Superbowl 2008 and beyond

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is a question I want to pose for the group. Can we win the Superbowl next year with Brett?

Towards the end of the game with decent protection and great WRs he slipped into his 2006 struggles trying to do it all himself. I stilll believe he is one of the top QBs in the league and in a weak NFC he can get us to the NFC Championship game. But are we stuck at that ceiling until he leaves?

Obviously we all know that Brett is not the Brett from the '90s. We also know that he had a GREAT year this year. But, when the pressure is on in the big game can he pull through?

I never thought I would hear myself say this, but . . . I am beginning to doubt it.

What do we do if that is the case?

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robin Yount said:
Here is a question I want to pose for the group. Can we win the Superbowl next year with Brett?

Towards the end of the game with decent protection and great WRs he slipped into his 2006 struggles trying to do it all himself.

Obviously we all know that Brett is not the Brett from the '90s. We also know that he had a GREAT year this year. But, when the pressure is on in the big game can he pull through?

I never thought I would hear myself say this, but . . . I am beginning to doubt it.

What do we do if that is the case?

First of all, I almost discount this game towards what can happen next year and beyond. I say that b/c the gameplan was absolutely terrible today. I'm not saying McCarthy is a bad coach either. I'm glad he got an extension b/c he does a good job. Everyone has a bad day here and there and this happened to be for a majority of the team today including our head coach.

What happened to the slant? What happened to **** and dunk? What happened to utilizing the middle of the field on short crosses, etc? The Packers didn't resemble what had gotten them there. I think McCarthy did a great job all season but, for some reason, got away with what made this team successful.

3rd and 3 and he calls a WR screen behind the line of scrimmage, asking the receiver to pick up about 6-7 yards after the catch, just to get the first down? Where the hell has that been this season? OK, enough rambling...just frustrated.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yount...I completely agree...it seems like when the pressure is on, Favre has more often than not reverted back to 'evil brett' The cowboys and the last 20 minutes of this game are examples. I'm not saying Brett lost the game at all, but my confidence in him to manage the team when the heat is on is certainly declining.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Favre can still help us to another Lombardi Trophy however it would have to be with proper play calling and adjustments on both sides of the ball.
I believe Brett's window closes next year but I believe the Packer window is open for a number of years to come.

OP
OP
R

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why wouldn't we sign Aaron Rodgers to a long term extension now? I think he had a 5 year contract with us. That would mean 2009 is the last year of his contract.

My fear would be that he goes to free agency and a team that needs a QB is willing to pay way too much for him and at the very least that brings up the amount we pay.

After next year Brett can't have many years left at all, no matter what he says. Other than Rodgers we don't know what else would be out there. It would be a big risk to wait and see.

I am assuming Rodgers is the future. We should assure him of that and lock him up at a low rate.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, it was Brett Favre's fault the Giants only allowed 28 yards total rushing. If Aaron Rodgers had been QB, Ryan grant would have had 200 yards and Brandon Jackson would have added 100 yards.

Let's put all the blame on the QB, because after all, it's his fault if the OL doesn't open up holes for the running game.

28 yards rushing. Admit it, the Giants were a better team yesterday. Their D was too much. How about instead of giving blame, give credit where it's due? The Giants earned the win.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im not blaming the loss on any one person... but for you people who keep saying the run game was bad and that the oline didnt perform... your just wrong.

the run game was bad, but the Giants were sending more people in the box than we could block for. thats not the oline fault. They blocked really well actually, and gave Brett plenty of time. No team in the world can run when there are more people attacking the run than there are people to block.

The real problem was that the recievers, the coaches and SHOCK AND AWE !!! the quarterback... didnt get the job done when theoretically it would have been an easy day.

The recievers did not do a good job of getting open...

The Coaches called screens that didnt work, and didnt put us in good shape most of the game.

And hold on to your hats folks....when the WR were open Brett often missed them.

When the run game gets stopped like that, it should open up the passing game... however our guys as a team didnt step up and perform when we needed it most. and because of that we didnt score our 30 points and lost.

Bottom line is... cold weather and wind makes this team pretty one dimensional and it showed sunday night. we will be back... with or without brett.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im not blaming the loss on any one person... but for you people who keep saying the run game was bad and that the oline didnt perform... your just wrong.

the run game was bad, but the Giants were sending more people in the box than we could block for. thats not the oline fault. They blocked really well actually, and gave Brett plenty of time. No team in the world can run when there are more people attacking the run than there are people to block.

The real problem was that the recievers, the coaches and SHOCK AND AWE !!! the quarterback... didnt get the job done when theoretically it would have been an easy day.

The recievers did not do a good job of getting open...

The Coaches called screens that didnt work, and didnt put us in good shape most of the game.

And hold on to your hats folks....when the WR were open Brett often missed them.

When the run game gets stopped like that, it should open up the passing game... however our guys as a team didnt step up and perform when we needed it most. and because of that we didnt score our 30 points and lost.

Bottom line is... cold weather and wind makes this team pretty one dimensional and it showed sunday night. we will be back... with or without brett.

Packnic - Me saying the run game was bad was more giving credit to the Giants D than saying our OL played poorly. The Giants beat us, plain and simple. We can point fingers until there's no tomorrow, but yesterday, the Giants were a better team.

If the Giants bring that same team with that same ferocity to the SB, they might be able to pull off an upset.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will be going next year, we'll be in the hunt and if we're lucky the Patriots will have imploded by then, their team seems very short-termish...

eap33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic - Me saying the run game was bad was more giving credit to the Giants D than saying our OL played poorly. The Giants beat us, plain and simple. We can point fingers until there's no tomorrow, but yesterday, the Giants were a better team.

I finally got the nerve up last night to go into my Tivo menu and re-watch the game. As I'm watching the first run play of the game, I noticed one thing immediately: Colledge gave up on his block and his man made the tackle. I started watching Colledge more and more and noticed that he AND Spitz were just letting up and not playing every play all the way through. The ball that got swatted down, Colledge let off his block, which freed up Tuck's arms and he was able to disrupt the play. Yes, Grant got blown up on the play anyway, but the point is that I watched Colledge and Spitz give up on multiple blocks and I only watched the first quarter!

I say we go after a new G or two from either FA or the draft. We need some savage G's to compliment Tauscher and Clifton.

Members online

Latest posts