Steelers Pouncey in hard cast, likely miss game vs Packers

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Sucks for Pouncey if he does miss the game. That's gotta suck to play all year to get there, and wham. You can't play. Would make me sick if I was him.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Won't believe it until I see him out on the sidelines and the backup playing.

And if so, it's a HUGE break we got. The kid is really good.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Beware of trickery. For all we know somebody could of leaked this info on purpose to try and mess with the Packers. I would not be too surprised to see him on the field on SB Sunday. If indeed he does have to miss it, that is a sad for him and the Steelers.

SyX

Stranger in a strange land
Reaction score
Raji is going to be MVP of the game if Pouncey is out. You heard it here first.

Raji could be the MVP is Pouncey isn't 100%. Freeney had a high ankle sprain in last year's SB, and it destroyed his effectiveness. Easier to "hide" a hobbled DE than a hobbled center.

Pouncy may well turn into the best center in the NFL, so this would be a big break for the Packers.

43Hitman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raji could be the MVP is Pouncey isn't 100%. Freeney had a high ankle sprain in last year's SB, and it destroyed his effectiveness. Easier to "hide" a hobbled DE than a hobbled center.

Pouncy may well turn into the best center in the NFL, so this would be a big break for the Packers.

I disagree with the bolded part. A Pass Rushing DE has a lot more to do athletically than a center does. Especially a DE that relies a spin move to get to the QB. Also its worth mentioning that Pouncey had this exact same injury on his other ankle in college and played in two weeks.

Coach Tomlin has a saying about backups though. He refers to them as starters in waiting and constantly preaches to the team that the standard is still the standard regardless of who is playing. If he's hurt and can't go, I expect Legursky to do his job. Admittedly Raji is going to be force to to deal with, even if Poucncey was 100%, but with some nice blocking schemes and quick slants, we may be able to limit his effectiveness.

SyX

Stranger in a strange land
Reaction score
I disagree with the bolded part. A Pass Rushing DE has a lot more to do athletically than a center does. Especially a DE that relies a spin move to get to the QB. Also its worth mentioning that Pouncey had this exact same injury on his other ankle in college and played in two weeks.

Coach Tomlin has a saying about backups though. He refers to them as starters in waiting and constantly preaches to the team that the standard is still the standard regardless of who is playing. If he's hurt and can't go, I expect Legursky to do his job. Admittedly Raji is going to be force to to deal with, even if Poucncey was 100%, but with some nice blocking schemes and quick slants, we may be able to limit his effectiveness.

Wow, guess I need to proof read what I post (oops), started typing one sentence, changed my mind, went on to another thought and got distracted. Now I can't remember where I was going with either. I think it was something to the point of what you said, but I've shoveled too much snow today to think straight.

As far as Tomlin, I agree. I honestly think it is better if they know right now and prepare not to have Pouncey in than to have him go down on the first series of the game. Plenty of time to have Ben work with Legursky and have the Steelers work on a game plan for dealing with Raji.

He's sticking with Chuck Noll's "Next Man Up" system, where he believed that no individual made or broke the situation. Everyone on the team is valuable and has a job to do.

Rather like what the Packers have had to deal with this season with all their injuries.

43Hitman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, guess I need to proof read what I post (oops), started typing one sentence, changed my mind, went on to another thought and got distracted. Now I can't remember where I was going with either. I think it was something to the point of what you said, but I've shoveled too much snow today to think straight.

As far as Tomlin, I agree. I honestly think it is better if they know right now and prepare not to have Pouncey in than to have him go down on the first series of the game. Plenty of time to have Ben work with Legursky and have the Steelers work on a game plan for dealing with Raji.

He's sticking with Chuck Noll's "Next Man Up" system, where he believed that no individual made or broke the situation. Everyone on the team is valuable and has a job to do.

Rather like what the Packers have had to deal with this season with all their injuries.

Exactly. Personally I think Mike McCarthey (sp?) is deserving of Coach of the Year. However, if there was ever a year where there could be a Coach of the Year and Co-Coach of the Year, this is the year. I think Mike Tomlin has done a helluva job, but I'm admittedly biased. lol

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I am in the Pouncey thread.... don't count this guy out yet. There still 11 days til gametime. I expect he suits up. He's young. They heel faster. Nothing is broken, it's all about pain, and they'll inject the hell out of him with whatever works, whatever Favre took for all those years.

Latest posts