Studs and Duds: Total Beat-down

L

Lunchboxer

Studs Aaron Rodgers,James Jones,Finely,Shields,Mike Neil,AJ Hawk,Clay Mathews,Cobb

Duds, Nobody.

Other thread is still locked.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Studs- the entire TEAM only one penalty, whens the last time that happen...
Duds- only a 1/4 dud for not getting that shut out, guess I am being too greedy..

H

HardRightEdge

Studs:

Hawk: He had a great game...DPOW candidate. He's had quite a turnaround from that abysmal 2011 effort. He might be Comeback Player of the Year among those not on IR in 2011. ;)

MM: He finally got jiggy with a little West Coast attacking the short middle zones in the early drives...amazing how that works for establishing tempo and sustaining drives.

MM: Went for it on 4th. and 1 at TEN 37; 4th. and 3 at TEN 38. Crosby aside, these should be the default calls in the NFL, some specific game situations excepted.

The D in general; outstanding 2 games running:

4 of 17 on 3rd. and 4th. down; 59 plays; 180 yds; 26 min. TOP

Hard to call out a dud in an a*s whooping like this.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Got to give Cobb and extra Stud card, that play on the KO out of bounds, man he is not only tough but reads the rules book, I confess ignorance on that rule myself...

dantastic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb and AR were for sure the studs on offense. Loved Hawk and even Brad Jones played well defensively.

My vote for dud is the Titans fan moping in the stands today.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cobb and AR were for sure the studs on offense. Loved Hawk and even Brad Jones played well defensively.

No kidding. Losing or not, he should realize he is in the Mecca of all football and simply be happy to be sitting that close to the field where Nitschke, Taylor, Dowler, McGee, Starr, White, Davis, Wood and every other great Packer of the last 55 years bled (yes, Favre too, I suppose.)

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Got to give Cobb and extra Stud card, that play on the KO out of bounds, man he is not only tough but reads the rules book, I confess ignorance on that rule myself...

As he was getting ready to pick up the ball, you have to wonder if he was telling himself, "Man, I hope the zebra behind me knows the rules!"

L

Lunchboxer

My vote for dud is the Titans fan moping in the stands today.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Jabba the hut attended the game.

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What were some of the changes complainers have specifically suggested other than hindsight bias because a play didn't work because the defense made a play or players didn't execute.

For me, he is actually calling run plays more often and not constantly having Rodgers throw the ball. This has been going on a few weeks now but i think it has finally sunk in and the packers are actually running the ball. Which will become even more important come playoff time when you need to run the clock down in order to secure a victory. And with the patchwork Oline, the running game is that much more important because it helps keep rodgers upright.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
What were some of the changes complainers have specifically suggested other than hindsight bias because a play didn't work because the defense made a play or players didn't execute.
If I never hear the words "Screen" or "Slant" again, it will be too soon. GD Bubble Screens...

Reaction score
For me, he is actually calling run plays more often and not constantly having Rodgers throw the ball. This has been going on a few weeks now but i think it has finally sunk in and the packers are actually running the ball. Which will become even more important come playoff time when you need to run the clock down in order to secure a victory. And with the patchwork Oline, the running game is that much more important because it helps keep rodgers upright.
I totally agree. Mike McCarthy wanted to run the ball in the first half after he learned what happens when you abandon the run in a game( Seattle , colts) after this he knew to run the ball. The thing is when he wanted to run the ball we weren't producing in the run game and how are you going to take the ball out of Rodgers hand when it wasn't producing. We were in a difficult situation at that time. Now we can run the ball and it is somewhat opening the pass game. This is when our offense is best. Balanced

H

HardRightEdge

1. Attacking the short middle between the numbers...slants, middle screens, zone seam sit downs. I'm not talking about goal line slants here. These types of passes do nothing for your fantasy stats, but they help to sustain drives and influence safeties setting up down field passes. This shortcoming has been noted since last season on the GBPG forum, and as recently as this past week. We passed short middle 7 times against TEN...that might be a season high.

2. Kicking FGs in the 45 - 55 yd. range on 4th. and short offers a poorer risk/reward equation than going for it in most situations, slump or no slump. Some late game / OT situations would be exceptions. This was argued here before MM starting going for it in these situations.

3. Running Green 20 times per game is a losing proposition; the guy is a third down back, and he runs best out of shotgun. This assessment was made the first time he carried 20 times; the idea that alternating backs for change of pace was noted. Also, his productivity seems to drop as the halves wear on (this is a more recent observation not previously noted).

4. Running gadget plays on 4th. down deep in your own territory is stupid. This opinion had been expressed after Kuhn ran for a first down out of punt formation deep in our own territory early in the year. There was little agreement that this was a dumb call because, I presume, it worked. Then we have the botched punt return lateral against the Bears. Though MM's view on such high risk/low reward attempts is not known, I'd venture a guess we won't be seeing anything of the kind the rest of the year. Whether something is dumb or not does not depend on whether it succeeds; the likelihood dumb stuff will hurt you increases the more often you repeat it.

Reaction score
1. Attacking the short middle between the numbers...slants, middle screens, zone seam sit downs. I'm not talking about goal line slants here. These types of passes do nothing for your fantasy stats, but they help to sustain drives and influence safeties setting up down field passes. This shortcoming has been noted since last season on the GBPG forum, and as recently as this past week. We passed short middle 7 times against TEN...that might be a season high.

2. Kicking FGs in the 45 - 55 yd. range on 4th. and short offers a poorer risk/reward equation than going for it in most situations, slump or no slump. Some late game / OT situations would be exceptions. This was argued here before MM starting going for it in these situations.

3. Running Green 20 times per game is a losing proposition; the guy is a third down back, and he runs best out of shotgun. This assessment was made the first time he carried 20 times; the idea that alternating backs for change of pace was noted. Also, his productivity seems to drop as the halves wear on (this is a more recent observation not previously noted).

4. Running gadget plays on 4th. down deep in your own territory is stupid. This opinion had been expressed after Kuhn ran for a first down out of punt formation deep in our own territory early in the year. There was little agreement that this was a dumb call because, I presume, it worked. Then we have the botched punt return lateral against the Bears. Though MM's view on such high risk/low reward attempts is not known, I'd venture a guess we won't be seeing anything of the kind the rest of the year. Whether something is dumb or not does not depend on whether it succeeds; the likelihood dumb stuff will hurt you increases the more often you repeat it.
1) you can't run slants and all these plays right up the middle when the defense is dropping players into coverage. It's harder to do than you think and I doubt Mike McCarthy doesn't call these plays. 2) I somewhat agree with you on this one, but Crosby has been terrible from far out. His kicks have movement on them and they never go straight. Right now I trust Rodgers completing a 4th and short than Crosby kicking a 50 yarder. 3) if you watched the early games you would know that when the packers got pass happy Aaron Rodgers got man handled by the pass rush. For instance Seattle 7 sacks early. We ran the ball in the 2nd half and we had no sacks. This is why we ran Green 20 times to take pressure off Rodgers. Then We started to mention split backs when it wasn't working and we did. We included Starks and now Dujan Harris and grant. 4) this one is an obviously a bad play call with the laterall backwards because it didn't work. But our special teams plays have worked for the most part. It helped us win the first bears game

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts