Tank Johnson: A Packer?

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Armchair GM's, would you pick up Tank after the suspension. He was due $520K this year, he'd play the last half the season...well probably less than that getting into football shape. He'd be cheap but he'd give you an instant shot in the arm on D. Are his character issues correctable? Would you roll the dice on him as a Packer?

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
A couple of thought from this armchair GM...

DL is our deepest position is the first thought that comes to mind.

He could be utilized for knowledge of the Bears D.

Character issues and staying out of trouble would probably turn me away for the benefit of the 8 games and knowledge he would bring.

Plus really how good is he or did he benefit from Tommy Harris moreso. The D started to nosedive after Harris went down.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Armchair GM's, would you pick up Tank after the suspension. He was due $520K this year, he'd play the last half the season...well probably less than that getting into football shape. He'd be cheap but he'd give you an instant shot in the arm on D. Are his character issues correctable? Would you roll the dice on him as a Packer?

No way would I pick this guy up if I was G.M. Defensive line is a position of depth on this team, especially considering they just took a DT with their first round pick in the draft...you also have to remember that the Packers will continue to put Cullen Jenkins at the DT spot when KGB is on the field at DE.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would think they would be leery of signing Tank Johnson due to the character concerns, but then again he does meet the two primary criteria of being added to the Packers roster.

1. He plays defense.
2. He doesn't cost us any draft picks.
Probably a good chance we'll see him in Green & Gold at some point this season.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have enough defensive linemen.

Or wait... you can never have enough defensive linemen. I don't know, I'm just considering it cuz he's cheap.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not like he has had only one mess up. He's a cronic pain in the butt.
NOT worth going after in my view.
And I don't think Ted would sign him if he came for FREE.
He isn't worth the headache.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Highly unlikely. It would be a long shot even if we weren't loaded at DT given Tank's inability to stay sober. Just changing uniform colors isn't going to change the personality. Now technicly, I believe he was under the legal limit for booze, but he had caused so much trouble for the Bears previously that they wanted no more of him. And it had to be a tough decision for them because they had lost 2 backup DTs to other clubs. Now if we suffer some injury losses to the DL, the club may well consider him. Business is business.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The one big positive would be that he'd play one game(I believe) againest DaBears, which he would probably relish. He played high school ball here in the valley so I'd like to see him succeed somewhere. Still a local guy, too. It always makes me sad to see such talent wasted. Vick, however, is the big exception. Certain sins are not forgiveable.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts