1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Teaser - Big changes coming for PackerForum.com...

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Ryan, Sep 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Surely the new look will be slick ryan.
  2. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have a sliver of an image that I will repeat out and fill in with to the right of the main banner (aligned left). I am working on going back to that, but I want to get that repeating image looking a certain way first. If I change that banner cell to 80% it will distort the hell out of it at different resolutions?? If it's a fixed width of 800px then it will always remain clear and the size it was created.

If your resolution is set at 800x600 there wouldn't be any gaps :) It would be filled across your screen.

The gaps don't bother me, for now, as it's wasted space whether it's an image or blank, can't drop blocks up there (that I know of anyway, it may be possible, I just don't know how to yet) anyway.
  3. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    Well. Like I said though if you have the right image it can be pulled off. I had done it atleast two seperate occasions. However if you are happy with how it is there is no reason to fuss.

Looking forward to seeing it.
  4. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Just talked to one of my programmers here at work and I was thinking... I will make a cell with a faded "G" background that is 100,90% or something then align = center the image in the middle of that. That should keep our resident SV happy :) Plus keep my image in the middle as it looks funny tacked on the side at least until I can get my sliver fill image worked out to my liking.
  5. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:

lol i jus want the site to look as presentable as possible **** im talking like its mine...im sorry man ... i guess i see the packers as my team an this site to me is the packers

i dunno ill try to shuddit until asked upon lol
  6. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    No you are all good man. You always have good ideas (well most of the time anyway) I just sometimes don't have the time to try and impliment them all.

I don't want you (or anyone that makes a suggestion) to feel like I am ignoring them or that their idea wasn't good enough (it probably wasn't :p KIDDING), I just don't always have the time or means required to impliment everyone's suggestions.
  7. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    when do the changes come ryan?
  8. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Working on one last stupid bug, hopefully I will be able to change it over tonight. When you come to the site you will see a message that I am working on it. It should take about 10min or so and we'll be moved over. Then we will find the bugs!
  9. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just when some of us dummies figured out the current system.

1) If it is not Packer Green and Gold have a female review the colors. Guys just do not seem to appreciate tone, tint, and shade. (tone adds grey to a color, tint adds white, and shade adds black)

2) Have an idiot page. Some of old geezers were happy to get away from "shift" and "alt" keystrokes in a DOS world and use a mouse. Now youngsters make fun of me for depending on the mouse.

3) Archiving is the a big challenge. Some do not look past the first page of posts but I do like to go back to topics like draft, salary cap, signings(to try and figure cap), etc. Is is possible to break it down old topics by 7 general positions??

4) If you build it they will come. But there are no free lunches. While some may welcome some advertising to keep it "free" I would rather pay a bit to not have pop ups and junk clutter the site. That may be more of a hassle to set up than it is worth. I appreciate your work.

5) John Wayne once said "Change is usually for the better." Keep on moving forward.
  10. NCPackerfan

NCPackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice job, Ryan. I like the new look. Couple of questions. What happened to the smiley face thingies (emoticons?) in the reply area, and is there a reason you don't have an image of Sherman in the header (insert devilish smile)?
  11. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The "quick reply" box that you see under the posts doesn't have the programmed by default so I will have to work on that. I would like to see it there too.

If you want to use the smilies you have to do a full reply by hitting the "Post Reply" button and you will have everything you used to have. You can use bbcode to create them there (like a colon and paren : )) to create a smiley face etc. Colon and capital "P" to make the guy with his tounge sticking out etc.

Sherman's not sexy enough to make the Header :) plus P@ck66 would probably vomit on his keyboard and we don't want that :p
  12. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    So you find those six men sexy? Interesting I am removing my pic now.
  13. rabidgopher04

rabidgopher04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm sorry, but I don't really like this new look. I find it a little more difficult to use (no more "View your posts" link, forum is confined to a little space with all those side menus, no more "keep me logged in" checkbox, I suddenly have an avatar that I don't want, I can't get rid of the avatar, changing my profile is harder, no clear way to find the last posts I made).

I like the new header image though.

I know you put a lot of work into it so take my comments for what they're worth to you, but overall I'd say the forums took a step backward.
  14. NCPackerfan

NCPackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    rabid- you can minimize the side menu by clicking on the little Packer helmut above "Main menu"

For some reason, I'm no longer able to insert a quote into a reply. I highlight the quote, click "copy" and then click the quote box, but the only thing that appears is the word "quote". A little help please for a "low tech" like myself.
  15. rabidgopher04

rabidgopher04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nifty, that makes my day. :) Ah, much nicer.
  16. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    rabid. sorry to hear you are not liking the new look. I will do what I can to get things the way the majority likes them, thank you for pointing out things that you miss about the old site, I will do my best to get them implimented if I can.

There was a problem in changeing over that I seemed to have "lost" uploaded avatars. If you can tell me what your image was I can locate it and upload it for you. If you still have it and would like to upload yourself you can do so in your profile. To access your profile use the "User Info" menu on the left. Click on "My Account" then in the menu on the left titled "My Account Tools" click on "My Avatar". From there you can upload the Avatar of your choice.

Profile Page
    Change Avatar

When you are in your profile screen, the menu block I talked about above (My Account Tools) is really very powerful. You can administer your own account make changes to preferences, check your private message, manage you photo gallery, public profile, configurations etc. Everyone should check it out and see everything it does!

I will work on the "View your posts" link, I never used that so I didn't notice it was gone, as well as the check box to stay logged in.
  17. NCPackerfan

NCPackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ryan - My Avatar is still showing under "my account", but I don't know how to enable it (tried clicking the save button). In addition, I can't seem to insert a quote into a reply the way I used too. Sorry to be a pain.
  18. ORRELSE

ORRELSE Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ryan, all in all I love it!

It will look super when a new person comes to the site. It's real close to the nice site that "purple pride" has become. Vikings or not, that's a neat site.

I'm sure you have plans to add more links on the sidebar for other Packer content, right?

Keep up the SUPER work Ryan.
  19. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Not a problem at all. I was expecting to have some problems so I will answer everyone's questions as soon and as best as I can.

Avatar - You may have to save the image to your computer and just re upload it. Even though it's showing I am missing some routing information somewhere from the old site to tell the forum where to look for it. I will try it with mine when I get a chance. Or if yours works after you re upload it let me know. See my post a couple above this on where to go to upload the picture.

The syntax to quote should be the same
    Code:
    [quote]Text you wish to quote[/quote]
    Is that different from how you do it? Or are you saying you are missing a button or something along those lines?
  20. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    sure do. I had more on there but with the drama getting converted over... blah blah, they aren't there. If you have suggestions on something you would like to see there please send them on over. You can PM with them too.

Glad you are liking the new look btw.
  21. ORRELSE

ORRELSE Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My avatar is showing in my profile, but I resaved it to my computer and then put it into photobucket so I could link to it, but now I get a message saying it is too big. Did you change the size requirements during the switchover? Here it is if you can fix it.

[​IMG]
  22. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Great Job, Ryan. Sure there are a little kinks, and some things to get used to, but overall this is great. thanks a lot. you are the man.
  23. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ORR you should now be able to upload it to our server from your avatar page, or link to it from photobucket. I bumped the size settings up (they were set incorrect) as well turned on the ability to upload an image from your computer to be used as an avatar.
  24. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Trom we are working them out slowly but surely. Thank you for sticking it out and being patient!
  25. NCPackerfan

NCPackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    NCPackerfan wrote:
    Ryan - My Avatar is still showing under "my account", but I don't know how to enable it (tried clicking the save button). In addition, I can't seem to insert a quote into a reply the way I used too. Sorry to be a pain.

Not a problem at all. I was expecting to have some problems so I will answer everyone's questions as soon and as best as I can.

Avatar - You may have to save the image to your computer and just re upload it. Even though it's showing I am missing some routing information somewhere from the old site to tell the forum where to look for it. I will try it with mine when I get a chance. Or if yours works after you re upload it let me know. See my post a couple above this on where to go to upload the picture.

The syntax to quote should be the same Code:

Is that different from how you do it? Or are you saying you are missing a button or something along those lines?

The way I had been inserting quotes is as follows :

1. Hold mouse over text to quote, click and drag left button to highlight text.
    2. Right click, choose "copy".
    3. click on "quote" icon.

bingo! this usually inserted the quote into my reply, but now all I see is the word "quote". I can see others are still able to insert quotes, so I must be doing something wrong.

I also still can't figure out how to download or upload my avatar to reenable it. As I said, I know enough about computers to be dangerous.
    I know you have a lot more pressing matters with this changeover so it's no hurry getting me up to speed. I'm content for the time being just to post and discuss the Packers.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.