Tebow Better Than Rodgers In Espn's Qbr

Reaction score
ESPN's Rankings Here
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7081063/nfl-week-5-total-qbr-leaders
Absolutely ridiculous... ESPN even wrote an article on why!

ESPN's article/blog defending the QBR
http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=statsinfo&i=FB&id=28374&w=1b3fw&wjb

Edit: (Thanks to Fettpett)
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/32570/explaining-the-rodgers-tebow-qbr-caper

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/28374/tebows-diverse-skills-boost-total-qbr

Other than Tebow’s significant rushing (six carries for 38 yards) compared to Rodgers’ lack thereof (one rush for minus one yard)
Maybe because HE WAS TAKING A KNEE! Something that many QB's wish they could do.

Reaction to story:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/10/espns-qbr-stat-puts-tebow-ahead-of-rodgers/

http://www.businessinsider.com/tim-tebow-tom-brady-2011-10

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I really don't understand all this hype over Tebow. He was one good college player that has done nothing so far in the pros.

He played OK and by OK he only completed 4 out of 10 passes. Compare that to Rodgers, compare to Brees, Brady, Rivers, and Fitzpatrick.

ESPN has some of the worst writers ever, and that's a proven fact at how they hyped up Kevin Kolb to be "the next Kurt Warner" and he flat out sucks in Arizona just like he did in Philadelphia. Just a week ago they had an article on Suh for the Lions saying how "he's already did more for this team than Barry Sanders did in a decade." For someone that hasn't even played for a few seasons, I don't see how they are already worth more than the one time all time leading NFL rusher. No disrespect to Suh, he's amazing, but I don't see how you can compare him to Barry like that when he was a record holder before Emmitt Smith became the NFL's all time leading rusher.

Tebow is a joke. The only people that actually believe he's something is ESPN fan boys, and the Bronco's fan base.

The problem with Tebow is, he still thinks this is college. Cam Newton grew up quick with a Hall of Fame quarterback patting him on the shoulder, telling him that throwing the ball is more important than running. Now Tebow don't have one of the greatest quarterbacks ever mentoring him, but he should know in the NFL it's a passing league and not a "Snap the ball, and take off running to the left hoping to pick up some yards." And when he throws, he's just not accurate. We'll see how he fairs against a crappy Dolphins team that will probably keep him between a 40-55% completion rate.

As much as I hated Newton for being an Alabama fan, I can't rag on him anymore. He's trying to do it with his arm and not legs. But I try to be easy on Cam, after learning one of my favorite quarterbacks of all time is mentoring him (And rumor has it that's why he wears the number 1) In times, I can see where Moon is mentoring him. Newton tries to escape pressure, throw it deep, air it out, but he also can run scrambling out of pressure. Some plays he really reminds me of being a little kid and watching Moon play deep ball stretching a defense out. I think the Panthers should make Moon quarterback coach for him eventually. For someone like me that hated me so much, I can't be ******* him and I'll be a good person and say I was wrong about him being a bust.

Tebow was a 3rd string quarterback for a reason, he just sucks. Watch and see, if he even finishes the season.

Rodgers is so far ahead of Tebow, I don't care what an ESPN writer says. They proved how stupid they were to me last year by comparing LeBron to Michael Jordan, and how I can forget how Tiger Woods is still the greatest golfer ever when he has sucked since proving how big a ****** bag he is to drag his kids and wife down with his affairs. They also think Kevin Kolb was the best ever.

ESPN is a HYPE MACHINE.

Think about Micheal Vick and the non stop "it's not his fault" "he's the greatest player EVER" and one I love the most "He is the most mobile quarterback in NFL history". Vick also has a bad reputation like Tiger Woods and LeBron, making him one of the most hated athletes, this means they will glorify him and make him out to be innocent no matter what. I've had people argue me that Vick is better than Steve Young, but I don't remember Young ever doing as bad as Vick, even when his go to guys were injured, Young played a lot harder, and through injuries.

Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
TEBOWWWWWWW. I love tebow. Nice humble christian kid : I love his personality and the way he played in college. I don't know to much on how the qbr system works. I have no idea how they could of ranked him so high based off 1 quater or whatever. All i know about the qbr system is that Rodgers leads it. :)

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Eh, Tebow couldn't beat the Packers, when his team went against the Pack, they lost. And guess what his rushing stats versus the Pack = how many yards rushing A-Rod had versus the Falcons.

L

Lunchboxer

I miss the days when ESPN had Hockey on the channel.

Tebow just flat out sucks. I dont know why ESPN is hypeing him up of all people.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I know lol who seen Alex Smith actually not blowing games in the 4th quarter this year?

I admit I was wrong on Newton, maybe I was wrong about Alex Smith too but I won't say it until the season is over lol.

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't understand all this hype over Tebow. He was one good college player that has done nothing so far in the pros.
Tebow is a joke. The only people that actually believe he's something is ESPN fan boys, and the Bronco's fan base.

ESPN is a HYPE MACHINE.

and why is there so much coverage on a 1-4 team(Eagles) and hardly anything on a team that is 5-0( Lions)

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
and why is there so much coverage on a 1-4 team(Eagles) and hardly anything on a team that is 5-0( Lions)

Because they have a "bad boy" reputation on their team (Michael Vick) and as usual, ESPN is an East coast based sports network. It's always East teams they glorify. New England, the Jets, Cowboys, Yankees, Philadelphia (Eagles and Phillies), and of course Miami Heat.

I really think if Vick didn't have such a bad rap with his dumb decision making in the past, they would not focus on him so much. It's the same thing with LeBron. He is a *********, he screwed his team, but it's not his fault, he's the next Michael Jordan, so let's tell all the Cavs fans how stupid they are for not liking the ******* anymore, let's focus 80% of basketball coverage on that one team full of 3 a-holes that you all hate.

Also Tiger Woods became more famous than he already was by having a scandalous affairs. I never liked him, but I don't see how many excuses they can make for him to still say he's the greatest of all time. I'm sure had he went down hill with his game, and not the affairs, they wouldn't have made him into such a bigger star than he is now.

So when it comes right down to it, being a *******, murdering dogs and serving time really helped Michael Vick when it comes to his celebrity status among ESPN to glorify them, cause as they believe; kids don't want to look up to a good role model in Sports (Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, guys with good reputation) they'd rather look at someone like Tiger Woods or Michael Vick that show you the wrong things to do when you have more money than you can spend.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tebow - 4 for 10, 79 yards yards and a TD.
Rodgers - 26 for 39, 396 yards and 2 TDs.

Tebow QBR - 83.2
Rodgers QBR- 82.1

But hey ESPN weighs heavily on the QB who contributes more to the win right?

I rest my case on QBR. :)

Castle Of Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I can't stand ESPN's QBR - primarily because they try to jam it down our throats on a weekly basis. I also don't like that it seems to penalize QBs on good teams who tend to play with the lead. Then again, I believe through the season so far, Rodgers is #1 in both the ESPN and standard QBR.... Maybe it is a little more accurate than I'm willing to admit ha.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Tebow - 4 for 10, 79 yards yards and a TD.
Rodgers - 26 for 39, 396 yards and 2 TDs.

Tebow QBR - 83.2
Rodgers QBR- 82.1

But hey ESPN weighs heavily on the QB who contributes more to the win right?

I rest my case on QBR. :)
Right, let see, Rodger did what he was supposed to do as a starter. Tebow came in in the second half with his team down 13 points ran for a TD, passed for a TD and was driving his team to score before time ran out. The QBR rates QB for what the do to get their team a win. Just because a team does not win the QB should be penalized right? Because he's not doing his job. I'll keep that in mind the next time Rodgers has a good rating and the Packers lose.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I didnt read the qualifications or minimums on this rating system, but doesnt sound like there is any? If so it is flawed IMO

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
like I say, it's just a way to get them to jam Tebow down our throats just like they do Kolb, Vick, LeBron, Tiger Woods and so on.

ESPN picks the quarterbacks they want people to think are good. Tebow gets more media coverage than I bet John Elway got his entire career. That is pathetic.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
come back when he's played a full season against teams that have game planed for him

I find this whole slobbing over Tebow to be annoying at best. Orton hasn't been the one at fault, he's playing well as circumstances and schedule dictate. they are a bad team. Honestly he should have not nixed the deal to the Phins and let Denver wither on the vine with Tebow.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I didnt read the qualifications or minimums on this rating system, but doesnt sound like there is any? If so it is flawed IMO
So if it has a minimum of 15 passes per game and you have QB that consistently throws 14 passes a game with 12 completions, 150 yards, and 2 TD's he shouldn't qualify because his team has a better running game? But a guy who throws 16 passes a game with 8 completions 100 yards and 1 TD would qualify. Sound perfectly logical to me. After all, the one throwing 16 passes is helping his team more because he is throwing more passes.

What I believe they are trying to do with the QBR is to take the playing field for QB's and make it level. The current QB rating benefits QB's that throw the ball more and with a higher completion percentage. Which is fine. But what happens when you have a QB that throws the ball and makes plays with his legs? How many time have I heard people complain that Rodgers gets not credit for the TD's he runs in? I do believe some were complaining about it last week after the Denver game. The QBR takes that into consideration. Most don't like it because they can't duplicate it at home. So be it. But I don't know anyone here who won't be quoting it if Rodgers is at the top at the end of the year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I always like to include a running TD by a q/b...

I also dont like a q/b that throws the ball 5 yards and WR or RB runs it in for 85 yards and a TD

didnt Troy Aikman 2 years ago have a system like this?

Yes he still does...It is a fantasy contest...His way of figuring points for anyone is way different than what we are used to

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, let see, Rodger did what he was supposed to do as a starter. Tebow came in in the second half with his team down 13 points ran for a TD, passed for a TD and was driving his team to score before time ran out. The QBR rates QB for what the do to get their team a win. Just because a team does not win the QB should be penalized right? Because he's not doing his job. I'll keep that in mind the next time Rodgers has a good rating and the Packers lose.

Only if you promote winning in your formula :)

He had a 40% completion % No way thats better than Rodgers day (night)

TCHickman24

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He played OK and by OK he only completed 4 out of 10 passes. Compare that to Rodgers, compare to Brees, Brady, Rivers, and Fitzpatrick.

ESPN has some of the worst writers ever, and that's a proven fact at how they hyped up Kevin Kolb to be "the next Kurt Warner" and he flat out sucks in Arizona just like he did in Philadelphia. Just a week ago they had an article on Suh for the Lions saying how "he's already did more for this team than Barry Sanders did in a decade." For someone that hasn't even played for a few seasons, I don't see how they are already worth more than the one time all time leading NFL rusher. No disrespect to Suh, he's amazing, but I don't see how you can compare him to Barry like that when he was a record holder before Emmitt Smith became the NFL's all time leading rusher.

The problem with Tebow is, he still thinks this is college. Cam Newton grew up quick with a Hall of Fame quarterback patting him on the shoulder, telling him that throwing the ball is more important than running. Now Tebow don't have one of the greatest quarterbacks ever mentoring him, but he should know in the NFL it's a passing league and not a "Snap the ball, and take off running to the left hoping to pick up some yards." And when he throws, he's just not accurate. We'll see how he fairs against a crappy Dolphins team that will probably keep him between a 40-55% completion rate.

As much as I hated Newton for being an Alabama fan, I can't rag on him anymore. He's trying to do it with his arm and not legs. But I try to be easy on Cam, after learning one of my favorite quarterbacks of all time is mentoring him (And rumor has it that's why he wears the number 1) In times, I can see where Moon is mentoring him. Newton tries to escape pressure, throw it deep, air it out, but he also can run scrambling out of pressure. Some plays he really reminds me of being a little kid and watching Moon play deep ball stretching a defense out. I think the Panthers should make Moon quarterback coach for him eventually. For someone like me that hated me so much, I can't be ******* him and I'll be a good person and say I was wrong about him being a bust.

Tebow was a 3rd string quarterback for a reason, he just sucks. Watch and see, if he even finishes the season.

Rodgers is so far ahead of Tebow, I don't care what an ESPN writer says. They proved how stupid they were to me last year by comparing LeBron to Michael Jordan, and how I can forget how Tiger Woods is still the greatest golfer ever when he has sucked since proving how big a ****** bag he is to drag his kids and wife down with his affairs. They also think Kevin Kolb was the best ever.

ESPN is a HYPE MACHINE.

Think about Micheal Vick and the non stop "it's not his fault" "he's the greatest player EVER" and one I love the most "He is the most mobile quarterback in NFL history". Vick also has a bad reputation like Tiger Woods and LeBron, making him one of the most hated athletes, this means they will glorify him and make him out to be innocent no matter what. I've had people argue me that Vick is better than Steve Young, but I don't remember Young ever doing as bad as Vick, even when his go to guys were injured, Young played a lot harder, and through injuries.

Dang Bogart, tell us how you really feel

On a side note: Well said.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Only if you promote winning in your formula :)

He had a 40% completion % No way thats better than Rodgers day (night)
The problem is, you think of the promotion of winning as actually winning the game. They are using it as "attempting to win". Which for some reason seems to escape you as being important. Therefore any QB that does not win should never be above one that does win no matter what his QB rating is. In any system. Because if he didn't win, he didn't do enough.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem is, you think of the promotion of winning as actually winning the game. They are using it as "attempting to win". Which for some reason seems to escape you as being important. Therefore any QB that does not win should never be above one that does win no matter what his QB rating is. In any system. Because if he didn't win, he didn't do enough.

You know this for sure? I must have missed the reveled formula ... oh wait...

But really? 4 for 10? please defend that. Just that 4 passes are better than 26 blows my mind.

Side question, are you spending more time over on this forum in order to prepare to become a full fledged Packer fan after the Vikes move? seriously

Members online

Latest posts