Still figuring out the Peppers at OLB situation

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like the title says. I'm a little curious where we are going with this Peppers at OLB situation. Im as concerned as when Kampman was opposite Mathews. Concerned but optimistic. Kampman was coming around IMO when he got hurt...Hopefully Peppers can do the same..?
I got burnt a couple years back on a debate about Aldon Smiths position. He played DE/DT in college, and had his hand in the dirt every time I noticed him... And yet he is an OLB...Since then I've seen him stand and move around. Even drop into coverage a couple times... But all in all, he's moving around looking for weaknesses. And hits the hole with a head of steam. Im sorry, but who is going to stop Peppers coming out of a 3 point stance, when Peppers is 3 steps into a sprint???Can you say 20 sacks a year??? Just like when Reggie white was given the option to move around and pick his spot. Peppers and his experience will be able to disassemble and destroy O-lines...
greenbay has Mathews opposite him. A talented young and deep secondary. And an overload of quality D-linemen to choose from. Peppers has a supporting cast.
This is the best sense I can make of the whole situation...Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the same string of thoughts. What is Perry going to do? I would put his hand back in the dirt, like he wanted to do. And throw in a few 4-3 sets in the mix... cant tell me Raji, Daniels, with Jones and Perry at DE. Combined with Peppers and Mathews outside them?????? Ummmmmmm holy chizzy.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the same string of thoughts. What is Perry going to do? I would put his hand back in the dirt, like he wanted to do. And throw in a few 4-3 sets in the mix... cant tell me Raji, Daniels, with Jones and Perry at DE. Combined with Peppers and Mathews outside them?????? Ummmmmmm holy chizzy.

The problem is that 4-3 OLBs aren't pass rushers, they're run players and coverage players.

If the plan is for Peppers and Matthews to be responsible for running backs and tight ends 90%-95% of the time you run that grouping, you plan would work. However, you should realize how bad that sounds.

H

HardRightEdge

Peppers is an older gentleman. I'd figure him for about 50 - 60% of the snaps, nearly all in nickel, and mostly with his hand in the dirt as an "elephant" edge rusher . Most 3-4's mix in hybrid formations such as this, but this will be a new look for Capers (and perhaps not entirely of his own free will).

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Take Raji out of this line up and put Hyde or Burnett at MLB and that could be the dime defense.

cara murphy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I'm looking forward to not only proving to myself that I can do it, but proving it to a lot of people who don't think I can do it." -Peppers. Just waiting for his performance

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Peppers is still an elite talent that will win a lot of one on one matchups. He is going to create problems for opponents as a pass rusher. He wasn't brought in to cover tight ends. It all starts with Raji, if he decides to play hard and fast consistently in his limited snaps, our defense is going to be very effective.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Peppers is certainly older and no doubt has lost at the very least a half a step, people seem to forget that he is a freak athlete. The guy could have gone pro in either football or basketball. He simply has natural gifts that a man of his size rarely have. People have brought up the Aaron Kampman comparison and they are just flat out wrong. Kampman was not half the physical talent that Peppers is which I am sure will draw some ire but it is the plain and simple truth

With Peppers it is all going to boil down to how much these physical gifts have dwindled at this point in his career.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't know who brought up Kampman as a comparison to Peppers but I agree it's a bad one. As you said, Peppers is a much better athlete and is freakishly athletic for his 6-7, 287 frame. (Kampman was about 6-4, 260.) Another difference between the two is attitude. As I’ve posted before, I was very disappointed in Kampman for his attitude when Capers arrived; IMO he didn’t give his position change his best efforts. OTOH, Peppers is looking forward to playing in Capers’ D. This is from Wilde’s story on Peppers yesterday:
“I’m actually having a lot of fun. I’m enjoying it. It’s a little different than what I’ve been used to in the past. I actually think it fits my skill set better than just being down every play. I’m having fun doing it. I’m just enjoying it.” He also appears to be pretty good at it. Even at age 34, his athleticism was on display during Monday’s practice, as he dropped in coverage several times and stayed with a tight end or receiver as if he’d done it his whole career. In truth, he rarely dropped into coverage in Chicago, save for the occasional zone blitz.

“I'm not surprised, but the way he's played in space has been impressive,” Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. “For any quarterback that has the out-breaking throw, when a man of his range [is defending], that's a different throw. “He's here to go towards the quarterback – we all understand that – but when he does drop, he has great ability and range. And you look at his ball skills, he handles the football like an offensive player.”
http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=14731&is_corp=1

jsonline also has a story on Peppers as reporters swarmed his locker after practice yesterday.

Green and Gold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Cautiously Optimistic" is, I think, the best way to describe how most people feel about Peppers. I definitely don't think he's going to be to these Packers what Reggie White was in the past, but good things happen when you put athletes like him in green and gold. I don't think Kamp was excited like Peppers seems to be. Also, Kamp wasn't nearly as athletic as Peppers is.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to take the time to look it up, but when Peppers first agreed to join the Packers he stated that his preference had been to go to a 3-4 defense when he left Carolina. So the mind is willing and that's more than half of the equation.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have heard that Peppers is quoted as saying that Matthews is teaching him things he never knew and will make him a better player.
I can hardly wait to see these two together on the field.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I have heard that Peppers is quoted as saying that Matthews is teaching him things he never knew and will make him a better player.
I can hardly wait to see these two together on the field.

He didn't need CM3 to sit him down and teach him anything, hell.... all he had to do is go back and watch packers vs bears game film for the last few seasons and watch CM3 make Jay cuntler his prison *****.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope that you all read this one already, but just in case....

http://www.sportspickle.com/2014/07...rag-cigarette-sighs-steps-onto-practice-field
Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler begrudgingly began another football season today when he took a long, slow drag on his cigarette and snuffed it out on the ground with his foot before sighing and slowing walking onto the practice field.

“I guess I have to do this again,” Cutler said glumly to no one in particular. “May as well get it over with.”

The 2014 season will be Cutler’s ninth in the NFL and sixth with the Bears, “but every year it’s harder to show up,” he told a reporter. Cutler then added: “Wait, why am I talking to you? Go away. You’re a nobody.”

After extinguishing his cigarette, Cutler strolled over to a coach and said: “So, do you have plays or whatever for me to do?”

A few minutes later Cutler was seen lobbing some passes to a Bears receiver in between scrolling through his cell phone. He then laid down on his back, put his hat over his eyes and took a 30-minute nap while practice continued around him. He finally woke up when a whistle was blown near him.

“What the hell, man?” he said, rolling over. “I’m trying to rest up for the season and you guys are blowing ****** whistles. Come on.”

The quarterback then went back to his room to play Madden.

“You know, to learn our plays or whatever.”

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peppers played over 800 snaps last year, including special team plays. He probably worn down
Near the end of the season and I would expect his snaps this year to be around 500 - 600.

Members online

Latest posts