Tampa - Chris Havel - PackersNews Premium

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted Sep. 26, 2005
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Chris Havel

Defense is fine; everyone else must get better

For a quarterback just off a three-interception performance, Brett Favre was right on the money in his postgame news conference on Sunday afternoon. “Yeah, I feel like I let the team down,â€

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll say this --- Jim Bates skillset for Coaching is sort of somewhat legendary already... Sherman had better start adding 1 + 1 and it damn sure better equal 2 or else... Because as the Season progresses.. we may end up with the beginnings of a Ravens Defense mindset and NO OFFENSE to speak of....

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One more on Master Bates..... I would love to have him as HC,,, He is a real coach, strong energetic with an strange ability to get the best from the worst, he seems capapble to drain blood from a stone,, it isnot strange that most of the guys who played for him say that they will play for him anytime anywhere...

We where supposed to have a good, dependable ofense and a very weak and bad defense.... Bates is getting the best from the worst..

Bucfan219

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some coaches are better assistant coaches than they are head coaches.

I don't know about Bates. Certainly he's an excellent defensive coach. He got a little bit of time as the head coach at Miami when Wannstedt was fired, IIRC. Probably not enough time to serve as a reliable barometer.

Ray Rhodes, I think, functions better as a defensive coordinator than as a head coach.
Same goes for Richard Williamson (former Bucs head coach, current Panthers receivers coach, IIRC).

I don't think that Mike Sherman is one of the top ten coaches in the league. That's just my opinion. I'm not sure that Jim Bates would be an improvement, however.

That said, the Packers have a good offensive scheme and now a good defensive coordinator. If I were running your team I'd give the coaches a pass for this year. They get a little bit of a knock because your secondary is underachieving. The offensive is mostly hampered by untimely injury and losing two good offensive guards to the salary cap.

It's no fun to lose, but the Packers should be in good shape with a talent upgrade in the secondary and on the offensive line.

I still think that Ahman Green is solid, but it may be time to start grooming a replacement.
Patience, Packerfans.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts