Studs n Duds Packers vs Falcons:Back on Horse Edition

greenNyellow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dud: Bush and House for still flying into the ball and popping it, allowing an extra 7 or 8 yards and getting Atlanta our of the shadows of their own end zone.

Yeah what in the hell were they doing? I couldn't believe my eyes.. Masthay did a great job and the ball was dead at the one however these idiots come flying in with all the momentum for no reason. I thought it was a touch back on replay.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
That's your opinion. To some players, the negative emotion might be motivating. Not every player is going to respond positively to the "don't worry guys, its going to be okay" fan approach after 5 weeks of which it is clearly not okay.

In any event, again, you have 80,000 fans. Asking restraint from all is unrealistic. They paid and they aren't obligated to restrain all emotion as long as they adhere to the stadium code of conduct. Its just part of sports. Sorry, but no team has, or ever was, above it. Some fans are much more restrained than fans like Philly and New York, and I believe we fall into that more restrained category. I don't hold some sort of false illusion that we should realistically expect a crowd of 80,000 people to either cheer or remain silent when losing 21-10 at home against a 3 win team during an already existing 5 game winless streak.

Well, it used to be that Packer fans considered themselves above the boorishness of the run of the mill fan. It used to be that Packer fans set the bar for all other teams. It used to be that Green Bay was always home field advantage. I remember how people booed and even threatened Rodgers. In my opinion, that's classless. The small town, apple pie image is tarnished by the new entitled society, IMHO.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Yeah what in the hell were they doing? I couldn't believe my eyes.. Masthay did a great job and the ball was dead at the one however these idiots come flying in with all the momentum for no reason. I thought it was a touch back on replay.
If you recorded it, watch it again. With HD and "extra" slow motion I thought it was obvious both players avoided touching the ball.

Both were racing to get to the ball because they couldn't be sure it wasn't headed for the end zone. If they both would have stopped and the ball rolled into the end zone, some Packers fans no doubt would have been screaming about how idiotic they were for not downing it before it went into the end zone.

Also, try running full speed while evading world class athletes who would like to 'take your head off' and then stop on a dime. IMO both did well to be in position to stop it rolling into the EZ and then in avoiding touching the ball. Bush has been one of the best gunners in the league for some time.

BTW, green and yellow? That's something a Bears fan acquaintance says to me to denigrate the Packers. Just say'n.

Last edited:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But who do we have to fill Ross' shoes?

thought it would be Franklin but he's even worse as a kick returner. Might have to bring someone in off the street...i thought TT shoulda went after Ted Ginn when he was let go by san Fran but he didn't.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets see....travel across the state in avg car, round trip - $48
park in lambeau - $30
tickets for 4 people - $1000
food for tailgating - $150
adult beverages - $50
snacks/beverages during game - $70

That comes to $1,348, and that's on the reasonable side. Not mad yet that you have paid this to see them down 21-10 at half to a 3 win dome team at home while on a 5 game skid that resembles the Jaguars?

Sorry there is plenty of gas in that boo tank. LOL

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If they were idiots, what would you have done differently?

H

HardRightEdge

Ross....

Let's see. He made a couple of nice plays against us on a day we couldn't stop anybody. Then 2 TD returns tromping through a 1/2 foot of snow.

At this point the only thing I've concluded is he might be a mudder. If he performs well for the balance of the season under more normal conditions I'll concede the Packers might have made a mistake, with the emphasis on "might".

The fact of the matter is Hyde has been fumble free and has out-gained the Packer version of Ross even if Hyde's stats are not very impressive in the KO game. The issue may in fact be the kick return blocking has been lousy...there is eyeball evidence for this. If Ross continues to put up numbers, we'll have to conclude such is the case.

greenNyellow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you recorded it, watch it again. With HD and "extra" slow motion I thought it was obvious both players avoided touching the ball.

Both were racing to get to the ball because they couldn't be sure it wasn't headed for the end zone. If they both would have stopped and the ball rolled into the end zone, some Packers fans no doubt would have been screaming about how idiotic they were for not downing it before it went into the end zone.

