TE prospects

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So... Who you guys eyeing up in the draft?
I know better than to eye any particular players, because we never ever take the guys I want.
I wanted Jerry Hughes in 2010.
I wanted Arthur Brown this year.

I never had my eye on Nick Perry or Datone Jones, or certainly not Mike Neal or James Jones or Jeron McMillian.

But I will say this, as I said it last year: WE NEED BETTER SAFETIES and ILB's.
And we really need another big TE target. I thought this before Finley went down. I don't like any of these other TEs.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know better than to eye any particular players, because we never ever take the guys I want.
I wanted Jerry Hughes in 2010.
I wanted Arthur Brown this year.

I never had my eye on Nick Perry or Datone Jones, or certainly not Mike Neal or James Jones or Jeron McMillian.

But I will say this, as I said it last year: WE NEED BETTER SAFETIES and ILB's.
And we really need another big TE target. I thought this before Finley went down. I don't like any of these other TEs.

I have been meaning to start a thread about having a great TE.

Rivers has a great one
Romo does too
Brees..
Manning...
Ryan...
Brady

Most elite QBs in the league (the guys above while not all elite hover in the top 10 of QBs) have a great TE. Rodgers has never had that. While we can say Finley had the ability he never put together a complete season. I think an elite TE could do wonders to this offense that has at times struggled.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been meaning to start a thread about having a great TE.

Rivers has a great one
Romo does too
Brees..
Manning...
Ryan...
Brady

Most elite QBs in the league (the guys above while not all elite hover in the top 10 of QBs) have a great TE. Rodgers has never had that. While we can say Finley had the ability he never put together a complete season. I think an elite TE could do wonders to this offense that has at times struggled.
Your ELITE TE's you mentioned:
Packers could have had Gronkowski and Graham as neither was a 1st round pick.
Packers could have had Tony Gonzalez.
Packers could have had Julius Thomas as he was a day-3 draft pick. I wouldn't call him elite though, and in fact Jermichael Finley was better than he was.....

I've just never ever seen anything in any of these other handful of TE's we have to make me think we have a guy at TE who defenses have to account for.

Here's an early Mock Draft Pick for the Packers next year.
First round pick, they have us taking:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Green Bay Packers: Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech

With Jermichael Finley heading for free agency (or disability), Green Bay could grab a replacement. Jace Amaro has been fantastic this year, and he's the top tight end if he leaves Texas Tech.

Troy Nikolas from Notre Dame is THE MAN that I want. I saw him play in person this year here in the Jerry Dome vs ASU and he was a man among boys. He showed big soft hands, and just was too big and strong to handle.
He's raw, like Jimmy Graham was for the Saints. But he's stronger than Graham, not as fast probaby.

Here are a few things about Nikolas (again, I have to learn NOT to get my hopes up on any player because we never ever take the guy I want!)

http://www.csnchicago.com/notre-dame/troy-niklas-becoming-elite-weapon-notre-dame
Troy Niklas becoming elite weapon for Notre Dame
In just his second year playing the position, the 6-foot-7, 270-pound guy nicknamed "Hercules" has developed into a matchup nightmare in the end zone.

"I've just been trying to work as hard as I can to develop as a tight end," Niklas said after Notre Dame's 14-10 win over USC. "I want to be the best, so just practicing, I've been doing well in practice and the coaches have noticed that, and they want to throw me the ball."

Against Arizona State, he boxed out 5-foot-11, 195-pound safety Alden Darby for a touchdown, looking like a power forward grabbing a rebound over a point guard.
<THAT was the game, play, I saw in person. He's like a power forward being guarded by a point guard, or shooting guard. HERCULES is a good nickname for him.
"I think I'm good right now, but I think there's another level I can reach," he said.

This guy reminds me a little bit of the big man Rob Gronkowski of the Patriots, only a little bit more mature.

Notre Dame's Niklas is intimidating tight end
http://bostonherald.com/sports/coll.../notre_dames_niklas_is_intimidating_tight_end

Man of Troy
Junior Troy Niklas seeks to become the next in a line of legendary Irish tight ends
http://www.ndsmcobserver.com/polopoly_fs/1.3059808!/image/2768915162.jpg
In Notre Dame’s home opener against Temple, Niklas caught a pass in the seam near the end of the first half. With only one man to beat — a defensive back nearly a foot smaller than him — Niklas planted a hard step to his left then cut around the safety, rumbling untouched for a 66-yard touchdown.

Then last week at the Big House, senior quarterback Tommy Rees rolled out on a play-action pass, finding Niklas about five yards short of the goal line. Niklas made the catch, then ran straight over Wolverines safety Jarrod Wilson for the score, keeping the Irish in the game.

That combination of speed and power — especially on Niklas’ 6-foot-7, 270 pound frame – presents a Herculean challenge for any defense.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need offensive and defensive linemen. I would looking to that in any high round picks.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This draft is pretty deep in the tight end department. That said, I will be very disappointed if we use our higher than usual first pick on one of them. Yes, Ebron and Jace are very impressive, but it's not that often we have a sub-20 pick. We can't blow that on a TE when we can get a good one in round 2 or 3.

It would not shock me to see one of the big 3 (Ebron, Amaro, Sefarian-Jenkins) slip to us in the middle of the 2nd. If and only if that is the case would I support our drafting a TE with a pick this early. If none of these men are there for us in the middle of the 2nd, then we can wait and take one in the 3rd. CJ Fiedorowicz will likely be there for our 3rd pick. Xavier Grimble might also be worth a look in the 4th or so.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Ebron Fiedo, Lynch, etc. Later rounds I like Pederson, Leonard, Rodgers, Bolser, maybe Anderson or Freil.

Most of the best TE got picked in the 3rd anyway.

Latest posts