Studs & Duds: Steelers Edition

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When we got that first and goal. Should of spiked the ball. 3 plays with about 20 sec left. Could of gotten it in.

There was 1:02 left on the clock when Quarless was tackled at the 5. I don't even think a spike was necessary, but it's unreal how we ran out of time with 1:02 left from the 5 yard line.

D

Deleted member 6794

Here ya go, pal.
You might need a decoder ring.
I can't quite understand what went wrong myself. :confused:

http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...the-ball/092d30bd-276f-4297-a227-bba395e8798a

I have absolutely no idea what the O-liners are talking about. At the time the umpire told EDS not to snap the ball the clock wasn´t running, so of course he´s not allowed to snap the ball. At the time the ref started the clock the umpire was already some yards away, so he should have been able to snap it.

BTW it was 2nd-and-goal, Flynn should have just spiked the ball there.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, if you watch the play again, the false start and whistle occurred with 23 seconds left. The clock then winds down to 20 seconds.

I have no idea where our home cooking was from our clock operator, because that was a ****-poor job. If the clock stops even at :22 instead of :20, we get one more play off at the end with :01.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The false start was inexcusable period. These guys know the rules and are aware of the run off i'm sure. This is not on Flynn or the clock operator so please stop blaming them. If the linemen keeps his big butt in his stance the Packers would have had an extra 10 secs to work with. That was a mental error made by the player in a citical situation. This is what i mean when i say this team will break your heart because where they should have mental toughness they seem to lack it at the most critical times. Perry jumping off sides? linemen jumping off sides? Quarless running into Flynn causing him to throw a pick six? Not being prepared for a fake punt? Raji mugging a guy in the face giving up 15 free yds? come on man that's all mental mistakes that cost us the game.

narmer2000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy was an animal yesterday and Boykin was too. Both studs.

Lets add the Eagles to the stud list as they kept the dream alive by asswhipping the Bears.

Duds list is a long one: Newhouse for the one play holding drive stalling penalty, Special teams kick coverage for not showing up, Matt Flynn for the overthrows, pick six, fumble, and not having the peripheral vision to avaid sacks, Perry for the false start on the field goal, and whoever on the Oline for the last false start penalty.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the funny thing about the refs ******** us there, after Nick Perry screwed us there, after Flynn screwed us there...

It didn't/doesn't matter at all that we lost! Not one iota to making the playoffs!
Had we won, we STILL would HAVE TO BEAT CHICAGO, just like it is now having lost.

The game meant NOTHING to us.
Kinda like the game meant nothing to the EAGLES last night vs Da Bearz.... win or loss, they still HAVE to BEAT DALLAS next Sunday.

That should ease the sting of that failure a little bit last night, for some folks in here.

All eyes on Cutler, and Forte, and Jeffrey, Marshall, Martellus Bennett.
OK that is helpful to know.
On the one hand, I agree that it technically doesn't matter.
On the other I disagree because morally it would have uplifted the fans and the players had we won.
Given them motivation going into next week's game.

Based on what you stated, let me ask this for anyone to answer.
Suppose that we and Bears had won. Would we still have had to beat Chicago or would we have been out?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those complaining about the end of the game management by Flynn et al., let's remember that that situation never would have occured without Perry making the single dumbest mistake I've seen since Bush tried to pick up a fumble in the playoffs against the Giants. I know the Bush play cost us the game but Perry's play may well have cost us the playoffs this year. Not trying to excuse Flynn for ******** that up but maybe they had already called a play they liked and decided to go quick and surprise the defense; just think there's no possible excuse for Perry's mistake while there might be reasons behind Flynn and the offense.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I went and watched the tape of our game yesterday, and two things stood out for me.

1. This is the best crop of running backs the Packers have had since I started watching them. (2002) Ahman was probably better, but Najeh was not even close as a second option. The announcers kept quoting **** Lebeau yesterday when he said "this is the best 1-2 punch in the NFL" and he wasn't lying. Lacy showed great vision and cuts to find the whole, and once he hit it, he took out/dragged anyone in his way. Lacy's cuts were textbook of the zone blocking scheme. And when Lacy went down, we appeared to lose nothing with Starks. Starks has the best vision of his career and was looking like a Jamaican sprinter against the defenders used to Lacy's slow and strong demeanor. Heck, Starks was averaging almost 10 yards a carry until we got down into the redzone on that final drive. Our offensive line was playing good, but not great so I gotta give the credit to the RB's. Great job.

2. On the other hand, this is the worst defensive line play I've seen by the Packers since-and maybe even worse than 2011. Pitiful. I found two instances where Mike Daniels was triple teamed and neither the linebackers or his fellow lineman could reach the ball carrier before he was 4, 5 yards downfield. Boyd, Jones, Wilson, none of them showed pressure. And the big guys "taking up blockers"? Raji, Pickett, were single covered almost the whole game effectively. Seven men in the box and against the worst rushing team in the league and you hit him behind the line once? Poor showing. As good as this unit was playing at the start of the year, the tables have turned.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The false start was inexcusable period. These guys know the rules and are aware of the run off i'm sure. This is not on Flynn or the clock operator so please stop blaming them. If the linemen keeps his big butt in his stance the Packers would have had an extra 10 secs to work with. That was a mental error made by the player in a citical situation. This is what i mean when i say this team will break your heart because where they should have mental toughness they seem to lack it at the most critical times. Perry jumping off sides? linemen jumping off sides? Quarless running into Flynn causing him to throw a pick six? Not being prepared for a fake punt? Raji mugging a guy in the face giving up 15 free yds? come on man that's all mental mistakes that cost us the game.

Rodell, no one is "blaming" the clock operator, but it should be obvious that to burn 1:02 from the 5, there are a lot of factors that contribute. The false start, not letting the Steelers score on 1st down (we would have been able to use our last timeout instead of the 10 second runoff + running clock) the playcalling, Flynn not seeing Nelson open over the middle, the spotting of the ball and the ready, any extra seconds that tick off after completion of a play (these do add up and could have added up to an extra play). All of these contribute. It's not any one thing.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I went and watched the tape of our game yesterday, and two things stood out for me.

1. This is the best crop of running backs the Packers have had since I started watching them. (2002) Ahman was probably better, but Najeh was not even close as a second option. The announcers kept quoting **** Lebeau yesterday when he said "this is the best 1-2 punch in the NFL" and he wasn't lying. Lacy showed great vision and cuts to find the whole, and once he hit it, he took out/dragged anyone in his way. Lacy's cuts were textbook of the zone blocking scheme. And when Lacy went down, we appeared to lose nothing with Starks. Starks has the best vision of his career and was looking like a Jamaican sprinter against the defenders used to Lacy's slow and strong demeanor. Heck, Starks was averaging almost 10 yards a carry until we got down into the redzone on that final drive. Our offensive line was playing good, but not great so I gotta give the credit to the RB's. Great job.

2. On the other hand, this is the worst defensive line play I've seen by the Packers since-and maybe even worse than 2011. Pitiful. I found two instances where Mike Daniels was triple teamed and neither the linebackers or his fellow lineman could reach the ball carrier before he was 4, 5 yards downfield. Boyd, Jones, Wilson, none of them showed pressure. And the big guys "taking up blockers"? Raji, Pickett, were single covered almost the whole game effectively. Seven men in the box and against the worst rushing team in the league and you hit him behind the line once? Poor showing. As good as this unit was playing at the start of the year, the tables have turned.

After watching Raji this year, I would be flabbergasted if some team opens up their wallets and pays him as one of the top D-linemen in the game. He is going to have to pray that some GM pays him on name without watching any current film on him.

I simply can't overstate how bad Raji and Pickett are. I can't imagine why anyone would think they are good other than name.

Keep in mind this was the worst running game in the league. No problem, they still gashed us for over 5 YPC.

Last edited:

yooperdiehard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
110% agreed HRE.
Flynn did very well considering who he went up against.
And not just in the Squelers game.
I put the blame or the duds on any of the other Packers but Flynn.

Yes he was not horrible but why the lack of urgency in the last 40 seconds, walking up to the ball, and why didn't he know the clock was restarted after the penalty? Why Why Why ? ( blow nose , wipe tears)
we had enough time for two pass plays !!!

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds.

Special Teams stunk badly.

You have to be more specific. Coverage units were poor. Return units OTOH, were very good with returns of 40 and 71 yards on kickoffs and a couple decent punt returns.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It feels surreal that we still have a chance to win the North next week...it felt like the loss to the Steelers eliminated us...
Philly made sure the loss was irrelevant. Even if we had won we would have had to win next week anyway, so thanks to Philly this game ended up not mattering, and thanks to the Giants, the Lions are done. Just think of it as the Bears and Packers both already making the playoffs. Ours just starts a week earlier than everyone else's playoffs.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He seems to have a lot of problems with back shoulder and fade passes to the endzone and has a really hard time keeping it in bounds. I hope we accordingly adjust our playcalling in the endzone.