Also, try running full speed while evading world class athletes who would like to 'take your head off' and then stop on a dime. IMO both did well to be in position to stop it rolling into the EX and then in avoiding touching the ball. Bush has been one of the best gunners in the league for some time.

BTW, green and yellow? That's something a Bears fan acquaintance says to me to denigrate the Packers. Just say'n.

I was watching it at a bar on a small TV so it wasn't a perfect picture. To me it looked like he was touching the ball while also in the end zone. OK so I'm wrong there. However the ball was sitting at the one. It wasn't rolling anymore yet they ran to the ball the way they did. Touching the ball at the one isn't downing it. You have to possess it. So what was the benefit in what they were doing? Ball was dead at the one. They should have slowed down or just don't attempt to touch it if you have all your momentum going into the end zone.

Green and Yellow and Green and gold are the same thing.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Lets see....travel across the state in avg car, round trip - $48
park in lambeau - $30
tickets for 4 people - $1000
food for tailgating - $150
adult beverages - $50
snacks/beverages during game - $70

That comes to $1,348, and that's on the reasonable side. Not mad yet that you have paid this to see them down 21-10 at half to a 3 win dome team at home while on a 5 game skid that resembles the Jaguars?

Sorry there is plenty of gas in that boo tank. LOL

Been there done that (money wise) several times in about 5 different stadiums, BUT...at my one and only time being at Lambeau, there was no way that I would ever boo the Pack...and we lost to the Steelers! I've said it before and I'll say it again..I plan on being in Lambeau for a win...because even though we lost that game, it was the most amazing experience in my football lovin life! I've may have yelled a "COME'ON!!" a time or two...but never....EVER....a "BOOO"!

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, it used to be that Packer fans considered themselves above the boorishness of the run of the mill fan. It used to be that Packer fans set the bar for all other teams. It used to be that Green Bay was always home field advantage. I remember how people booed and even threatened Rodgers. In my opinion, that's classless. The small town, apple pie image is tarnished by the new entitled society, IMHO.

That "image" was in your head. Packer fans were booing regularly at Lambeau in the late 70's, just like every other fan base has done at one time or another.

Know why it doesnt happen much these days? Because we're usually pretty good. Good teams tend to not get booed as often as bad teams, but it still happens during poor stretches. Not rocket science.

By the way, booing Rodgers just simply for taking over for Favre is completely different than booing a team for poor performance. I certainly don't agree with those who booed him. And yet once again, I don't hold some sort of unrealistic expectation that a stadium of nearly 80,000 normal people is going to remain calm, silent, and stoic during one of the worst stretches for the team in years.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
However the ball was sitting at the one. It wasn't rolling anymore yet they ran to the ball the way they did. Touching the ball at the one isn't downing it. You have to possess it. So what was the benefit in what they were doing? Ball was dead at the one. They should have slowed down or just don't attempt to touch it if you have all your momentum going into the end zone.
That punt took an odd bounce at the end. Judging by where it hit the ground I'm sure they were anticipating the ball to bounce into the end zone so the were gearing up to make a diving attempt at keeping it out. Instead, the ball just kind of died at the 1 yard line so they did the best they could to avoid touching it. I really don't know where the complaint is. They both beat the jammers and were in position to make the play and the outcome couldn't have been much better considering the way the ball just died like that.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I came here to add him to the list.. The man comes through in some clutch situations (aka Super Bowl)

Without Masthay's amazing punt, we would have probably lost on a game losing field goal... Punting to the 1 yard line?? Really? Truly amazing!

Not to disagree with you, but his INT in the Super Bowl was a horrible play by him that ended with a great result. He completely blew his assignment and let Heath Miller run free with nobody within 15 yards of him. Luckily, Ben didn't see him (or expect him) to jump the inside route and threw it there anyway. I understand that sometimes jumping a route pays big dividends, but normally you do it on the guy you are already supposed to cover and who you have safety help[ with if you swing and miss. He left his man wide open and jumped another guy's WR.

