Teams you cheer for

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
My first residence in Germany was in a town in the Black Forrest. Back then there was not an internet and phoning back to home for sports news was a good way to heavily finance the Deutsche Bundespost. I quickly discovered that I was going to have to adapt. My local paper... (Schwarzwalder Bote)... would only write stories about VfB and the Kickers. It seemed obvious I would have to pick one or the other. A fateful decision as it turned out.

The high point was perhaps the 3rd game relegation playoff win versus St. Pauli at Schalke. We came up just short of staying in the Bundesliga because Moenchengladbach blew a big lead against SG Wattenscheid 09 on the last day. There was one appearance in the DFB Cup final... (which we lost... in Berlin to HSV if you recall).

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
----------

Bundesligasieg beim FC Bayern München
FC Bayern München – Stuttgarter Kickers – 1:4 (0:2)
Austragungsort Olympiastadion, München, 5. Oktober 1991, 35.000 Zuschauer
Aufstellung Claus Reitmaier; Jochen Novodomsky, Matthias Imhof, Thomas Ritter; Andreas Keim, Thorsten Wörsdörfer, Ralf Vollmer (88. Dimitrios Moutas), Alois Schwartz, Reinhold Tattermusch, Karel Kula, Marcus Marin (75. Thomas Richter)
Trainer Rainer Zobel
Tore 0:1 Kula (8.), 0:2 Marin (24.), 0:3 Keim (64.), 1:3 Wohlfarth (72.), 1:4 Moutas (90.)

Last edited:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
My first residence in Germany was in a town in the Black Forrest. Back then there was not an internet and phoning back to home for sports news was a good way to heavily finance the Deutsche Bundespost. I quickly discovered that I was going to have to adapt. My local paper... (Schwarzwalder Bote)... would only write stories about VfB and the Kickers. It seemed obvious I would have to pick one or the other. A fateful decision as it turned out.

The high point was perhaps the 3rd game relegation playoff win versus St. Pauli at Schalke. We came up just short of staying in the Bundesliga because Moenchengladbach blew a big lead against SG Wattenscheid 09 on the last day. There was one appearance in the DFB Cup final... (which we lost... in Berlin to HSV if you recall).

Deutsche Bundespost :eek: Thats Indeed only quite a few years ago :D
And I think it hasnt been such a bad decision to choose Kickers Stuttgart, could have been worse. You could have chosen KSC for example, or even VfB ;)
And how could I forget our last championship since more than 25 years :rolleyes: Just to be precise, it was 1987 and Germany was still divided. I was too young to do it myself but I know people who drove from Hamburg to Berlin to watch the game. Not a far distance (roundabout 300km) but you had to drive through the GDR these days. Adventurous ! :cool:

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Deutsche Bundespost :eek: Thats Indeed only quite a few years ago :D
And I think it hasnt been such a bad decision to choose Kickers Stuttgart, could have been worse. You could have chosen KSC for example, or even VfB ;)
And how could I forget our last championship since more than 25 years :rolleyes: Just to be precise, it was 1987 and Germany was still divided. I was too young to do it myself but I know people who drove from Hamburg to Berlin to watch the game. Not a far distance (roundabout 300km) but you had to drive through the GDR these days. Adventurous ! :cool:

A relative was stationed in the Brit part of Berlin, said the Eastern part pre 89'' was like a timewarp. :eek::speechless:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
A relative was stationed in the Brit part of Berlin, said the Eastern part pre 89'' was like a timewarp. :eek::speechless:
They have been at least 20 years behind of us these days, technically and economically. There are still some areas in Berlin where you can have a guess how it must have looked like these days though more and more old buildings and streets are replaced, PackerFan71.
But just remember you had to wait for more than 10 years to get your car and you finally got a Trabant ! Ridiculous.
Ooops, I think we are getting off topic here.... :oops::D

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score

I remember the Friedrichstrasse station. It was like you entered the subway in West Berlin in 1985 and got out in the East in 1955. (with the exception of a few diplomatic vehicles cruising Berlin Mitte).

But just remember you had to wait for more than 10 years to get your car and you finally got a Trabant ! Ridiculous.

