TE Jermichael Finley from Scouts.inc

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Scouts Grade: 66
6'4", 243, 4.82

Strengths: Has good top-end speed, does a nice job of exploiting seams between safeties and linebackers and can stretch the field. Tracks the ball well, has excellent body control and flashes the ability to make the spectacular catch. Times jumps well, fights for the ball while it's in the air and excels in jump-ball situations. Uses body to shield defenders from the ball and flashes the ability to make touch catches in traffic. Shows good awareness and does a nice job of staying in bounds when running routes along the back of the end zone. Changes directions well and has the burst to develop into a crisp short-to-intermediate route-runner. Has big hands and doesn't drop many passes should catch. Flashes the ability to make the first defender miss, flashes the ability to pick up yards after contact and is capable of producing after the catch. Keeps head up and uses downfield blockers. Takes sound angles to assignments and can get into position at the second level.

Weaknesses: Gets adequate hand placement but fails to deliver a violent initial punch and isn't going to knock many defenders back at the point of attack. Plays with a mean streak and flashes the ability to sustain blocks hasn't shown great lower body strength and struggles to drive defenders off the ball. Undersized and is going to have problems anchoring when asked to help out in pass protection. Rounds too many cuts off and isn't a fundamentally sound route runner at this point. Lacks ideal starting experience and is still somewhat raw.

Overall: Finley redshirted his first year at Texas (2005). In 2006, he appeared in all 13 games (including four starts when the Longhorns opened in a two-tight end set), posting 31 receptions for 372 receiving yards (12.0 average) and three touchdowns. In 2007, he started all 13 games and finished the season with 45 receptions for 575 receiving yards and two touchdowns.Finley is a fairly one-dimensional pass-catching tight end at this point but he has enormous potential. He has the speed and athletic ability to develop into a big-play receiver and the frame to develop into an adequate blocker in space as an H-back type. As a result, Finley projects as a late-second or third round pick.

OP
OP
A

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like a Antonio Gates-type and should be a nice second to Lee. Needs to get better at blocking though.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ran a much quicker 40 at his pro day..4.65

I like the way this draft is shaping up. I was pissed initially after the Nelson pick but after doing some more research, it looks pretty dang good right now.

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yea hes a really good recieving te and had the built to get better at blocking which is not is strength right now

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I recall the Packers being really high on him pre-draft and at the combine. I think it's a good complement to Lee and Humphrey. Getting Rodgers some more weapons can't hurt...

bakler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't there an article about a month ago about finley saying how happy he would be if the packers took him?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'll be the youngest Packer ever or so I heard on TV.

He's 21 years old. When Lee turns 30, Finley will still be a young guy.

This one is growing on me. It made a lot of sense right away but this pick is starting to grow on me even more. I think he could really develop one day.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
When I think it is all said an done.. this very well might be a pick we look back on as maybe the best pick overall in this draft in terms of where he selected him..

Kid sounds like a real spit fire of energy and effort.. excellent pick to help in the passing game to put pressure on the safeties and center of the field.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts