Syd'Quan Thompson (CB, Cal)

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I live in northern california and was able to watch almost every single Cal game, and this guy is a missle. His run support is excellent and he is probably the most physical corner in this class. Take a look. Should still be on the board in the 3rd or 4th round.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMk77JUWmw0]YouTube - CB Syd'Quan Thompson Highlights/Lowlights 2009 California[/ame]

Thompson emerged as one of the nation's top cornerbacks as a junior, ranking third in the Pac-10 with 18 passes defended, including a career-high four interceptions in earning first-team All-Pac-10 honors.
Thompson had 10 passes defended and one interception in 2009 and was an All-Pac-10 pick. Started all 52 games in his career and had 257 tackles, 36 passes broken up (a school record) and seven interceptions. Lacks size, but Thompson is aggressive in run support and has no problem attacking the line of scrimmage as his 20 career tackles for loss indicate. He doubles as a punt returner for the Golden Bears, averaging 10.8 yards per return over the past two years and retuned one punt 73 yards for a touchdown against Colorado State in 2008. Smaller than scouts would like, but in a 2010 class of cornerbacks long on potential and short on production, Thompson won't be overlooked.

Analysis

Read & React: Alert, diagnoses the action quickly. Reacts quickly to wide receiver screens and see plays develop in the running game. Aggressive to jump routes with the agility and straight-line speed to recover from missteps.

Man Coverage: Flashes a good initial jam at the line of scrimmage. Smooth in his backpedal and can turn and run with receivers in man coverage. Good lateral agility. Shows an explosive burst to close on the ball with good technique in deep coverage. Squeezes the receiver toward the sideline and plays the ball. Rarely flagged for pass interference in three years as a starter.

Zone Coverage: Plays with better physicality than expected for his size. Good read-and-react skills. Can read the quarterback and make a play on the ball when in zone coverage. Good agility to change direction. Efficient and reliable open-field tackler.

Closing/Recovery: Very good straight-line speed to recover if beaten initially. Explosive burst to close. Competitive. Will fight for the jump ball and rip passes out of the hands of receivers. Showed improved hands as a junior (four interceptions), but only has six career picks despite his talent for breaking on the ball (30 passes broken up in 39 starts).

Run Support: Secure open-field tackler with no hesitation in the running game. Fights through receiver blocks and quickly darts past offensive linemen to tackle backs close to the line of scrimmage.

Tackling: A scrappy tackler who flashes physicality, though he isn't a true heavy hitter. No issues with taking on bigger ballcarriers and is an effective wrap-up tackler who targets the knees.
Intangibles: Lacks the size NFL scouts prefer for the position, but is a natural playmaker with the secure hands, elusiveness and burst as cornerback and returner in the NFL. Earned a second-round grade from NFL scouts last year. Four-year starter with no games lost to injury. High-effort defender with no known off-field issues. Comparison to Jones is strictly based on size and athletic ability as a cornerback and returner. NFL Comparison: Adam "Pacman" Jones

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. Comparison to Pacman Jones, in terms of ability, is a great one. Despite all the problems, he could flat out play.

I liked what I saw in vid. He's raw, but the instincts are there.

I'm starting to believe we should NOT get a CB early. There'll be a lot of great guys later on, guys that could eventually start on our team.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He goes against the Packers' long time philosophy of drafting taller cornerbacks. While Thompson is a tremendous athlete no doubt, he's still 5'9 which could really hurt his chances of being on our team.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But in that logic you can pretty much exclude Kyle Wilson...

Pretty much yeah. TT has a history of drafting corners in the 5'11 range due to his predecessor Ron Wolf's theory of identifying developmental corners. I never said Thompson nor Wilson are bad players, rather they won't have a home in Green Bay.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They'll go to Indianapolis, then.

Polian have already said that he doesn't care about CB height, because it's only important in jump balls, and jump balls happens twice per game tops.

He does have a big problem with QB height, though.

OP
OP
C

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He could easily be our nicker cornerback, and nickel receivers are usually shorter in stature and more of possession guys, I think he would work great at that spot, therefore allowing Charles Woodson to stay on their number 1 receiver all game.
I think excluding a player from your board based on a height measurable is naive and foolish, you are passing up proven talent. Think about Drew Brees, less than a 6 feet tall at the quarterback position is the same sort of scenario, but he just won a super bowl and is one of the most prolific quarterbacks in the league right now.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He could easily be our nicker cornerback, and nickel receivers are usually shorter in stature and more of possession guys, I think he would work great at that spot, therefore allowing Charles Woodson to stay on their number 1 receiver all game.
I think excluding a player from your board based on a height measurable is naive and foolish, you are passing up proven talent. Think about Drew Brees, less than a 6 feet tall at the quarterback position is the same sort of scenario, but he just won a super bowl and is one of the most prolific quarterbacks in the league right now.

They could work at nickel or dime, but what about 3-4 years down the road? Will TT draft for the sake of having them for one year at the nickel or dime spot or have them at nickel or dime so they can move up to a starting spot in the future the same way that Tramon did?

OP
OP
C

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well if he is as good at zone coverage as the scouts say he is, I think he works perfect for our scheme. Plus I'm pretty sure he is a pretty good blitzer. I mean I am hoping we will have Charles for 3 more years at the most, Tramon will slide into the other starting corner spot once Al has left, which I imagine will be after this year. Syd'quan or whoever it be (Lee, Underwood) will be nickel, then one of those 3 will become dime, and whoever is left can battle it out with Blackmon/Ford/Bell

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well if he is as good at zone coverage as the scouts say he is, I think he works perfect for our scheme. Plus I'm pretty sure he is a pretty good blitzer. I mean I am hoping we will have Charles for 3 more years at the most, Tramon will slide into the other starting corner spot once Al has left, which I imagine will be after this year. Syd'quan or whoever it be (Lee, Underwood) will be nickel, then one of those 3 will become dime, and whoever is left can battle it out with Blackmon/Ford/Bell

He'll be a nickel or dim for a year or two but what about for the long term? Would you like to see him matched up against calvin johnson?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'll be a nickel or dim for a year or two but what about for the long term? Would you like to see him matched up against calvin johnson?
C. Johnson is 6'5". What's the difference in aligning him with a 6'0 guy or a 5'9 guy???? Both will lose the jump ball, if they're not positioned correctly.

I think it's much more important strenght and weight than height to a CB...

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally feel we can upgrade in the draft, and at least 2 out of the 3 (Blackmon/Ford/Bell) will be gone before the 1st game of the season. Hell.......cut Bush to.

OP
OP
C

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally feel we can upgrade in the draft, and at least 2 out of the 3 (Blackmon/Ford/Bell) will be gone before the 1st game of the season. Hell.......cut Bush to.

I'd cut Bush before any of the other guys to be honest. He just isn't comfortable when the ball is in the air, can't have that for a DB.

Members online

Latest posts