Studs and duds Viking game

H

HardRightEdge

Duds: Back 8. It's easy to pick on Williams (it was a very poor game on his part), but the entire back 8 was a 2010 flashback. The DBs tackled poorly, they missed assignments and they threw in few a backfield peeks-for-picks for good measure. I didn't see a comment above on the general LB play, but we got very little tackling productivity out of them; they didn't show up except for a couple flash plays from Matthews from the backside. Here's the good news...nowhere to go but up.

Dud: Memo to Raji...when a guy is embarrassing your team play after play, and you manage to get a tackle for loss, don't go wagging any fingers. You end up looking as foolish as Barnett digging graves after getting his a*s kicked.

Dud: McCarthy...throwing flag.

Dud: McCarthy leaving the O out there for 4th. and 11 on MIN 40, before calling TO and thinking better of it. We could have used that TO.

Dud: Barclay. What can be said...just dreadful in pass protection. Where was the help.

Stud: Starting with the last drive of the 3rd. quarter, MM went to slants to move the ball...got us a FG. Got some key yards on slants in the second half. Jennings 45 yarder was a short seam route (nice). Got a nice 12 yard gain on a bubble screen. Best I've seen the short-between-the-numbers passing game in quite some time.

Studs: Rodgers, Jennings, Finley...given the quality of the pass protection, that was an outstanding pass game effort.

Stud: Did anybody see Harris in pass pro one-on-one with Allen with a head of steam? He didn't quite stone him, but he stopped him in his tracks. Besides the running game, the guy can play some football. One nice catch too. Not sure he's a 20 carry per game guy, but we should be keeping him around.

Stud: Looks like Ross will be Cobb's successor as the returner. That should save us a mid-to-low draft pick.

Hjalmar Davidson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
studs:​
Peterson -stud might be an understatment​
Rodgers - excellent game in a hostile venue , 34 should have been enough to win​
Greg Jennings​
Finley​
Nelson​
Ross - this kid looks great​
Harris - I like him better than Grant​
Ponder - we made him look like great​
duds:​
Our secondary -especially Tramon, played lousy​
Loadholt -penalties​
Barclay - struggled with the noise, but he will be ok I think​
Brad Jones - seemed to be out position a lot​
Our defense - again looked like they cant tackle any body, not enough pass rush either​
Packer fans - some of whom are so spoiled by good QB play that they expect perfection now.​
I just want add that was an awesome football game. I dont like losing, but man that was a classic game. Cant wait to see the rematch ! GO PACK !!!​

H

HardRightEdge

Duds:

Field: WTF we slipped around ten times on major plays

I noted that, persisting into the second half, but I don't think it was the field. I didn't see any Vikes slipping. I was tempted to give a "dud" to the equipment manager for not bringing the right spikes, but who knows. You would have figured spike changes would have been in order at halftime.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was pretty impressed with Harris and Ross today...did very well!
Other studs:
Jordy
Jennings
Jones
Rodgers
Clay
Crosby

Duds:
McCarthy
Secondary - Especially Tramon..so stupid
Other LBers
Grant
Barclay

I really hate that we play Grant. He gets a couple TD's and he's our starter now? Harris is way more consistent and overall has more talent.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I really hate that we play Grant. He gets a couple TD's and he's our starter now? Harris is way more consistent and overall has more talent.

Grant did have a good game last week, or no?

Take in consideration that practice time during the week Mm makes the call who starts..

Grant started, but once he faltered, how many more touches did he have? I think MM plugged his plug at exactly the right time

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did, but looking at his past games it wasn't normal, mostly because it was the Titans who are ranked 24th in rushing defense.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Before this game, I was thinking if it were me, I'd start Starks in the playoffs if he could go. Yes, Starks. But, the more I watch Harris run, the more I like him... so I say we ride him. Hope Harris is our 2010 Starks.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of all the Duds listed, MM deserves mention once again for throwing the challenge flag. If Jordy hadn't been so on the ball, that would have nullified the review and cost us a TD. MM really worries me sometimes.

Studs:

Jordy for picking up that flag!

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanna give props to those who stepped up. Ross and Harris saw their opportunity and seized it. I'm glad to see Ross because we won't have to put Cobb back there to return as much. Harris ran hard and didn't stop churning his legs, he had great vision, and protected the ball well. Too many duds for me to point out.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds: both offensive tackles. 5 sacks, lots of pressure from the Yikes' defensive ends, including the hit on Rogers that caused the fumble. The offensive line remains a work in progress, now in Campen's 6th year as an offensive line coach. Amazing.

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dud: 1st quarter offense. After two 3 and outs to start the game and falling behind 13-0; the Vikes never were in the uncomfortable position of having to play from behind.

Stud: Last 2-3 quarters of offense. Did pretty much as we pleased and finally made it a game. However; too little, too late with our defense reeling from poor play.

Rematch #2 at Lambeau will require 4 quarters of offense or at least a much better start! Because, face it, our best defense against AP will be our offense scoring "early and often" to force the Vikes into the unwinable position of relying on their QB/WRs.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds: Jennings: how do you drop that TD. Rodgers: bad attitude throughout the game and he took 2 sacks by not getting rid of the ball Offensive line. McCarthy: Team was un-prepared, and how do you screw up on that flag rule? If anyone is supposed to know it, it's the guy who's been coaching for over 20 years, not the country boy from Kansas! Hawk: I'd be willing to bet his wife, daughter and brother in law know who had coverage on Peterson on that TD catch, yet AJ didn't. Burnett/Hayward: I'll give both the blame cause I'm not really sure whether Burnett had coverage or if the kid actually blew one.

Studs: Jeremy Ross: The kid had a great day in the return game, and hopefully McCarthy and Co. will realize they don't need Cobb returning kicks anymore.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Duds: Jennings: how do you drop that TD. Rodgers: bad attitude throughout the game and he took 2 sacks by not getting rid of the ball Offensive line. McCarthy: Team was un-prepared, and how do you screw up on that flag rule? If anyone is supposed to know it, it's the guy who's been coaching for over 20 years, not the country boy from Kansas! Hawk: I'd be willing to bet his wife, daughter and brother in law know who had coverage on Peterson on that TD catch, yet AJ didn't. Burnett/Hayward: I'll give both the blame cause I'm not really sure whether Burnett had coverage or if the kid actually blew one.
Jennings: Same way the Vikings receiver dropped the EXACT SAME CATCH.
McCarthy: Flag rule hasn't been around for over 20 years. For 20 years he threw the flag.
Hawk: got BURNT.
Burnett: was MD Jennings.
You: throw the baby out with the bath water because of 1 play.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings: Same way the Vikings receiver dropped the EXACT SAME CATCH.
McCarthy: Flag rule hasn't been around for over 20 years. For 20 years he threw the flag.
Hawk: got BURNT.
Burnett: was MD Jennings.
You: throw the baby out with the bath water because of 1 play.

Ya know what? I'll take crap from fans who can remember who was the QB before Lynn ****ey, not someone who can't tell me who was the QB prior to Favre. You've bagged on me on what 3 or 4 posts now?

FACT: McCarthy is apprised of every rules change. FACT: Jennings caught and bubbled that shoulda been TD pass 4 times before it hit the turf, so he had many chances NOT to drop it! FACT: In just about EVERY communication miscue the last 2 years in the secondary/linebackers it has been either Hawk or Burnett, so I was basing my opinion on that.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
FACT: In just about EVERY communication miscue the last 2 years in the secondary/linebackers it has been either Hawk or Burnett, so I was basing my opinion on that.

You know it is a fact that the communication miscue blamed on Hawk or Burrnet? Everyone of the miscues? blame on them?

Please explain how you know it only was from them 2

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Ya know what? I'll take crap from fans who can remember who was the QB before Lynn ****ey, not someone who can't tell me who was the QB prior to Favre. You've bagged on me on what 3 or 4 posts now?

FACT: McCarthy is apprised of every rules change. FACT: Jennings caught and bubbled that shoulda been TD pass 4 times before it hit the turf, so he had many chances NOT to drop it! FACT: In just about EVERY communication miscue the last 2 years in the secondary/linebackers it has been either Hawk or Burnett, so I was basing my opinion on that.
John Hadl, and Don Majikowski. Didn't even have to look it up.
Fact: Habits are hard to break.
Fact: It's not as easy as it looks.
Fact: Hawk error had nothing to do with communication, he got beat to the outside. As for "Burnett" Calling an adjustment and someone else failing to adjust are two separate things.
Fact: I "bag" on your posts because they are inflammatory, uninformed, and shortsighted. That makes you a troll, an idiot, or casual. Take your pick.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know it is a fact that the communication miscue blamed on Hawk or Burrnet? Everyone of the miscues? blame on them?

Please explain how you know it only was from them 2

Every big play we've given up is because one of them has been out of position or thought someone else had a receiver/back wide open. Only reasoning I have.

Members online

Latest posts