Super Bowl Questions

chaburns43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For most of us under the age of 20 having a team in a championship is as foreign World Series is to Cubs’ fans. Like any new thing it comes with a lot of unknowns, so I found the answers to some questions that I was wondering myself.
Q: Is this the most important game in Packer history?
A: In the past the packers have won championships in phases. To me there are three clear era’s of greatness, each with certain games that stand out
-1929-1944- in this span the packers won three titles by being first in the league standings (1929-1931), and three championships (’36, ‘39, and ’41). They lost in 1938. This started things off for title town, but since their first title was won by leading the standings there isn’t one game that could be classified as the biggest.

-1960-1967- they started this era with a championship loss in 1960, but won in ’61,’62,’65, ’66,and ’67. This was the Bart Starr, Vince Lombardi, Ray Nitchke, Jerry Kramer classic Packers’ era. I would say that the most important game of this era was the ’67 “Ice Bowl” against the Cowboys. It was Lombardi’s last game at Lambeau, the packers won in dramatic fashion, it was really freaking cold, and it effectively won them the Super Bowl (this was the NFL championship, and at the time the NFL champion played the winner of the AFL championship, in the Super Bowl, but the AFL was an expansion league only seven years in the making, so generally the NFL was a better league)

-1996-1997- the Packers won the super bowl in ’96, and lost in ’97 behind Brett Favre. They could have won more championships in years to come, but there were too many great quarterbacks in the game at the time (Elway, Young, Bledsoe, Marino, Aikman to name a few) and Brett Favre’s gunslinger nature (not to be cliché or anything) came back to bite him in the butt year after year. The most important game of this era was the 1996 Super Bowl because that officially brought back Title Town USA after a 29-year drought.
This game could ring in a new era for the Pack, but I don’t think it’s the most important game ever. Even if they lose it won’t change the fact that they are a young extremely talented team with a potentially legendary quarterback. Any championship game is important, but if they lose it wouldn’t be detrimental to the future of the Pack.
Q: is it Aaron Rodger’s most important game?
A: this is the biggest game Aaron Rodgers has played in his career. We said that last week when it was the NFC championship, and he had a very cutlerish performance (cutlerish- adj, 1. Average, not memorable). Aaron Rodgers is going to be a great quarterback his will bounce back in a big way. the game is in a dome, which A-rod loves, and the weather will be perfect for throwing the ball. We couldn’t have asked for better conditions.
Q: should we care about what Brett Favre has to say?
A: absolutely not. As far as I’m concerned there are two Brett Favre’s. Pre-2008 Brett and post 2008 Brett. Pre-’08-Brett’s opinion matters. He’s a Packers’ legend, who has led us to two Super Bowls, won one of them, and won 3 MVP’s while wearing the green and gold. Post-’08-Brett is just another player in a league of 32 teams who had one good season. As far as I’m concerned Pre-Brett is dead, but by actually retiring he took the first step in reviving Pre-Brett, but he’s still a long way away. Since he’s just another player, his opinion doesn’t matter at all. In fact I don’t even know why I’m talking about him. Forget I said anything.
Q: What Super Bowl memorabilia is worth buying?
A: I like to base this decision on one question: if 50 years from now I showed it to my grand kids would they think it was cool? If they answer is yes, and it’s not outrageously priced, go ahead and buy it. This eliminates anything like commemorative shoe laces and Super Bowl XLV deodorant. If you want something to remember the season by you can’t go wrong with a t-shirt or hat.
Q: Super Bowl party: yes or no?
A: it’s a gamble. If your team wins (knock on wood), then your already in a celebratory environment, but if your team loses things usually get a little awkward. The casual fans are going to want the party go on, but most people are going to be devastated and will want to go home and sleep for the next 18 hours. I would say watch the game with a tight group of the same level of fandom.
Q: who has the edge in the quarterback battle?
A: the general consensus on blogs and such is that the passing attacks of these two teams is pretty even, although I read somewhere that since Roethlisberger has played in three super bowls in the past he will be used to the amount of paint on the super bowl balls, which gives him an edges, but then again that’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard, so who knows really? Two really good quarterbacks will be squaring off with two really good receiving corps and pretty good offensive lines. The Steelers’ defense was so successful against the jets because they confused Mark Sanchez with their blitz packages, but Aaron Rodgers is one of the best quarterbacks at preparing for games, and very intelligent to begin with, so I don’t think that will be a problem. Roethlisberger is a threat outside of the packet, but throws the ball better than any quarterback in the NFL who is that mobile. The secondaries of both teams are solid, but the weakest corner on either team is Bryant McFadden, on the Steelers. Both quarterbacks will be very efficient, but will just depend on who plays the better game.

i wrote this for my highschool news paper. comments?

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That is a lot of questions. You will get answers from all different age groups. I saw my first Packer game in 1958, so I figure I have watched or listened to over 700 games. I will give you some answers later from an old timer's prospective. Nice job, son.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice post, I am 23 and barely remember the SB GB actually won, and only remember Elway making me cry after the 2nd appearance. Haha

Members online

Latest posts