Ted Ginn

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More of an athlete than a polish WR. Needs to work on his hands. I actually think he could really benefit by staying in college another year. He's still really raw.

Does have a lot of upside though but I fear coming out will hurt him in the long run and he'll never live up to his potential.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More of an athlete than a polish WR. Needs to work on his hands. I actually think he could really benefit by staying in college another year. He's still really raw.

Does have a lot of upside though but I fear coming out will hurt him in the long run and he'll never live up to his potential.

Jerry Rice had alot of good things to say about him. Judging by the weakness of this draft if he is there at 16 why not take em? I used to be on the "dont take ginn" bandwagon, but his speed is so intriguing and he gives us a deep threat that we don't have plus a great return game right away. He can take a slant pattern all the way easy. Can also use him as a decoy the way the Saints used Bush early in the year. It wouldn't bother me if the Packers took him. Good character, too. Father is a big name high school coach in Ohio. All he does after a td is either kneel down for prayer or just flip the ball to the ref. No show boatin'.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

Jerry Rice had alot of good things to say about him. Judging by the weakness of this draft if he is there at 16 why not take em? I used to be on the "dont take ginn" bandwagon, but his speed is so intriguing and he gives us a deep threat that we don't have plus a great return game right away. He can take a slant pattern all the way easy. Can also use him as a decoy the way the Saints used Bush early in the year. It wouldn't bother me if the Packers took him. Good character, too. Father is a big name high school coach in Ohio. All he does after a td is either kneel down for prayer or just flip the ball to the ref. No show boatin'.

He has his positives. Every prospect does. I just think if we're so desperate to win now because of #4 we could use the pick on a better player. Bush was much more NFL ready than Ginn. I don't agree with Mel Kiper all the time but I think he said it best about Reggie Bush. “Put an 8 ahead of the 5 and he's still the #1 player in the Draft.” Ginn isn't like that. He'll be great on special teams early but he'll probably have problems adjusting to the game at WR because of his route running and his hands. Also keep in mind he's not exactly a great fit for the West Coast offense and the terminology is very tough to learn.

If I had a choice between Ginn and Lynch. I'd take Lynch no question. If it came down to Ginn or Samarjidza. I'd take Ginn then. Pends who is there I guess but I think Lynch should last to #16 because of needs and RB isn't always a popular pick in the top 10.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
porky88 said:

He has his positives. Every prospect does. I just think if we're so desperate to win now because of #4 we could use the pick on a better player. Bush was much more NFL ready than Ginn. I don't agree with Mel Kiper all the time but I think he said it best about Reggie Bush. “Put an 8 ahead of the 5 and he's still the #1 player in the Draft.” Ginn isn't like that. He'll be great on special teams early but he'll probably have problems adjusting to the game at WR because of his route running and his hands. Also keep in mind he's not exactly a great fit for the West Coast offense and the terminology is very tough to learn.

If I had a choice between Ginn and Lynch. I'd take Lynch no question. If it came down to Ginn or Samarjidza. I'd take Ginn then. Pends who is there I guess but I think Lynch should last to #16 because of needs and RB isn't always a popular pick in the top 10.

His route running and hands are much better than given credit for and OSU's offense really went to crap without him. In fact I don't know where the rumor about his hands came from...He's still raw I'll give you that, but the way TT is talking it sounds to me like he isn't drafting based on Brett Favre. Bush was NOT NFL ready to be a RB. He struggled quite often this season in the RB mold. Without McCallister they may not have had an effective run game. Bush was used in the passing game and as a decoy quite often(like Im suggesting for Ginn). Imagine reverses and fake reverses to Ginn. Imagine hitting Ginn on a slant pattern. He may in fact be gone once he touches the ball. I don't buy the "size' argument because how does Donald Driver make it in the WCO then? Why did we draft Greg Jennings then? Both are only 5'11"-6' tall and about 190 lbs. Ginn is 6'/185 and has olympic speed. He will take time learning the WCO for sure, but with his upside and the positives that he would already bring to the team are very intriguing.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Driver,Jennings,Ginn,Krob,Martin.....that wouldnt be too bad, if TT didnt get another vet WR for depth (which i think he should)

Driver and Jennings are their own type of WR, Ginn is the speed man, and K-Rob is more of an over the middle posession\jump ball type.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Driver,Jennings,Ginn,Krob,Martin.....that wouldnt be too bad, if TT didnt get another vet WR for depth (which i think he should)

Driver and Jennings are their own type of WR, Ginn is the speed man, and K-Rob is more of an over the middle posession\jump ball type.