But in the end, it worked and was the best of results. I like the guy, but don't trust him as more than a nickel back.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to disagree with you, but his INT in the Super Bowl was a horrible play by him that ended with a great result. He completely blew his assignment and let Heath Miller run free with nobody within 15 yards of him.
How do you know what his assignment was? The play is on YouTube. You can see its clearly a zone scheme. Roethlisberger was looking at his man the whole time. It was obvious where he was going with the ball and Bush jumped the route. As for Miller, if anything it looked like Woodson was late on the switch.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. The Packer fans are among the most knowledgeable in the League.
I cannot agree with this for various reasons.

First, my mom and her 7 sisters are huge Packer fans.
If I could repeat a lot of things they have said this year and in the past, about football, the Packers..... well.....

Also, I was at the last Packer-Cowboy game here in Dallas, 2007, and on the right of me was a Packer fan, a guy about 40, 45 years old. He had a Packer jacket on, was rooting for us.

He did not know who #31 was.
For us.
Al Harris.

I don't know what team's fans are the most knowledgeable, but I surely am not proud of ours. Sorry mom, sorry Aunties..... sorry cousins.....

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ross....

Let's see. He made a couple of nice plays against us on a day we couldn't stop anybody. Then 2 TD returns tromping through a 1/2 foot of snow.

At this point the only thing I've concluded is he might be a mudder. If he performs well for the balance of the season under more normal conditions I'll concede the Packers might have made a mistake, with the emphasis on "might".
You act like anybody could have returned 2 kick or punts for a TD yesterday in that winter weather.
Nobody else did it twice.

Jacoby Jones took one back.
No Eagle, in that same game, DeSean Jackson specifically, took a kick or punt back to the house.

And what's wrong with doing it in bad weather, if that's what the weather is?

His 2 big fumbles were his fault.
But had there EVER been any holes, any blocking, he could and probably would have bought himself some time, some patience.

Desmond Howard was given up on in Washington before we took a chance on him. He was a failure before. And after.

I wanted to give Ross some more time, but since there was never any blocking on our special teams, it wouldn't have mattered.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Wanted to say that before Ross there was Cobb, who was awesome yet to valuable. Kind of wish we kept Shakey yet he couldn't come through a few years ago and make the team. Yeah right now we may not of found a replacement, YET how many other places have needed to be filled.

I'm not a fan of booing at the Pack, yet in some sense there are some fans that have been spoiled in how great the Packers have been for years and its foreign to them of how to act when they aren't doing well. Its something you shouldn't do, yet its also a way to get the point across that there are problems that need to be fixed.

H

HardRightEdge

You act like anybody could have returned 2 kick or punts for a TD yesterday in that winter weather.

That's not what I said. Actually, just the opposite...I said I need evidence to be convinced he's not just a mudder...perhaps uniquely gifted to return under those conditions, which is not very useful except perhaps once every few years.

I wanted to give Ross some more time, but since there was never any blocking on our special teams, it wouldn't have mattered.

Hyde has outperformed Ross behind the same lackluster blocking.

Repeating one's self does get tiresome.

Last edited by a moderator:

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do you know what his assignment was? The play is on YouTube. You can see its clearly a zone scheme. Roethlisberger was looking at his man the whole time. It was obvious where he was going with the ball and Bush jumped the route. As for Miller, if anything it looked like Woodson was late on the switch.

Because Heath was already 4-5 yards behind Woodson when Bush jumped the route. If anything, how do you know who Ben was looking at? His head was facing in the direction of 3 options, including Miller. I know what his assignment was, because, like you said, it was a zone scheme, and Miller was already behind the other 2 defenders who were already covering someone else. If anything, Woodson made the switch after he noticed Bush let Miller run free to green pastures.

EDIT: Actually, watching it again for the first time since 2011, I guess it could go either way. Neither of us can know 100% what exactly was supposed to happen there, but we can both agree that the result was awesome.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts