1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

STL Game Notes: Offense / ST

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by HardRightEdge, Aug 17, 2013.

1. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1,229 / 60 / -6
    Packer Fan Since:
    The problem is that Franklin does not look like an NFL runner. Lacy does. It doesn't take much watching to see the difference. I suppose Franklin is given the benefit of the doubt because he has not had a chance to fail, unlike Green. Everybody loves the fresh face.
  2. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1,229 / 60 / -6
    Packer Fan Since:
    I didn't. I very much disliked the Perry pick and the Green pick, and I've not seen anything to change my mind. Now, if we ever motioned a tailback out to the slot, Green might be of use.
  3. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings Received:
    +952 / 48 / -3
    Packer Fan Since:
    He'll never be spectacular between the tackles if that's what you're looking for. Just not his game. REALLY needs to learn how to cut back.
  4. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1,229 / 60 / -6
    Packer Fan Since:
    Yes, I am saying that. And he's not Jamal Charles either. Lacy, and even Harris, are better blockers. I fail to see what's to get excited about, or even how he differentiates himself from Green. Guys who get glowing reports from practice and then don't show up in games are concerning to me. I like Harris a ton more, and that doesn't leave much for Franklin to do...the kick returns are uninspiring as well.

Expecting a guy to "learn to cut back" is a tall order. About all you can do is work on "patience", which boils down to timing. After that it's vision and instincts and those things cannot be taught.
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  5. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings Received:
    +952 / 48 / -3
    Packer Fan Since:
    I think he's got better vision and instincts than Green, but has yet to be decisive. He's a slightly better Green from 2-3 years ago. I like Harris much better too.
  6. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1,229 / 60 / -6
    Packer Fan Since:
    I could quibble around the edges, but I think that's a fair assessment. Green, on the other hand, is outstanding in space while inadequate in other aspects of the TB job. That means he's not a tailback, but he could be a weapon.
  7. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1,076 / 15 / -7
    He never said YOU did. Maybe it means something different in the massacre of the Mother tongue. bazinga :D
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  8. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings Received:
    +1,702 / 44 / -15
    I agree it's way too early to call Franklin a bust but I am drooling (figuratively) over Lacy. My only concern with him is injuries. He's got the size and IMO its obvious he has the instincts to be the best RB in Green Bay since Ahman Green. Franklin needs time to acclimate to the Packers' offense, so he does less thinking and relies on his instincts. It looks to me like Lacy would succeed quickly in any scheme.
  9. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +2,517 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    I called my Bear's fan buddy yesterday and drooled over Lacy too...Then in our draft last night he took Lacy before me

lol
  10. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan USMC4EVER

Ratings Received:
    +1,139 / 72 / -13
    Packer Fan Since:
    I hope he took him as bench RB only. I doubt he will get the typical amount of carries to be any type of force factor if fantasy foorball.
  11. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +2,517 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    Yeah was maybe his 3rd back
  12. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1,015 / 46 / -1
    Packer Fan Since:
    I finally got to watch the game last night. The recap on Page 1 is on target. My big offensive beef comes from the failed 3rd and inches in the first quarter. I watched the replay probably ten times to see why that running play blew up. The answer is simple actually - everybody blocked poorly. Sitton, EDS, and Lang all got knocked backwards/sideways/down as the DL blasted through our blocks. Bakhtiari appeared decent but only because he went quickly off a combo block and on to block a linebacker. Newhouse also went to the second level and seemed to turn a linebacker sideways which may have been enough to get the inches needed. Mulligan on the near side literally stood up and (I kid you not) could be heard saying "Ole!" as he yanked the red cape out of the way allowing his defender straight into the backfield...where he blew up Kuhn. The worst blocking was on the backside where the DE came straight down the line with little done to slow him down. The weakside DB flew behind the line and is the one that actually tackled Lacy, although Lacy was already running into his own OL and Lang and EDS were getting knocked on their butts.

The game overall was great to watch, but that was easily the worst overall play that I've seen from the Packers in a long time.
  13. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +727 / 15 / -3
    Packer Fan Since:
    After they got Lacy in the 2nd, I was kind of hoping they would draft Lattimore late in the 4th as a future/luxury pick. That would still give us Lacy and Harris this year with their choice of Starks, Green, and Pease as a 3rd back.

I wasn't disappointed with Franklin, though. Just too early to tell on him.