I need to explain my position better. I'm not saying I'm completely sold on taking him. I'm just warming up to the idea that if I hear his name called at #16 I won't be upset. A month ago I would have been upset at what I thought would be a wasted pick. Then seeing him leave everyone in the dust on the KR made me remember how exactly fast he is and his top speed is RIDICULOUS.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldnt mind getting the guy. I think Jarrett is a better fit for our team, but McCarthy could use a speeder like Ginn on offense to help brett.

I dont want Lynch cuz I dont wanna get an RB in the 1st round...when Ahman and Morency are starting to do well.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Cory said:
porky88 said:

His route running and hands are much better than given credit for and OSU's offense really went to crap without him. In fact I don't know where the rumor about his hands came from...He's still raw I'll give you that, but the way TT is talking it sounds to me like he isn't drafting based on Brett Favre. Bush was NOT NFL ready to be a RB. He struggled quite often this season in the RB mold. Without McCallister they may not have had an effective run game. Bush was used in the passing game and as a decoy quite often(like Im suggesting for Ginn). Imagine reverses and fake reverses to Ginn. Imagine hitting Ginn on a slant pattern. He may in fact be gone once he touches the ball. I don't buy the "size' argument because how does Donald Driver make it in the WCO then? Why did we draft Greg Jennings then? Both are only 5'11"-6' tall and about 190 lbs. Ginn is 6'/185 and has olympic speed. He will take time learning the WCO for sure, but with his upside and the positives that he would already bring to the team are very intriguing.

His hands always have been below average. It's not a rumor. It's his big weakness. He was recruited as an athlete and was originally thought to be a Corner because of his hands. Ohio State though was stacked top to bottom in the defensive back field and they utilized him on offense very well.

While Ginn has made huge strides and improvements he's still a very big project. Biggest one that'll go in round 1 in all likely hood. His route running isn't great. It's average but it did get a lot better from sophomore to junior year and as the year went on. His hands aren't great. Below average grade in all likely hood. His upside is bigger than any player in the Draft in my opinion. If he pans out he could have a similar impact that someone like Steve Smith has had or what Desmond Howard was supposed to have at receiver.

Green Bay IMO needs a tall WR that can go up and get the ball. Someone like Dwayne Jarrett. Ginn cannot do that because of his height. Greg Jennings coming out had great hands and was a great route runner. Driver runs exceptional routes as well and has great hands.

Bush was very NFL Ready. Bush couldn't stay in school and get better. College football was to easy for Reggie Bush. Bush split a lot of time with McAlister early on and their were a lot of scouts who thought of him as a receiver anyways. Green Bay worked him out at receiver and not RB actually. A lot of teams actually did. It's not really shocking that Bush has been used mainly as a receiver this year instead of a RB. Ginn is more of the Vince Young/Mike Vick of receivers instead of Reggie Bush’s of the running backs. Huge risk and great upside. Make or break player is how I would sum it up for Ginn. If he works out he’s going to be a very dangerous player. If Green Bay feels he's their guy then they have to take him.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
porky88 said:
Cory said:
porky88 said:

His hands always have been below average. It's not a rumor. It's his big weakness. He was recruited as an athlete and was originally thought to be a Corner because of his hands. Ohio State though was stacked top to bottom in the defensive back field and they utilized him on offense very well.

While Ginn has made huge strides and improvements he's still a very big project. Biggest one that'll go in round 1 in all likely hood. His route running isn't great. It's average but it did get a lot better from sophomore to junior year and as the year went on. His hands aren't great. Below average grade in all likely hood. His upside is bigger than any player in the Draft in my opinion. If he pans out he could have a similar impact that someone like Steve Smith has had or what Desmond Howard was supposed to have at receiver.

Green Bay IMO needs a tall WR that can go up and get the ball. Someone like Dwayne Jarrett. Ginn cannot do that because of his height. Greg Jennings coming out had great hands and was a great route runner. Driver runs exceptional routes as well and has great hands.

Bush was very NFL Ready. Bush couldn't stay in school and get better. College football was to easy for Reggie Bush. Bush split a lot of time with McAlister early on and their were a lot of scouts who thought of him as a receiver anyways. Green Bay worked him out at receiver and not RB actually. A lot of teams actually did. It's not really shocking that Bush has been used mainly as a receiver this year instead of a RB. Ginn is more of the Vince Young/Mike Vick of receivers instead of Reggie Bush’s of the running backs. Huge risk and great upside. Make or break player is how I would sum it up for Ginn. If he works out he’s going to be a very dangerous player. If Green Bay feels he's their guy then they have to take him.

I watched every game of his college career. He doesn't drop many passes so I'm not sure who started that rumor(and it is a rumor) his hands are not a weakness. Where are you reading about his hands anyway? Bush averaged 2.6 ypc his first 11 games. He wasn't NFL ready as a RB. The big knock on him was hitting the hole fast enough.

Ginn's route running does need work for sure. I would rather have Jarrett, too. But to say Ginn's hands are a weakness just is not true. OSU didn't put Ginn at WR because they were "loaded" at DB its because he was such a playmaker with his speed. In fact at the time OSU was extremely young at DB with sophomore Ashton Youboty starting in place of Dustin Fox who was injured for quite a while and EJ Underwood whom was so bad was benched later in the year for Youboty when Fox came back(underwood was later kicked off the team). We were actually paper thin at DB that season and Ginn could have certainly helped since our WR corps had Santonio Holmes, Roy Hall, Tony Gonzo, Bam Childress and big name freshmen Devon Lyons, Devon Jordan(Justin Zwicks teammate in high school).

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:beersign:

I watched every game of his college career. He doesn't drop many passes so I'm not sure who started that rumor(and it is a rumor) his hands are not a weakness. Where are you reading about his hands anyway? Bush averaged 2.6 ypc his first 11 games. He wasn't NFL ready as a RB. The big knock on him was hitting the hole fast enough.

Ginn's route running does need work for sure. I would rather have Jarrett, too. But to say Ginn's hands are a weakness just is not true. OSU didn't put Ginn at WR because they were "loaded" at DB its because he was such a playmaker with his speed. In fact at the time OSU was extremely young at DB with sophomore Ashton Youboty starting in place of Dustin Fox who was injured for quite a while and EJ Underwood whom was so bad was benched later in the year for Youboty when Fox came back(underwood was later kicked off the team). We were actually paper thin at DB that season and Ginn could have certainly helped since our WR corps had Santonio Holmes, Roy Hall, Tony Gonzo, Bam Childress and big name freshmen Devon Lyons, Devon Jordan(Justin Zwicks teammate in high school).

Say what you will about Reggie Bush but his impact has done a lot for the Saints and it's been more than just touching the ball. His ability to return kicks, punts, and play two positions has really opened things up for the Saints.

None the less this is about Ginn... (I'm trying to be a good mod and staying on topic :rotflmao:)

Dating back to High School his hands were suspect even though with his speed is was just about untouchable when he did get the ball. Freshman year he struggled a bit. Sophomore year he struggled a bit. This is why like I stated he was recruited as an athlete instead of a receiver. A lot of people thought he'd be a CB instead of a WR but he does have a great work ethic and worked at it enough to improve. His speed is what makes him a deadly weapon on offense and that's why Ohio State moved him. He could be a playmaker on offense and a bigger factor that way. If he didn't have great speed he may not of been moved from offense from defense. That's speculation but Ohio State really felt he would be a game changer on offense and they were right.

As for his Speed. It’s great, fantastic, all you want. Olympic is pushing it. He won’t break a 4.2 in the 40.

This year was by far his best year and his stock has rose because of it. Since the ND game he really came on and at least created talks like this.

I really don't like to look at all the Draft sites since I like to analyze the players when I have my time but here are some reports...

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=10413

Re watch the game if you have it on tape. I noticed though a lot of his drops are screens. I think he takes off to quick. That can easily be fixed.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/prospects/ted_ginn.html

inconsistent hands mentioned again.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bonus/2006-12-28-osu-ginn-cover_x.htm

Just a nice article on him. States pretty much everything I said. Defensive player turned offensive player.

Really making me work.. :lol:

Need any more?

I'm not saying he's a bad player. I'm just saying his weaknesses are his route running and his hands. If GB takes him I wouldn't go crazy. I'd be a bit surprise since Ted Thompson likes to draft football players instead of athletes and he's said as much before. Hence AJ Hawk over Vernon Davis. His upside is definitely worth the risk for any team however like I’ve said before it depends on what Green Bay’s options are. I like Marshawn Lynch, Dwayne Jarrett, Laron Landry, and Reggie Nelson ahead of him. Though 3 of those guys are likely gone when we pick. Wouldn’t shock me to see Ginn go to Buffalo or San Francisco either ahead of us.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't this the guy that got hurt celebrating a TD on the opening kick off return?

I didnt see the game, so did a search for a pic of the injury and found this..

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

look under the one guys elbow..Is that Ginns ankle being rolled?

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Isn't this the guy that got hurt celebrating a TD on the opening kick off return?

With teammates like that, who needs opponents.

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Zero2Cool said:

With teammates like that, who needs opponents.

Lmaooooooo :thumbsup: good 1

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:

Say what you will about Reggie Bush but his impact has done a lot for the Saints and it's been more than just touching the ball. His ability to return kicks, punts, and play two positions has really opened things up for the Saints.

None the less this is about Ginn... (I'm trying to be a good mod and staying on topic :rotflmao:)

Dating back to High School his hands were suspect even though with his speed is was just about untouchable when he did get the ball. Freshman year he struggled a bit. Sophomore year he struggled a bit. This is why like I stated he was recruited as an athlete instead of a receiver. A lot of people thought he'd be a CB instead of a WR but he does have a great work ethic and worked at it enough to improve. His speed is what makes him a deadly weapon on offense and that's why Ohio State moved him. He could be a playmaker on offense and a bigger factor that way. If he didn't have great speed he may not of been moved from offense from defense. That's speculation but Ohio State really felt he would be a game changer on offense and they were right.

As for his Speed. It’s great, fantastic, all you want. Olympic is pushing it. He won’t break a 4.2 in the 40.

This year was by far his best year and his stock has rose because of it. Since the ND game he really came on and at least created talks like this.

I really don't like to look at all the Draft sites since I like to analyze the players when I have my time but here are some reports...

Re watch the game if you have it on tape. I noticed though a lot of his drops are screens. I think he takes off to quick. That can easily be fixed.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bonus/2006-12-28-osu-ginn-cover_x.htm

Just a nice article on him. States pretty much everything I said. Defensive player turned offensive player.

Need any more?

I'm not saying he's a bad player. I'm just saying his weaknesses are his route running and his hands. If GB takes him I wouldn't go crazy. I'd be a bit surprise since Ted Thompson likes to draft football players instead of athletes and he's said as much before. Hence AJ Hawk over Vernon Davis. His upside is definitely worth the risk for any team however like I’ve said before it depends on what Green Bay’s options are. I like Marshawn Lynch, Dwayne Jarrett, Laron Landry, and Reggie Nelson ahead of him. Though 3 of those guys are likely gone when we pick. Wouldn’t shock me to see Ginn go to Buffalo or San Francisco either ahead of us.

