this kid ran about 20 routes, than quit".

You have an injury, fine.

You also have access to facilities and medical assistance that many on this forum would never even dream of because it is so state of the art. You can sprain an ankle, and be back in as little as a week where as the rest of us who don't have the same availability have to wait months before the mild sprain heals.

I was high on Ginn, but his showing has made me sour on him.
  25. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am confused. Are you referring to his pro day? I wasn’t overwhelmed by it either but to run 20 routes on a bad foot is very tough to do. His injury takes time to heal. Look it Greg Jennings as an example. He never got over his sprained ankle.

Edit: Ginn has a hell of a work ethic. That's probably the best thing he has going for him as well as his speed.