Overall he has done about as well as could be expected. No one should have expected him to be Aaron Rodgers.
In the end, this loss might have been a blessing in disguise. If Flynn would have lit up the Steelers like the second half last week, some team probably would try to sign him as their starter again this offseason. Now, I don't think that happens and we should be able to keep him around as our #2 QB for a few years. There's no doubt he's a capable backup, but it's also clear he's not a long-term starting prospect and today was a reminder for any GM out there who might be thinking about drinking the Kool-Aid on him again.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
STUDS: Chicago Bears. Thank you for giving the Packers another chance to find a way to win the division smh. I don't expect either team to do didly in the playoffs anyways.

DUDS: NFC North: The entire division laid an egg yesterday. Lions had everything fall there way with both the Packers and Bears losing. All they hadto do was beat a sorry Giants team at HOME and choked..again smh wow.

Bears could have sent us home and wrapped up the division. Instead got whomped and looked awful. So instead of resting guys next week in a seemingly meaningless game vs the Packers it will be win or go home.

Packers found another way to lose at home after giving us all false sense of hope that this team has what it takes to make some noise in the playoffs. People compare this team to the 2010 team but fail to mention that the 2010 team had a top 10 defense and got hot at the end of the season. This team is ONLY in the thick of things because the Lions and Bears can never take care of business when they need to. Rodgers or not the Packers will have an early exit...thats if they even beat Chicago Sunday.

Vikings?? well? i don't expect much from them so i won't waste my time.
Word is, Da Bears lost on purpose so that we could play A-Rod, get him hurt and win the division,and A-rod can miss most of next season,so the Da Bears can have another chance at winning a division..(I Know what you are thinking(STAY OUT OFF THE MED CABINET) so excuse this sarcasm, I used up the meds after we blew the game...

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Philly made sure the loss was irrelevant. Even if we had won we would have had to win next week anyway, so thanks to Philly this game ended up not mattering, and thanks to the Giants, the Lions are done. Just think of it as the Bears and Packers both already making the playoffs. Ours just starts a week earlier than everyone else's playoffs.
If the Packers screw this up the Christmas Presents should be suitcases for individuals to find another team..Week 15 NO MORE EXCUSES...

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Just wanted to reiterate the dud for McCarthy. Should have let them score the 5 yard TD at the end of the game instead of wasting time. That extra timeout would have come in real handy at the end of the game.
MM just looks stunned most of the time….and a little indecisive wish he would give up play calling and get a coordinator, so that he can focus on the overall aspects on both sides….

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You didn't have to be a coach to be stunned with what happened from 3 minutes to the end. Lombardi would have said "What the Hell is going on out there".

Last edited:

RustyShackleford

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM just looks stunned most of the time….and a little indecisive wish he would give up play calling and get a coordinator, so that he can focus on the overall aspects on both sides….

During the Rodgers era there haven't been that many close games so it wasn't as obvious, but recently there have been so many close games that McCarthy's bad clock management has really become apparent. No excuse for it, even though I'm sure it's not as easy to manage with all the other things he has going on at the time.

Rather than changing the playcalling, though, I would like to see someone up in the box whose sole responsibility is to provide the necessary input for these types of special game/clock situations. It's not that complicated, but just needs someone who's not otherwise distracted.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
During the Rodgers era there haven't been that many close games so it wasn't as obvious, but recently there have been so many close games that McCarthy's bad clock management has really become apparent. No excuse for it, even though I'm sure it's not as easy to manage with all the other things he has going on at the time.

Rather than changing the playcalling, though, I would like to see someone up in the box whose sole responsibility is to provide the necessary input for these types of special game/clock situations. It's not that complicated, but just needs someone who's not otherwise distracted.
So you do believe me when I said we need a coordinator,who can suggest plays to the QB from the booth...

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw nothing wrong with his play-calling. IMO, criticism of play-calling by fans is usually misguided anyway. If plays are successful, nobody complains. If the team doesn't execute, the complaints come. I thought the handoff to Kuhn for the TD was a stroke of genius, frankly. Nobody on the Steelers saw it coming.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Flynn was aware, as was MM...the refs on the other hand screwed up yesterday at that 10 sec mark

Members online

Latest posts