I watched the Michigan game in 2005. That was over a year ago and they are using that ONE game to measure his hands? That's lazy scouting because that was his one bad game dropping passes. He also muffed two punts that game, too so I guess his weakness is now fielding punts also? I'm going over a body of his career...not ONE game. He had one key drop against Purdue in his freshmen year as well that led to an int. It's never been a problem consistantly, though. I know how Bush has helped the Saints this year and I'm suggesting Ginn can help in similar ways even in the recieving game by spreading the field. Yes his route running needs work for sure, but he has improved drastically in that area over his college career as well which suggest even more of an upside. TT said he will take the BPA and when we pick at 16 that just might be Ted Ginn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvZrbdG7bZw

Check this video out.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Cory said:

Need any more?

I watched the Michigan game in 2005. That was over a year ago and they are using that ONE game to measure his hands? That's lazy scouting because that was his one bad game dropping passes. He also muffed two punts that game, too so I guess his weakness is now fielding punts also? I'm going over a body of his career...not ONE game. He had one key drop against Purdue in his freshmen year as well that led to an int. It's never been a problem consistantly, though. I know how Bush has helped the Saints this year and I'm suggesting Ginn can help in similar ways even in the recieving game by spreading the field. Yes his route running needs work for sure, but he has improved drastically in that area over his college career as well which suggest even more of an upside. TT said he will take the BPA and when we pick at 16 that just might be Ted Ginn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvZrbdG7bZw

Check this video out.

Again I'm not saying I don't want Ted Ginn Jr. It all depends on how the draft lays out. The guys I listed above could be gone by pick #16 and then Ginn could be there. If that's the case then I think you take him.

I believe I posted this as well. Says the same thing. I've seen him drop passes against Northwestern before. Purdue etc.. If your talking this year it was much better. However his hands are still a question mark. One year of improvement doesn’t change a players strengths and weaknesses especially when he’s going to go to the next level. His route running has improved but still remains a question. As long as he keep improving he will be fine.

When scouting reports come out before the Draft your going to hear it more and more. So you might as well get use it because his hands are going to be the big question mark with him. Like I said above a lot of the drops look to be because he was taking off before he even had control of the ball. He’s huge big play threat and very explosive but he’s far from a finished product.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again I'm not saying I don't want Ted Ginn Jr. It all depends on how the draft lays out. The guys I listed above could be gone by pick #16 and then Ginn could be there. If that's the case then I think you take him.

I believe I posted this as well. Says the same thing. I've seen him drop passes against Northwestern before. Purdue etc.. If your talking this year it was much better. However his hands are still a question mark. One year of improvement doesn’t change a players strengths and weaknesses especially when he’s going to go to the next level. His route running has improved but still remains a question. As long as he keep improving he will be fine.

When scouting reports come out before the Draft your going to hear it more and more. So you might as well get use it because his hands are going to be the big question mark with him. Like I said above a lot of the drops look to be because he was taking off before he even had control of the ball. He’s huge big play threat and very explosive but he’s far from a finished product.

I just haven't seen his hands as a big problem over his college career. He had one miserable game dropping passes against Michigan, but also caught 8 for 104 yards. He is still very raw at WR, but they also said that about Gamble at CB when he came out. Btw, he DOES have at least olympic type speed as he was invited to try out when he was 17. Was a huge track star in college. Saw highlights of that too and he blew away the competition consistantly.

If Dwayne Jarrett is there I take him over Ginn. Landry I know they won't take because for some idiot reason they are still infatuated with manuel. I actually would rather have a vet at safety. I'm not a huge Lynch fan, but would understand if they took him. If Peterson could stay healthy and somehow fell to GB that would also be intriguing.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Johnson will be long gone by 16, but both Jarrett and Ginn could be available between 10 - 20. If they were both there and they were the two best players left on the board, I guess I would favor Jarrett.

Although we need help in the receiving corps I would not take one of these guys if there was a better player on the board at another position.

OP
OP
S

sbp_387

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we have other types in Driver and Jennings, now we need a guy who can burn any CB in the NFL and leave a trail of smoke behind.....
b/c those kind of guys require safety help to cover thus leaving other guys more open....

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sbp_387 said:
we have other types in Driver and Jennings, now we need a guy who can burn any CB in the NFL and leave a trail of smoke behind.....
b/c those kind of guys require safety help to cover thus leaving other guys more open....

And that would be Ted Ginn.

Members online

Latest posts