Ooops, I think we are getting off topic here.... :oops::D

When I was working at the NDR in Hamburg, an intern offered me a ride home. He had a brand new shiny Trabant. His back luck was that he finally got it one week before the wall fell. He was quite defensive about it. "It's new... why shouldn't I keep it?" The crash test results would have been one argument. :D

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
They have been at least 20 years behind of us these days, technically and economically. There are still some areas in Berlin where you can have a guess how it must have looked like these days though more and more old buildings and streets are replaced, PackerFan71.
Ooops, I think we are getting off topic here.... :oops:
:D

Quite literally another country and world away now nessie, if i remember right they used to allow some kind of limited pass for people from the west to take a peek at the GDR. Back to Topic.

Snooker : CFC / HSV / Scotcshland / Germany
Handegg : The Pack

Veronica

Cheerleader
Reaction score
My favorite teams are The Green Bay Packers (NFL), Japan (World Football),

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

All Mitsubishi Lions (X-League Japan), British Columbia Lions (CFL),
Wisconsin Badgers (NCAA), and Wauwatosa East High Red Raiders .

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score

Did you have the Schwarzwälder bier or Badischer Wein? :D

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

NFL ; Green Bay Packers
EPL ; I like Everton but can`t admit it to my family (Liverpool supporters all !)
English championship ; Ipswich Town
Baseball ; Toronto Blue Jays
German football ; Mainz
Scottish football ; Inverness Caladonian Thistle
Italian football ; Inter Milan

Teams I hate with a passion.....West Ham United. Minnesota Vikings. Washington Redskins

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Teams I hate with a passion.....West Ham United. Minnesota Vikings. Washington Redskins

I've always considered the Hammers and Vikings somewhat too harmless to develop a passionate distaste for. Interesting choices. Big Sam has been a pain in the butt over the years. I am looking for Norv Turner to make drastic improvements to the Vikings.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I've always considered the Hammers and Vikings somewhat too harmless to develop a passionate distaste for. Interesting choices. Big Sam has been a pain in the butt over the years. I am looking for Norv Turner to make drastic improvements to the Vikings.

As a fan of Ipswich Town, I can still remember a semi-final of the F.A. Cup back in 1976 when those dirty SOB kicked my team to pieces all through the game. I have hated the "School of Football" Hammers ever since. Yes I can certainly carry a grudge ;).

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

What a miserable year. Nevermind the Chargers and City... the Tigers were swept by the Orioles. The B.C. Lions give up 50 points in the 1st round of the playoffs. Sri Lanka is crushed in the Cricket World Cup. The Sunrisers were awful. Richmond crashes out in Aussie Rules. The Red Wings will likely make the playoffs, but don't look like they'll get very far.

So almost everything is riding on the promotion of the Kickers to the 2. Bundesliga salvage a portion of glory for this sporting season.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cricket:
National Cricket: Support India. Don't exactly hate anyone.
IPL: Chennai Super Kings. Hate everyone else.

NFL:
Support Packers. Not exactly hate, but close to that come the Seahawks.

EPL:
Support Manchester United. Absolutely hate/detest Liverpool and Manchester City :D

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
You've actually have more to moan about that I do. :D At least you will after the Aussies win on Thursday.

RyanO4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL: Packers
NBA: Chicago Bulls
MLB: Chicago Cubs
NHL: Chicago Blackhawks
NCAA F and BBall: Fighting Illini

Born and raised in the Chicago area, but I never even thought about turning over to the dark side in the NFC North.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers
Alabama Crimson Tide (Football)
Duke Blue Devils (Basketball)
Golden State Warriors

I don't do Baseball or Hockey.

Canadian Packer Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm passionate about 3 sports

NFL : Green Bay Packers
Soccer : Southport (my hometown)
Cricket : Lancashire (my home County)

Then I have a passing interest in a few other sports

Rugby League : St Helens (the nearest team to my hometown)
Rugby Union : Lancashire (my home County)
MLB : Toronto Blue Jays (I have family who live there)
NHL : Toronto Maple Leafs (see above)

I'll also happily watch just about any other sport on tv, and enjoy it, with the exception of basketball which is deadly dull and utterly pointless .............. actually there are far too many points, that's one of the main problems.
Leafs, oh boy.

For me it's Packers, Badgers and not that much else.

King of Jeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLB: Toronto Blue Jays
NHL: Toronto Maple Leafs
NFL: Green Bay Packers
CFL: Hamilton Tiger-Cats
MLS: Toronto FC
EPL: Arsenal FC
NBA: Minnesota Timberwolves
NCAAF: Oregon Ducks
NLL: Toronto Rock